Trailers that spur our interest

Darrel Manson

I saw a trailer today for Masked and Anonymous. Very interesting to have a child singing "The Times They Are A-changing" and then cut to Dylan not singing.

Nice cast, but early reviews available at RottenTomato don't look promising. Pity.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Yeah, the review I read of Masked and Anonymous was utterly disparaging.

I've had a busy weekend of movie viewing, with a few trailers sparking my interest:

- Hidalgo looked like it could be an entertaining action flick, starring Aragorn himself, Viggo Mortenson.

- Kevin Costner is taking another turn at the turn-of-the-century Western hero - I forget the film's name.

- A trailer on the Fast Runner DVD was practically the only positive thing to come out of that rental. The movie's entitled Lagaan, apparently a musical about an Indian/British cricket match. I read some online reviews which were quite favorable -- anyone seen it?

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

BTW, that trailer for Peter Pan looks ... well, fantastic may be a bit much, but it's up there. And what song is that? -- the one with the cascading piano chords? I love, love, love the sound of it.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The movie's entitled Lagaan, apparently a musical about an Indian/British cricket match. I read some online reviews which were quite favorable -- anyone seen it?

Seen it. Loved it. Of course, I tend toward character pieces, and this 3 hr film has about 12 of them. The costumes are colorful, the music is ... a taste of India. Well, I assume. I've never been there.

And my parents are farmers, so I was even more inclined to like the protagonists in the movie. Plus, the antagonist is extremely seedy for a proper British officer.

Oh, in keeping with the theme of this list, I haven't seen any previews lately that have enticed me to see a film. The last film I saw because of a preview was Limbo. But, I also knew it was directed by John Sayles, and I wanted to learn more of him/his films.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Tara, did you see "Lagaan" letterboxed? I ask because I just checked out the "formatted for my TV" VHS version from the library. An Indian friend had recommended the film, but when I asked whether the VHS would be acceptable, he warned me off it, said Bollywood filmmakers use the edges of the frame more than American films, and that I'd be missing too much if I saw it cropped.

Since you've seen it, what's your take? Should I devote 3-plus hours to a cropped version, or seek out the letterboxed DVD? I'd rather watch the free rental, but not if it's going to kill the viewing experience.

These multiple forums are cool, but the downside is that now I have to remember I posted about "Lagaan" in the "Looking Forward in Film" subcategory, in a thread about movie trailers.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Tara, did you see "Lagaan" letterboxed? ... An Indian friend had recommended the film, but when I asked whether the VHS would be acceptable, he warned me off it, ...

That's an interesting take on Indian filmmakers often using the edges of the frame....

I know it was a VHS copy, and (after looking in the library catalog) it must have been the VHS duo which is not letterboxed (ie, WS).

Since you've seen it, what's your take? Should I devote 3-plus hours to a cropped version, or seek out the letterboxed DVD? I'd rather watch the free rental, but not if it's going to kill the viewing experience.

Well, my advice: If you're on a budget, see the cropped version. It's still worth it!

But, I always prefer to see a WS version. I think pan-and-scan is choppy--especially in movies like "The Mission", "Lawrence of Arabia", the Indiana Jones trilogy, and "The Man from Snowy River", where the panaromic sense and incredible scenery is marred.

I guess I'd probably put "Lagaan" in this category too, since the choreographed dance scenes and indelible Indian countryside deserve to be seen in WS glory.

(I see the library has a WS DVD available, too. I like "Lagaan" so much, I'm going to watch it again!) smile.gif

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

BTW, that trailer for Peter Pan looks ... well, fantastic may be a bit much, but it's up there. And what song is that? -- the one with the cascading piano chords? I love, love, love the sound of it.

I agree I'm quite looking foward to this film, even if my brother is not. And does anyone else agree that Jason Isaacs as Hook is a brilliant piece of casting? Anyway, the song you are looking for is "Clocks" by Coldplay.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

(I see the library has a WS DVD available, too. I like "Lagaan" so much, I'm going to watch it again!) smile.gif

Well, you inspired me to investigate my local library catalog, where I discovered that "Lagaan" is available on DVD as well as VHS. Two copies were listed as "not checked out," so I put a hold on one and rushed to the local branch to pick it up.

It's not there. They told me both copies at that branch had been missing for a while, and they put a trace on them. But there's another DVD copy circulating in the system, so I'll get that copy as soon as it's returned and forwarded to my local branch. Thanks for the suggestion!

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Anders wrote:

: Anyway, the song you are looking for is "Clocks" by Coldplay.

Thanks!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Peter:

BTW, that trailer for Peter Pan looks ... well, fantastic may be a bit much, but it's up there.

Really? I thought it was rather awful, myself... But then, the hit-and-miss ratio of trailers to movies is really high in my book. I hope the movie is good.

Also, I forgot about Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Is that still on the schedule for this year?

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Oh! Once Upon A Time In Mexico is very high on my radar of films I can't wait to see.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Just saw the trailer for it--looks great. Irresistible, even. Hope the movie measures up!

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Oh! Once Upon A Time In Mexico is very high on my radar of films I can't wait to see.

I can't agree more. Did you catch that bit in the trailer that looks like an homage to a scene from his first film El Mariachi? There are a few short clips of Banderas and Hayek landing on a Bus that looks exactly like the one in Mariachi.

American Splendor also looks hilarious.

Shaolin Soccer looks like mindless (but spectacular) entertainment.

I know Northfork is playing in some places but it's not in Hawaii yet so that's on my list.

You know, nothing makes me happier than seeing a good movie...but a good trailer can get me close.