Lauryn Hill: Mysguided?

Christian

Nice profile from "Rolling Stone."

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featu...id=1996&cf=4895

I wrote glowingly about Hill's much-maligned "Unplugged" album, and I stand by the review, but what I suspected then seems to be the case: Hill's learned the Bible, but from just one person -- a cultish figure that no one seems to know anything about. Since no one can comment on what, exactly, Brother Andrew believes, we're left with Hill's lyrics -- searing, heartfelt, full of conviction of sin, but no suggestion that Jesus is the remedy. Still, I find her honesty on "Unplugged" downright profound, and I'm excited to hear about her next record.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Josh Hurst wrote:

: Christian, that appears to be the same link that Jeffrey posted here

: earlier. Check out the other Lauryn Hill thread we have going.

Which would be here. Moderators, feel free to merge these threads, methinks.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I have got to get on the ball. Sorry for the thread duplication.

You know, last night, for the first time in my life, I fainted. I don't think it's anything serious -- probably just the result of staying up late watching baseball, while coping with being out of our house. I've been tired--but not unusually tired, so last night's episode was a surprise.

I tell you all that as a possible explanation for my absent-mindedness of late, and in the hopes that we can transform this thread into one about when and where you fainted -- especially if you're a guy ('fess up). Although that wouldn't be a discussion for the "Albums, Musicians, Producers, Etc." thread -- unless you fainted at a concert or something...

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I just about fainted at the Radiohead show a couple of weeks ago, almost entirely due to the excessive ammount of smokers standing around me! I HATE smoking. The brother beside me wasn't even inhaling; he was just blowing it all in my face, man...

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com