Post a playlist!

Cunningham

I just finished going through my music library, making a playlist of all the songs that I listen to and think, "Wow, I just love that song!" It came out to a 103 song, 8 hour list. For some neurotic impulse to share my taste, I thought I'ld post a ten song excerpt from the master-list and invite others to post a similar 10 song playlist of songs that make them hesitant to turn off the stereo and go to bed (I was up way to late last night because I couldn't bring myself to turn off my computer smile.gif one more song.....) Anyway, here's the list, with notes for songs that might not be readily recognized

A Day at the Races - Jurassic 5 from Power in Numbers (the only rap group besides Soul Junk I'll willingly listen to. Intelligent lyrics, and an old-school approach where 5 MC's rap over beats sewn together by 2 DJ's.)

Rediculous Thoughts - Cranberries from Ode to my Family

Fragments of Freedom - Morcheeba from Fragments of Freedom (Morcheeba is a trip hop/downbeat rock group)

Save Me - Aimee Mann from Magnolia Soundtrack

Flies and Blue Skies - Kings X from Dogman

My Last Breath - Evanescence from Fallen

Leave - REM from New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Last Broadcast - Doves from Last Broadcast (mellow pop-rock)

Capricorn - 30 Seconds to Mars (much less mellow pop rock smile.gif Think Linkin Park without white-boy rapping and lyrics that don't fall into every "alternative music" cliche that exists)

Revolver - Hooverphonic from A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular (pop influnced techno, for listening not dancing. In a similar vein to Moby I would say, except the vocals come from a really talented female singer rather than spirituals. Hooverphonic's stuff seems to always be getting picked up for ads.... Dunno what that says, but I like it)

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley from Grace

Chance for the Chancers - Poor Old Lu

Being in Nigeria most of my life I missed most of what I should have been listening to 7 or 8 years ago, so I've been trying to catch up since coming to college. Just in case you're wondering why I'm listening to Poor Old Lu and the Cranberries now when everybody else stopped 4 years ago tongue.gif

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

Ten songs that have meant a lot to me over the past month or so:

Over the Rhine- Changes Come (from Ohio)

Richard Thompson- Season of the Witch (from the Crossing Jordan soundtrack)

Daniel Lanois- Shine (from Shine)

Radiohead- The Gloaming (from Hail to the Thief)

Lucinda Williams- Those Three Days (from World Without Tears)

David Bowie- A Better Future (from Heathen)

REM- Bad Day (from In Time)

Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (from Grace... good call, solishu)

Emmylou Harris- Where Will I Be (from Wrecking Ball)

U2- Wake Up Dead Man (from Pop)

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Recent songs in my CD rotation:

1. Johnny Cash/The Man Comes Around (Talk about going out in a blaze of glory... this is as fiery as it gets!)

2. U2/Love is Blindness (I've been revisiting this song [and all of Achtung Baby] before Leigh Nash comes along and musses it up in January.)

3. Seal/Love's Divine (Yes, his music is slickly produced and his lyrics are a spiritual hodgepodge, but the guy is a great musician.)

4. Rush/Roll the Bones - Live (And these guys are musician's musicians! From their new 3cd live set released this week. What an experience.)

5. Coldplay/Amsterdam (This tune just has a nice autumn feel to it.)

6. Martyn Bennett/Liberation (He's like a Scottish version of Moby, only better. This song, set to a Psalm, describes what it felt like for Bennett to "lose his faith and find it again" while battling cancer.)

7. Robbie Robertson/What About Now (Why doesn't Robbie do albums like "Storyville" and his self-titled 87 record anymore?)

8. Daniel Lanois, Bono/Falling at Your Feet

9. Radiohead/There There (I have a love/hate relationship with this song... heck, I have a love/hate relationship with the band.)

10. Franco Battiato/The Shadow of the Light (I don't even speak italian, but this song pretty much sums it all up for me.)

Today, my ten would be culled from the following fifteen;

Miles Davis, It Never Entered My Mind

Bruce Cockburn, Southlands Of The Heart

The Beatles, Long Long Long

Lucinda Williams, Drunken Angel

Kate McKenzie & The Fairfield Four, He Knows How Much We Can Bear

Jo Stafford, Haunted Heart

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto, Corcovado

Chet Baker, I Fall In Love Too Easily

Ibrahim Ferrer, Herido de Sombras

Dishwalla, It's Going To Take Some Time

Aimee Mann, You Do