If you opened a restaurant:

What would it look like?

What would you serve?

Supper or dinner?

What would it look like?

What would you serve?

Supper or dinner?

This question was posed to me by a friend about 3 months ago. It was something I had considered (not because I really wanted to or felt led to open a restaurant . . . for some reason it was just in my head, automatically) but not in years.

Let me see if I can remember what I told him to get us going — if this is remotely interesting to people here.

Firstly, it would be liesurely. "Fast food" is convenient (and often unhealthy and uninteresting). I'd be much more on the "slow food" side of things.

Secondly, it would be some combination of relaxing and refined. Something intended to foster relationships and conversation — accoustics would be of concern, to keep noise levels under control. Live music to add to the aura whenever possible.

As I think about it, it would probably have architectural elements of an atrium. Perhaps water features, sculpture, but retaining an intimate and human scale.

Menu choices would be healthy and organic as much as possible, and also creatively crafted and presented well. I would also rotate the menu options; how often, I'm not certain. They would likely include a lot of what I like — lots of cheese and dark chocolate!

Edited by Chashab

What would it look like?

Lots of glass, open space, a good view, and comfortable leather chairs.

What would you serve?

Low fat, sensibly organic, foods with a zesty/spicy kick to much of the menu. As a former editor of a food and lifestyle magazine, I had the opportunity to work with a few spa chefs who new how to wring flavor out of low fat, healthy dishes.

If you can get and retain one of those chefs, you could do very well in the restaurant business.

Supper or dinner?

I'm in Texas, so it has to be "supper" for the evening meal. "Dinner" is the midday meal on Sunday after church when the preacher's coming over... The ritual usually involves the sacrifice of a chicken, coated in flour, and cooked in hot oil 'til crispy. :D

My wife and I have thought it would be cool to have a home cookin'-style restaurant that featured LEFTOVERS. The entrees would be these weird combinations of foods... you know, the improvisational kinda stuff you concoct when there's not much left in the pantry. Pizza Bites on top of caesar salad, crouton-covered pasta, odd-ball sandwich combos, experimental meat loaf and such. With the "leftover" theme, the items would have that last-minute, haphazard appearance, but of course would be carefully engineered meals. Oh yeah, fresh bread at every table too... but only the heels.

The decor would look like the workshop of an eccentric inventor...

We thought it was funny after we discussed this a few months ago, that KFC introduced that goofy platter with mashed potatoes, corn, cheese and chicken bites all thrown into a bowl.

Edited by coltrane

My wife and I have thought it would be cool to have a home cookin'-style restaurant that featured LEFTOVERS. The entrees would be these weird combinations of foods... you know, the improvisational kinda stuff you concoct when there's not much left in the pantry. Pizza Bites on top of caesar salad, crouton-covered pasta, odd-ball sandwich combos, experimental meat loaf and such. With the "leftover" theme, the items would have that last-minute, haphazard appearance, but of course would be carefully engineered meals. Oh yeah, fresh bread at every table too... but only the heels.

The decor would look like the workshop of an eccentric inventor...

We thought it was funny after we discussed this a few months ago, that KFC introduced that goofy platter with mashed potatoes, corn, cheese and chicken bites all thrown into a bowl.

Yes! I'm there!

Although I must say that KFC's contraption does not look or sound appealing to me at all.

You know that I'm a Southern boy 'cuz my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I had forgotten that they put this out. I may have to swing by KFC ma

It's actually quite good. I prefer the rice version to the mashed potatoes version, but that's mostly because KFC's mashed potatoes are so horribly instant. But the corn is great and makes the dish!

I've wanted for some time now to open a 4-star restaurant in a nice log-cabin like setting up here called Tastes Like Chicken.

It would serve various home-cooked American dishes with perhaps some French and English influences.

It would serve dinner.

And I'd place it right at the apex of the hill, up off Interstate 80 but set back a bit, on Donner Ridge.

Edited by Jason Bortz

I'm ok with doing a fast-food restaurant, but one that is riding the trend of low-cost, fast BUT organic, healthy meals. In NY's Chelsea district they have an eatery called "The Better Burger", which is organic-raised beef (or chicken) or thick veggie burgers, with flash-baked fresh-cut fries, horseradish or spiced ketchup, and fresh toppings. Yum.

Apparently there's been some fast-food joints in New England that also appeal to this movement, with a large vegetarian section, with some vegan and/or raw selections. Perhaps a slow-cooker meal of the day. Order up front and leave your name and we will take it to your table. Smaller portions, but free refills on drinks and fries.

... on Donner Ridge.

eh heh. :D I got that. Remind me never to go camping with you. :unsure: