Arvo P

PrivateStorm

Saw it, liked it. Didn't write it up anywhere, but I did quote a line of P

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Hey, thanks for bringing this to our attention, it is on the list. Perhaps a capsule review in the works PTC?

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

ARVO PART: 24 PRELUDES FOR A FUGUE (2004, Estonia, Dorian Supin)

How should a composer approach his work? He has to love each sound, each single sound.

A rare documentary portrait of the composer whose music, along with that of Henri Gorecki, emerged from Eastern Europe in the 1980s grounded in deep Christian faith and and a commitment to both innovation and tradition. The visual appeal of the film is minimal, apart from the occasional cathedral and some brief but strikingly effective color-manipulated landscape imagery (looking like black and white photographs painted over with water-colour), but the matter-of-fact photography matches the utilitarian apartments, rehearsal halls and cinder-block sanctuaries where we witness the composer at work. It's the the sound that is glorious, this quiet-spoken man utterly fascinating. His extraordinary attention to detail amounts to reverence, rendering not only each sound but each human interaction sacred. Part talks at length with a vocalist about a particular moment in a new piece of music: cutting to her performance we are astonished at the nuance, complexity and power of a single phrase, even a single note. In a master class he plays a ten note sequence of two-voice piano music, savouring the separate voices, lingering on each interval, glorying in each change of tonality. We feel we could go on listening to that handful of notes for hours, reluctant to leave the company of this man without pretense who simply loves the sound of things.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd