Albums that get no love

I know LOTS of jazz critics who love this album--and I am one of them. I dig anything of Ramsey's on Cadet, and even dig Sun Goddess on Columbia.
The only people snobbier than jazz critics are jazz musicians. There are perhaps no human beings on the face of the earth with a bigger artistic chip on their shoulder, than the underappreciated jazz musician. Their merciless, technical disection of Lewis' playing poisoned me during my impressionable youth. I've since come back around.

Many of the jazz illuminati also refuse to show David Brubeck any love. Bah! I friggin' love Brubeck.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two favourites:

Paul Westerberg's solo career - especially Stereo

Crowded House - Together Alone

Stevie Wonder's Fullfillingness's First Finale gets a little bit overlooked between his other big seventies albums when it's arguably the best.

It's also interesting how albums phase in and out of fashion - no one cared about The Zombies Odessey And Oracle for years but it's now rightly acknowledged as a classic.

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents

Dylan's Slow Train Coming is one of his best albums, even though it's from the period in his career eveyone likes to ignore.

I agree with Dale about Going Public and Jeffrey about Omnipop.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

I happen to be a lone adorer of (former lead singer of J Giels Band) Peter Wolf's _Lights Out_ LP... and so did every major music critic out there... but this (dated) release still remains woefully out-of-print.

I happen to love Christian Rock, from the "Jesus Music" days until the mid-late-90s. Which means that every album in that genre passes muster for "gets no love." This includes the first disc of "2nd Chapter of Acts" "20", Steve Taylor's "I Predict 1990", Petra's "Not of this World"/"Beat The System" and "Back to the Street", Phil Keaggy's "Town to Town," Daniel Amos' "Vox Humana," Michael Omartian's 70's output, and Newsboys' "Not Ashamed."

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

It's not what I normally listen to, but for the longest time I had a tape recording of the Resurrection Band's "DMZ," and I *loved* that tape. It got lost in one of my many, many moves -- it was probably on the brink of getting destroyed anyway, it was so old -- but I really liked that album.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

Daniel Lanois: Acadie As beautiful today as the day it was released.

I picked this up about 6 months ago and have listened to it a whole lot - it's a great record! I actually got that and his latest, "Belladonnna", at the same time, and have listened to Acadie a lot more. While I like "Belladonna", I find Lanois at his best when he balances instrumentals with his songs (which is why "Shine" is my favorite of his records), but "Acadie" has some really lovely moments.

bvl

(The) Verve's first album, Storm in heaven is one of my favourites, but didn't really have any singles on it, so was never that big. Gradually the band became more about Richard Ashcroft writing songs, and less about the band creating swirling, reverb-bathed soundscapes for him to mutter and wail over. Which is a shame, I reckon, because it's a great album, and so much better than Urban Hymns that it's embarassing.

Another one is The Longpigs - The Sun Is Often Out . It's one of my favourite albums from that whole Britpop period. For some reason the band have been largely forgotten; possibily because their demise was so quick that not even a single person ever listened to their second album. This first one is great though.

(The) Verve's first album, Storm in heaven is one of my favourites, but didn't really have any singles on it, so was never that big. Gradually the band became more about Richard Ashcroft writing songs, and less about the band creating swirling, reverb-bathed soundscapes for him to mutter and wail over. Which is a shame, I reckon, because it's a great album, and so much better than Urban Hymns that it's embarassing.

I'm with you, the early Verve stuff is great swirly, psychedelic pop. Storm In Heaven is a fine album, as are the early EPs, such as All In The Mind ("Man Called Sun" is probably my fave Verve song).

I know a lot of people who like the more Ashcroft-centric stuff, but I've found them much shallower than this earlier material.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Sam Phillips: Omnipop - It's Only a Flesh Wound, Lambchop Even her fans rank this one as a misstep. Not me. I think it's wonderfully weird and strange, and a few of the tracks here are among my favorites she's written.

She's brilliant, and the cool thing is she keeps getting better with each new album. Fan Dance is especially cool for me.

As long as we're looking at CCM archive favorites, I always liked Rich Mullin's A Liturgy, A Legacy, And a Ragamuffin Band. Kind of brilliant concept.

And Steven Delopoulos, a folk singer from NYC, kind of hybrid mix between Cat Stevens and traditional greek music. Really good stuff. Me Died Blue is his debut and only album currently.

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Joel, I really like that Delopoulos album, too. It's pretty low-key in terms of the arrangements and musicianship, but the songwriting is really quite strong, at times even remarkable. It's a way-above-average debut; no wonder Over the Rhine picked that guy to open for them on one of their tours!

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

As long as we're looking at CCM archive favorites, I always liked Rich Mullin's A Liturgy, A Legacy, And a Ragamuffin Band. Kind of brilliant concept.
But that album doesnt count cuz its always received its fair share of love-- and deservedly so. Its the best Arvin-produced Mullins album by far.

The stepchild of all Rich Mullins albums is Brothers Keeper, which is actually my favorite and remains the only one that i still play from time to time.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

But that album doesnt count cuz its always received its fair share of love-- and deservedly so. Its the best Arvin-produced Mullins album by far.

Agreed, though Mullins was oftentimes standing in the shadows of the people he helped make famous, like Amy Grant. As is common in the laws of music, the 3-minute radio hit gets put in the CD player over the 5-minute, thoughtful song that actually requires intentive listening to understand. Mullins was no exception.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Sleeping at Last, even with a thread already dedicated to them. Seems that such a good band, especially one that is the personal project of Billy Corgan, should have gone further than they have. But they are the best of alt rock available at the moment. Perhaps Coldplay, except with authentic lyrics.

Delopoulos opened for over the rhine? That's cool, if a bit surprising. Would have been a pretty interesting concert!

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Oh, wow, I just thought of a great one; I have always loved-- and will always defend-- REM's Monster, one of the most reviled and utterly despised albums of the past twenty years. (In fact, I think Pitchfork voted it the worst album ever, or something to that effect.)

But I've always dug it. Then again, I think REM hit their peak as a rock band with New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and I'm a huge fan of Reveal as well, so what do I know about REM?

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Guest thom_jurek

::Daniel Lanois: Acadie

Jeffrey, I share the love of this recording - beautiful, mysterious night-driving music.

I thought this whole topic was for rwecords no one love but you? This album was WIDELY reviewed and appreciated. SO are a whole ot of others here....

Jeff Johnson - Psalmus: he's too new-agey for most folks, but this particular album avoids nearly all of his usual weaknesses. What a soaring, gloriously worshipful album.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Oh, wow, I just thought of a great one; I have always loved-- and will always defend-- REM's Monster, one of the most reviled and utterly despised albums of the past twenty years. (In fact, I think Pitchfork voted it the worst album ever, or something to that effect.)

But I've always dug it. Then again, I think REM hit their peak as a rock band with New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and I'm a huge fan of Reveal as well, so what do I know about REM?

You know, I used to hate Monster (and even wrote a review that said something to the effect of, "I'd rather eat gravel than listen to this again"). But I've since learned to really like it, enjoy its nuances, strip away the tremelo sheen and get at the meat inside. Good pick!

Guest thom_jurek

OK back on track:

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Van Der Graff Generator - Pawn Hearts

ALL of Peter Hammill's solo albums

Pop Group - For How Much Longer Do We Tolerate Mass Murder

Slayer - South of Heaven

Randy Stonehill's first album that I can't remember the name of for Solid Rock -- I HATE all the other ones though.)

The Silencers - A Letter from St. Paul

I agree with Omnipop and The Unforgettable Fire (often my number one U2 recording), however they seem to be getting some love here.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Did I hear someone say Vox Humana? And it was just glossed over like any common CCM? Au contraire, mes amis! It's pretty near perfect.

And now I'm throwing down the gauntlet.

I have never ever met anyone who has or likes Terry Scott Taylor's "Knowledge and Innocence," possibly the BEST album EVER recorded in the HIStory of planet Earth.

Anyone who agrees with me on this can be my friend. Really.

Where is the Life we have lost in living? Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

--T.S. Eliot--

Annelise:

I have never ever met anyone who has or likes Terry Scott Taylor's "Knowledge and Innocence," possibly the BEST album EVER recorded in the HIStory of planet Earth.

Oh man! I haven't listened to this one in ages. I've got a copy back in PA. I don't think it's the best album ever, but I do think it's the best solo album he's done and better than many DA, SE, LD records...

Is that close enough to be friend material? ::blush::

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth