Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Andy Whitman is going to write for AllMusic Guide

I just learned from Andy's blog that he's joining forces with Thom Jurek and the AllMusic Guide gang.

Wow, that site's just getting better and better.

Congratulations, Andy. I hope this means I'll be seeing even more frequent music reviews from you.

Will you still be writing your unconventional, personal commentaries for Paste?

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I saw the news as well, and am equally excited about it. If AMG wasn't already my one-stop-shop for music information and reviews, it would be now. Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Thom Jurek, and Andy Whitman.. hos could you POSSIBLY improve on that line-up?

(Well, I suppose you could add Amanda Petrusich...)

(And me... hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Congrats Andy. Great news for you and even better news for AllMusic Guide. They're getting a gem of a writer.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them. Thom Jurek was very helpful in making this happen.

And Jeffrey, life with Paste continues as it has. There's no change there, at least as far as I know. I'm just adding AMG. More music to review, and more reviews to write. That's a good thing.

Andy, your writing always makes me a bit envious (in a good way!). You have a gift, and you deserve to be read. Congrats.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Andy, just to let you know, I've been on the look-out for your reviews at AMG and haven't spotted any yet. Let us know when your work starts being posted!

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Andy, just to let you know, I've been on the look-out for your reviews at AMG and haven't spotted any yet. Let us know when your work starts being posted!

I will. You haven't seen any because I haven't written any, because I haven't been assigned any albums to review, even though I've requested specific albums to review several times.

Editors on vacation? Second thoughts about my contributions? Limited nuclear warfare in Ann Arbor, Michigan? Your guess is as good as mine.

It's probably nuclear war. It's the only logical explanation.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

I haven't been assigned any albums to review, even though I've requested specific albums to review several times.

Story of my freakin' life, man. (Not with AMG, but with...I dunno, most places I write for.) Glad to see some have shown up!

I saw the news as well, and am equally excited about it. If AMG wasn't already my one-stop-shop for music information and reviews, it would be now. Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Thom Jurek, and Andy Whitman.. hos could you POSSIBLY improve on that line-up?

(Well, I suppose you could add Amanda Petrusich...)

(And me... hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)

If you can contact Stephen Thomas Erlewine anyone, tell him he made a mistake in his Beatles' Revolver review on AMG, writing Lennon was responsible of "Yellow Submarine", whereas it's a McCartney song. ;)

Does anyone know the status of AllMusic.com? I go there weekly to pull up AllMusic reviews related to a Will Friedwald album guide I've been going through. I've noticed that with some artists, their more recent albums get a User Rating but not an AllMusic rating. In other words, no one at the site has written a formal review of said album, or often of several recent albums by whichever performer I'm looking up. I noticed this again, just now, when pulling up the Fred Hersch discography, which has no AllMusic reviews since 2013. 

Has the site stopped reviewing new releases? Maybe this happened years ago, or maybe the site has chosen to focus on more popular artists only? I'm probably years behind the curve here, but anyone who knows me knows that's not unusual.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I don't use AllMusic as regularly as you do, but I still go there periodically to review discographies.  Like you, I've noticed more albums are lacking reviews; for instance, Kanye's latest got a review, but Bruce Cockburn's last two albums get nada.  (And on Wikipedia, I learned that all Bryan Adams' references were removed from the site in 2012, at the request of the artist [I use that term loosely].  Who knew?)

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

They still post a lot of reviews of new releases, but not as many. I suspect they're a smaller operation these days. I should check in with Thom.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.