Ratings/Journal Burnout

Christian

It looks like Alan has gone through a number of threads and added an encouragement to rate the related film.

I admire Alan

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I had a blip with my journal, but I'm back on track now. The key is to have your shortcut go to the edit page for your journal.

As for ratings, I've never (as far as I recall) rated one. I just don't find rating a movie on a scale of 1-5 very helpful. How should I rate SIn City with it's incredible images, but it's appalling worldview? An average 3 stars? Does that bear any relation to a film that's acverage in every regard that should also get 3 stars?

Matt

FWIW, while my ratings system allows me to rank artistic-entertainment value separately from moral-spiritual value, where I have to give a single overall rating, such as here and at Rotten Tomatoes, I use my "Overall Recommendability" rating as my guiding principle.

However, I burned out a long time ago on my film journal.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Copying what I wrote in the Poseidon thread:

- - -

Hmmm, this is at least the second thread [I have already found a third! -- PTC] in which you've posted that reminder twice, Alan. Perhaps you should just format the site so that that reminder ALWAYS appears at the top (or side, or bottom) of threads in the "Film" forum?

- - -

Alan Thomas wrote:

: The purpose of the reminder is also to "bum" the topic back to the topic . . .

Um, not sure how to interpret this sentence.

But if you mean "bump", then I have to say I don't see any advantage to clicking "View New Posts" and going through 20, 30, 40, whatever threads that have nothing new to say except "Rate This Movie!". It gets to the point where if I see that the most recent post in a thread was by "Alan Thomas", I am inclined to skip it -- except that there might be other slightly-less-new posts that I'd be missing.

- - -

Oh, and FWIW, I've been keeping a journal for at least the last 15 years, so keeping it here or at my blog was just a question of moving it from one location to another. I even used to note which friends I saw films with -- THAT is something I stopped doing a few years ago, probably around the time I took my journal "public".

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

solishu wrote:

: I do think that a reminder in all the threads would be helpful. Maybe after the last post in the thread?

Meaning ... a post that always moves itself to the bottom? Is that possible?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I haven't done the ratings thing. It's never appealed to me.

I love teaching: I despise assigning grades to student work. The whole sitting in judgment thing just galls me, without even mentioning the sheer difficulty of doing the task well.

I love movies: why import all the galling aspects of grading into such an experience? It entirely tips the scale of film appreciation over to the dark side.

As for the film journals, I've never kept mine as any sort of obligation to anyone else, and I very much doubt anyone but me ever reads it. But I like being able to go back to it and remember what I've seen. Kind of like a photo album: "Oh, remember when Katie got her new bike? Oh, and wasn't that a great trip to Lighthouse Park? We ought to go there again sometime." That sort of thing.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

I haven't burned out on the film journal, but that's probably because I've hardly seen anything this year. A handful of movies, most of them great, but man... when people ask me what I'm going to do to celebrate once I finish my book, I say, "I'M GONNA WATCH MOVIES, BABY!!"

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 6 months later...
Subsequent ratings replace previous ratings.

You can see your ratings for individual works on the topics for those items.

Aaaahhh... I see now. That's what I was looking for! Thanks. No need for the special report.

Greg Wright

Managing Editor, Past the Popcorn

Consulting Editor, Hollywood Jesus

Leader of the Uruk-Howdy, Orcs of the West