Sign in to follow this  
SZPT

Blender choices

Okay, okay. We actually need one for mudslides and margaritas.

We've got an old Sears one that my mom gave us when we got married. I swear it has been around for 25+ years, and still does a decent job with most tasks. Problem is that it doesn't attack ice too well. It takes a few minutes to blend and we've still got little frozen lumps floating around.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at Oster and Hamilton Beach, and the reviews are mixed and vary from model to model. It would be great to get something that does the job and is durable for less than $40, but no more than $50.

Okay, okay. We actually need one for mudslides and margaritas.

We've got an old Sears one that my mom gave us when we got married. I swear it has been around for 25+ years, and still does a decent job with most tasks. Problem is that it doesn't attack ice too well. It takes a few minutes to blend and we've still got little frozen lumps floating around.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at Oster and Hamilton Beach, and the reviews are mixed and vary from model to model. It would be great to get something that does the job and is durable for less than $40, but no more than $50.

I had an Oster for a while. I would suggest something other than an Oster. All of them I've seen use a four-sided "pin" in essence to drive the blades (the "pin" being the gearing between the base and pitcher). It stripped after only four years.

Are you familiar with Cook's Illustrated? I just received my latest edition (July & August) and they reviewed blenders. Their best buy was a Braun PowerMax that averaged around $50. They say that looking at motor power is useless, because what is measured is the amount of powered consumed by the motor, not the power generated by the motor. Data for output wattage isn't disclosed by manufacturer. But what seemed to them to be more important than the motor is the design of the jar. If the jar is tapered towards the bottom, then the food and ice in the jar will be funneled down into the blades. It also helps for the jar to not be round. If it is round, the ice or food can "stick" to sides. If there are a couple of ridges on the inside of the jar, then the food bounces off the ridges and is thrown back into the blades.

BTW: the best blender they reviewed for crushing ice is the L'Equip R.P.M. that costs around $134, which was on the low end of those they reviewed.