Sign in to follow this  
Cunningham

Cirque du Soleil

I'm watching Cirque de Soleil's Alegria on Bravo right now, and as *always* happens, I'm just sitting here with my jaw hanging in wonder and disbelief. It has become one of my lifetime goals to see one of their shows in person.

However, I'm starting to develope a sort of discomfort with their act. Bizarrely, it's almost *too* good. The whole show seems to be to be little but a beautiful and glorious celebration of the physical prowess and creativity of humanity, not too dissimilar from the prideful project of Babel.

I would actually like to be talked out of the p.o.v. Does anyone here have any alternative "readings" of SdS?

Well, even I thought the Students for a Democratic Society were a bit far out, but what does that have to do with CdS?

I've been to Cirque once and it was really good. We go to Vegas for a wedding in August (who the hell goes to Vegas in August?!?!?) and plan to take in O while we're there. You gotta enjoy surrealism to appreciate Cirque.

I'm watching Cirque de Soleil's Alegria on Bravo right now, and as *always* happens, I'm just sitting here with my jaw hanging in wonder and disbelief. It has become one of my lifetime goals to see one of their shows in person.

However, I'm starting to develope a sort of discomfort with their act. Bizarrely, it's almost *too* good. The whole show seems to be to be little but a beautiful and glorious celebration of the physical prowess and creativity of humanity, not too dissimilar from the prideful project of Babel.

I would actually like to be talked out of the p.o.v. Does anyone here have any alternative "readings" of SdS?

[tongue in cheek]

Heaven forbid! Art that is too good! What were they thinking? Don't they realize we are not to achieve anything greater than mediocrity! How dare they! Only the most sublimely innocuous should be allowed.

[/tongue in cheek]

Seriously. Don't you find it refreshing in the least? I only wish this was more common so that people would be stretched to even higher expectations. It definitely should be taken in the vein of a circus, but what a beautiful circus to behold! Enjoy the beauty. How often do you get the opportunity? Still not sure how one can honsetly compare this to Babel.

I had a friend complain about a newer work by a dance company I work for these days. He says it is only about the energy of the music (lots of Radiohead and Primus). I could only say "Finally! A work that won't bore me to tears! Thank God for some energy at last."

Sometimes something is so refreshingly different it almost doesn't matter. Cirque strikes me as that kind of theatre. No big social commentary, but still a wonderful experience.

Just my thoughts,

Joe Futral

I'm not sure how seeing the shows live would make a difference.... It's not that don't think the whole show is exellently produced, as much as that's whole "theme" seems to be to be, "humanity trancending its limitations." I am just so awed by the beauty and accomplishment on stage that I wonder if it's appropriate for man to make this much of himself. I think the whole adoption of mythological elements into the act adds to this feeling, adding an element of self-transcendence.

I would, of course, need to watch it some more, and hit a live show or two, before I let this opinion solidify much more than it has, but I'm still curious to know if anyone else has thought anything similar.

I used to threaten to run away and join Cirque...du Soleil or Magnifique, either would do.

I haven't seen them since checking them out at the library and watching PBS as a child, and I have also not seen them live.

That said, I understand how people can find some of their presentations strange or that they glory in something uncomfortable (and now they have an adult themed show). But I STILL cannot get over the beauty and wonder of their performance. It answers my childhood question, "What could be better than the ballet?" -- The ballet in the AIR!

Also, I find a lot of the sports teams, musicians, and actors that I watch also try to bring glory to something in themselves or human achievement in ways with which I wouldn't agree...but I can still find the agile maneuvers of an overly-cocky running back amazing!

I'm not sure how seeing the shows live would make a difference.... It's not that don't think the whole show is exellently produced, as much as that's whole "theme" seems to be to be, "humanity trancending its limitations." I am just so awed by the beauty and accomplishment on stage that I wonder if it's appropriate for man to make this much of himself. I think the whole adoption of mythological elements into the act adds to this feeling, adding an element of self-transcendence.

I would, of course, need to watch it some more, and hit a live show or two, before I let this opinion solidify much more than it has, but I'm still curious to know if anyone else has thought anything similar.

Not to be direspectful, but...It's a show! I think you are thinking too hard. The only thing they are trying to accomplish is beautiful entertainment that, maybe along the way, lifts someone's spirits. Personally I think we have been inundated with so much mediocrity that this is what is clouding your judgement. Just how much is "man making of himself" here that it is too much?

But, hey, I could be wrong.

Joe Futral

Just saw Corteo here in Chicago and I am blown away. I didn't know that art existed in this plane! It was incredible... Every act was energetic, sensual, dynamic and enthralling. As if the body itself is a tool made to express. I must see more of these shows ahead.

-s.

We had nosebleed seats for O. It did give us a great perspective to see the pool and its adjustments. I'd love a behind the scenes tour to see how they make everything work (such as setting up equipment underwater fro when the floor rises).

So, the Cirque is here in Cincinnati for a month. Cheap seats are ~$60. I am utterly bored by CdS on TV, but the wife is interested. Should I expend my Buckeyes tix money (also $60) on this instead? Help me out, people?

$120 to see Ohio State crush Indiana, or $120 to see acrobats and clowns?

So, the Cirque is here in Cincinnati for a month. Cheap seats are ~$60. I am utterly bored by CdS on TV, but the wife is interested. Should I expend my Buckeyes tix money (also $60) on this instead? Help me out, people?

Are they in a tent?

You can see a football any time, and frankly, most football games are better to watch on TV. Besides, you're wife is interested, and she needs a night out with you.

-s.

Are they in a tent?

You can see a football any time, and frankly, most football games are better to watch on TV. Besides, you're wife is interested, and she needs a night out with you.

-s.

Yeah, but college football on TV and in person are two totally different experiences. Well, at least it is in the South, and since you Big 10 fans like to *say* it's just as good an atmosphere in your neck of the woods... Plus, if you're already bored by cds on TV, I wouldn't imagine seeing it in person would make the experience that much more interesting (at least it wasn't when I saw them).

The wife thing though, that's a totally different issue, and completely your call!

I am ashamed... I've been living in Vegas for six months and I've yet to see a Cirque du Soleil show (and not to be a nit picker, but the thread title has a typo). My two friends/roommates saw the new show Love the other month and were pleased.

I really need to catch one of these... And I wouldn't mind seeing the Blue Man Group...

Got some boffo seats for Corteo in Raleigh, and yowza, what a show. I had been a bit underwhelmed by Crystal -- the skating just distanced you from the performers, and I was skeptical that Cirque could translate to an arena show, but this was really cleverly laid out, and the performances were more in the vein of a traditional circus. 

Once every other year or so, I go to live theater or some live performance and I realize how much I miss it. As much as I love movies, there is something uncapturable about live performances.