Playwrighting question

On a related note to the thread on film vs. stage, I'm trying to write my play (Justice, PA) and I'm about 1/4 of the way done. And I'm on the verge of making big decisions about how to write the play so that it is easily producable. Is this a mistake? Should I just let my imagination run wild assuming I have an endless budget so that the story gets told the best way possible, or is it fair to use my creativity to look for simpler ways to get ideas across, with a tip of the hat to high school directors everywhere who don't have scrims or even trap doors?

If you made any special effects or major requirements optional or flexible, smaller outfits could always produce your play, but maybe you would then run the danger of putting people off.

Perhaps you could afford to be imaginative within the script itself, without specifying the technical requirements for each scene, and then have an appendix giving practical suggestions (ie. a range of different suggestions) on how they might be staged, bearing in mind different levels of theatre, different capabilities, budgets etc.

Drop by The Grace Pages, a rest-stop for fellow pilgrims.

-- Dave aka Alvy

Good suggestions Alvy.

This summer has been a blast for me. My wife and I sit back to back in what has now been designated "The Hobby Room". She scrapbooks and I get lost in this new world I'm creating. I've pumped out a 1000 words a day now for a week. God bless summer vacation for teachers!

On a related note to the thread on film vs. stage, I'm trying to write my play (Justice, PA) and I'm about 1/4 of the way done. And I'm on the verge of making big decisions about how to write the play so that it is easily producable. Is this a mistake? Should I just let my imagination run wild assuming I have an endless budget so that the story gets told the best way possible, or is it fair to use my creativity to look for simpler ways to get ideas across, with a tip of the hat to high school directors everywhere who don't have scrims or even trap doors?

If you are not writing for a specific theatre company, venue, or cast then hey, the sky's the limit. However, sometimes certain limitations force us to be creative in ways we never thought of before.

Exagerate the essential. Leave the obvious vague. ---Vincent Van Gogh

• 2 weeks later...

How goes the writing?

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

I'm roughly 8,000 words in. (which by my calculations is about a third of the play since most plays run between 20000 and 30000 words)

I'm enjoying the time living in my created world, but I'm getting nervous that when the summer ends, so will my consistency and discipline. The school year is very demanding, especially since I'm doing two shows this year.

.... The school year is very demanding, especially since I'm doing two shows this year.

Which ones?

I'm pretty sure about The Foreigner, Although I've got to solve the "trap door" problem.

And for a drama, I'm thinking of Judgment at Nuremburg. We have an outstanding German teacher that knows quite a bit about the country;s history and I can cast him as one of the older roles, and let him give us good historical context throughout.

I still have to read a few more dramas to get a better idea of what I want to do. but the newly Pulitzered Proof is on the list.

I'm pretty sure about The Foreigner' date=' Although I've got to solve the "trap door" problem.

quote']

I was in the Foreigner at SPU. I played Ellard. "Two parts Faw-werk." One of the funnest roles I ever had.

Exagerate the essential. Leave the obvious vague. ---Vincent Van Gogh

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure about The Foreigner, Although I've got to solve the \"trap door\" problem.  

Lacking any sort of trap in our stage floor, we located ours on a landing halfway up a flight of stairs leading to the bedrooms. Not only provided a place to do the trap effect, but also a nice prominent acting area.

Ron

I'm pretty sure about The Foreigner, Although I've got to solve the \"trap door\" problem.  

Lacking any sort of trap in our stage floor, we located ours on a landing halfway up a flight of stairs leading to the bedrooms. Not only provided a place to do the trap effect, but also a nice prominent acting area.

Ron

That's Good, I'm thinking along the same lines. Perhaps a trap door that is a facade, in a platform of only two feet or so. Then when the moment comes, Betty will hit the lights as part of the "plan" Ellard makes a fast exit and leaves robe behind.

• 1 month later...