This may not matter to anyone outside Vancouver, but the Jessie Award nominations were announced yesterday, and our very own Ron Reed was nominated for Best Actor in a Small Theatre production, for his performance as C.S. Lewis in Shadowlands.

The complete nominations for Pacific Theatre, his company:

Supporting Actor, Large Theatre: Bob Frazer,

Prodigal Son

Supporting Actress, Large Theatre: Camille Beaudoin, Prodigal Son

Lighting Design, Large Theatre: John Webber, Prodigal Son

Sound Design or Original Composition, Large Theatre: Paul Moniz de S

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

This may not matter to anyone outside Vancouver, but the Jessie Award nominations were announced yesterday, and our very own Ron Reed was nominated for Best Actor in a Small Theatre production, for his performance as C.S. Lewis in Shadowlands.

Busted.

Just wondering, Ron, why is Prodigal Son considered "Large Theatre" -- because it was a co-production, perhaps?

Has to do with some vagaries about size of budget, ticket prices, Equity agreement under which the show is produced, who knows what else? Quite odd: PS was in the same theatre as all our other shows, with a shorter run, yet qualifies as Large Theatre. Not complaining at all: it's kind of fun to be on the list with the Playhouse and Arts Club. Just odd.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Very cool, congrats.

Now stay humble.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Congrats, Ron.

Who's Jessie?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Hey, congrats to you, Ron!

Thanks, all! I feel a bit sheepish...

"Jessie" was Jessie Richardson, a pioneer of the Vancouver theatre. The Jessie Richardson Awards are kind of like our Tony Awards, awarded annually for work in professional theatre in our region by juries of theatre artists selected by the Greater Vancouver Professional Theatre Alliance.

I'm the first one to say that prizes are completely inappropriate for the arts. This ain't hockey, there aren't winners and losers, there are no goals or home runs or stats or finish lines, it's really kind of dumb. I've said it for decades about the Oscars, I continue to say it about the Jessies and the Junos and whatever else is out there.

But in recent years I've made my peace with the whole enterprise by seeing it as an annual celebration of an art form. No, there's no point in saying CRASH was definitively the finest film in the universe in 2005, for myriad reasons. On the other hand, I do think it's fab to have a big party once a year and celebrate some of the high points and accomplishments of the year past, whether on screens or stages or in concert halls or on pages. And that's the spirit I now take it all in. I'd far rather just pick some notable work to celebrate and forget about picking a "winner," but hey, I'll settle.

And for a little company like mine, these annual awards are definitely an encouragement. You can begin to wonder whether what you're up to is actually any good. It's nice to hear once in a while, from your peers, that it actually ain't that bad.

Edited by Ron

Yes, Huzzah to Ron and Pacific theatre for raking in like 16 nominations... even sparing one for a rookie like me. Thanks Ron, don't think I'll make it to the party, unless somebody out there wants to sponsor me! Still exciting all the same, even though I am up to the eyeballs in work on Joseph here in Rosebud.

Cheers and All the Best!

Dale Marushy

post-1627-1148767823_thumb.jpg

Yes, Huzzah to Ron and Pacific theatre for raking in like 16 nominations... even sparing one for a rookie like me. Thanks Ron, don't think I'll make it to the party, unless somebody out there wants to sponsor me! Still exciting all the same, even though I am up to the eyeballs in work on Joseph here in Rosebud....

Dale, ya crazy nut! What you doin' round these parts?

Yeah, congratulations, Mr Set Designer! I was going to send you an email but haven't yet managed to find your address. You had a good year out there at the Bud? Which shows did you design?

Boy, you should see Dan Amos in BRIGHT PARTICULAR STAR. He's burnin' up that stage! Plays Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll and a ham actor friend of the macDonald family, Clarence Bicknell.

Dale, ya crazy nut! What you doin' round these parts?

Yeah, congratulations, Mr Set Designer! I was going to send you an email but haven't yet managed to find your address. You had a good year out there at the Bud? Which shows did you design?

Boy, you should see Dan Amos in BRIGHT PARTICULAR STAR. He's burnin' up that stage! Plays Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll and a ham actor friend of the macDonald family, Clarence Bicknell.

• 3 weeks later...

And the winners are:

Supporting Actor, Large Theatre: Bob Frazer,
Prodigal Son

Supporting Actor, Small Theatre: Kyle Rideout,
The Farndale Christmas Carol

Costume Design, Small Theatre: Nicole Bach,
The Farndale Christmas Carol

Congrats!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.