Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Civil War Photographs

CNN just posted this sample slideshow of LoC Civil War photographs, some of which are positively haunting. Just thought the Civil War buffs around here would be interested.

I did chuckle a bit at the second one: "Union Gen. Herman Haupt crosses the Potomac River on a one-man pontoon boat he invented..." It must have taken him ages to perfect the design of "two floating devices upon which sits a plank of wood."

CNN just posted this sample slideshow of LoC Civil War photographs, some of which are positively haunting. Just thought the Civil War buffs around here would be interested.

I did chuckle a bit at the second one: "Union Gen. Herman Haupt crosses the Potomac River on a one-man pontoon boat he invented..." It must have taken him ages to perfect the design of "two floating devices upon which sits a plank of wood."

Water displacement, load balance, center of gravity, etc., I give Gen. Herman some props for his invention, however, I do wonder if he received and patent for it.

I think my favortie shot coupled with the backstory is of Johnny Clem. Most boys his age tag along on fishing trips and business deals but, at 9 years-old, Johnny chose to tag along with the 22nd Michigan Regiment and eventually retired a General.

I think my favortie shot coupled with the backstory is of Johnny Clem. Most boys his age tag along on fishing trips and business deals but, at 9 years-old, Johnny chose to tag along with the 22nd Michigan Regiment and eventually retired a General.

Well, he was doing something right even then. He's fourteen in the picture and already a sargeant!