Movies We've Seen the Most Times

Easy reply: The Fellowship of the Ring

My brother and I watched that movie together at least two dozen times before the latter two travesties in that series were released.

That's just how eye roll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I've got any over ten, but more than 4 in no particular order would include:

Star Wars

Life of Brian

Quest for the Holy Grail

Cool Hand Luke

Son of Man

Ten Commandments

Adventures of Robin Hood

The Sting

Jesus (200 series)

Singin' in the Rain

Ones that will be there in the not too distant future

Godfather Magnolia

Punch Drunk Love

Chinatown

Donnie Darko (possibly)

It's a Wonderful Life

And others to be added as I rememer them

Matt

Edited by MattPage

I've seen the original Star Wars films and also Gettysburg the most times. I've been watching them both regularly since I was a small child so I can't even remember how many times.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen Lord of the Rings. The first installment I have probably seen about 12-15 times, and the second one probably a few times less. Oddly enough I've only seen Return of the King five times (I'm due for another viewing soon...).

The most theatrical viewings I've had of one film would be four (I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean four times during the course of summer 03'; here's hoping part 2 is equally watchable). I also saw The Two Towers three times in theaters.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

Probably Fearless (1993) because of the many times that I've forced friends and family to watch it. They always thanked me afterward.

Good reminder. I realize that I've watched FEARLESS quite a few times, for rather different reasons. The first time, it was with a friend who (just like you) forced me to watch it because of his abounding enthusiasm for the film. Unfortunately, I under-reacted: it was okay, no big deal. Then I was at a retreat that he organized, at which he showed the film again (see, he is just like you. In fact, you even look alike!): again, my response was muted, though I continued to find more things to appreciate if not enthuse about. Then I watched it again for a course last summer, and this time the penny dropped, and I became a serious convert. So I watched it again, right away, to really dig into the film's details, to really chew that thing and savour every last mouthful. And I'm sure I'll watch it again.

For me, not being part of the generation that grew up on video, four viewings of a movie is a ton.

I realize ANDREI RUBLEV falls into the same category as FEARLESS for me. Watched it once, was more taken aback than awestruck. But two of my best friends both counted it as their uncontested Number One Favourite, so I bought it and introduced them to each other and we watched it together. Still didn't transport me, but wow, what a rich conversation! Then I recommended it be included in the syllabus for a Regent College course, and ended up facilitating the conversation following the film, and again, third time was the charm: finally I started to really resonate with the film's portrayals of all the various artists, and the prices they paid for doing their work, and the film's hard-won affirmation of the value of the work in the face of suffering, and was deeply stirred. It was as if that mighty bell took a long time to construct, but was well worth the effort on the chance that it would ring so much more deeply for all the effort expended in its making. Then I began the process of watching scenes on their own, and then what was something like a spiritual practice, transcribing the dialogue of the film. Once I've completed that, that'll be four viewings - and heck, the darn thing's so long, that oughta count for even more!

By the way, I was at a party last night, and this question turns out to be a great conversation starter. Amazingly, three people in a row who I asked mentioned THREE AMIGOS as one of their most-watched films. What are the odds?

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Carol Reed's, The Third Man, probably six or seven times.

By the way, and not to name drop or anything, but I'm married to her. We celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary a week from now. She spells her name with an "e" at the end, but that's only since she moved to Canada: on her birth certificate, it's "Carol."

Of course, on her birth certificate it's "Carol Stearns," not "Carol Reed." Or "Carole Reed." In fact, since she moved to Canada before we were married, it probably doesn't say "Carol Reed" anywhere.

Except on her movies, for some odd reason.

Which is really strange, because by the time we were married, she had stopped making movies.

In fact, by the time we were married, she had stopped making movies because she was dead.

Tim Burton's talking about making a biopic about my wife. Focusing more on our wedding, actually, than on the early film-making days. Actually, it could be out already. I don't pay too much attention to movies and stuff.

But to get back on topic, I've seen THE THIRD MAN twice. In fact, I now call it THE SIXTH MAN.

Ron

Or after Ron's last post, its been moved to "Bizarre Ramblings of Men With Dead Wives" which is actually a topic. (it's listed in "Politics" since George W. was the first to post there.)

BTW - Ron- is the Fearless fan and SZPT look-a-like you speak of have a name that rhymes with Fawn Baffney?

Or after Ron's last post, its been moved to "Bizarre Ramblings of Men With Dead Wives" which is actually a topic. (it's listed in "Politics" since George W. was the first to post there.)

BTW - Ron- is the Fearless fan and SZPT look-a-like you speak of have a name that rhymes with Fawn Baffney?

You'll have to be more specific. I know so many people who rhyme with Fawn Baffney.

But, no, actually. I had forgotten that Shawn (or Dawn, or Jawn, or Wawn, or whichever of our mutual friends you might happent to be referring to) was a FEARLESS fan. This is one of my Vancouver buddies.

Yours,

Rawn

P.S. Who you callin' a bizarre rambler?

P.P.S. Actually, if I ever start a bluegrass group, I think that'll be our name. Rawn & The Bizarre Dead Wife Ramblers. Hey, maybe a certain automobile manufacturer could be persuaded to supply us with a touring vehicle, for promotional purposes.

P.P.P.S. My first car was a Rambler. A Rambler Rebel, actually. Fine car. Cost less than five hundred bucks. Of course, I wasn't married in those days.

P.P.P.P.S. Nor did I play in a bluegrass band.

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. I have to go to work.

Without doubt, Midnight Run.

After that, Star Wars, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Wings of Desire, and Three Colors: Blue, Watership Down, U2: Rattle and Hum, and The Muppet Movie.

But I've already seen The New World six times, so at this rate, it's going to be near the top in a few years.

The shame of my moviegoing life... as a youngster who didn't know better, I saw Willow nine times in the theater. I thought Madmartigan rules the world.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Mine is easily Jaws.

My sister and I were a lot like coltrane and his sister, I think. We watched these over and over:

Airplane

History of the World Part 1

Seems Like Old Times

Vacation

European Vacation

Stand By Me

Mister Mom

Better Off Dead

I just remembered; Pirates of the Caribbean. I watched it in the theatre, then rented it to watch it again and for the bonus features. It was a one-day rental. I kept it for two weeks and finally just bought a copy. Watched it several more times after that. Then I got burned out on it and haven't watched it since.

Subtlety is underrated

The movie I've seen the most times is probably A Christmas Story. It helps when a cable channel shows it for 24 hours straight every Christmas. I have to see it at least once every year.

Some other movies I've seen multiple times:

The Blues Brothers

Ronin

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

This is Spinal Tap

Waiting for Guffman

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

What About Bob

National Lampoon's Vacation

Those are the ones I've seen multiple times by my choice. When I was a kid, my dad watched an old VHS tape of Coal Miner's Daughter over and over again to the point that at one time in my life I could quote a substantial portion of the film. But I'm have gratefully long ago cleared out this extra space in my brain.

Also when I was a kid, my brother subjected me to multiple viewings of a grade-B movie called Midnight Madness, about a scavenger hunt in L.A. The only thing that I can remember about the film now is that it featured a young and chubby Michael J. Fox.

Edited by Crow

Probably Fearless (1993) because of the many times that I've forced friends and family to watch it. They always thanked me afterward.

Say, have you seen CRASH?

Wow, I think I can put you guys to shame in terms of repeat watching (or shame myself).

I've probably seen the original Star Wars trilogy each in excess of 100 times. ::blushing:: No exaggeration! I used to watch it over and over, and I still watch it several times a year in the past few years.

I saw The Phantom Menace NINE times in theatres, which is still the record for any film for myself in theatre.

Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and The Lord of the Rings films I saw five times each.

Of course, these are kind of guilty pleasure films that have a cult status in my family.

Oddly enough, after the Star Wars films, easily the film that I have watched the most in the last decade is...

Trainspotting.

Just wondering...What do you get out of so many viewings?

The movie I've seen the most times is probably A Christmas Story. It helps when a cable channel shows it for 24 hours straight every Christmas. I have to see it at least once every year.

Some other movies I've seen multiple times:

The Blues Brothers

Ronin

This is Spinal Tap

Waiting for Guffman

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

What About Bob

National Lampoon's Vacation

Those are the ones I've seen multiple times by my choice. When I was a kid, my dad watched an old VHS tape of Coal Miner's Daughter over and over again to the point that at one time in my life I could quote a substantial portion of the film. But I'm have gratefully long ago cleared out this extra space in my brain.

Also when I was a kid, my brother subjected me to multiple viewings of a grade-B movie called Midnight Madness, about a scavenger hunt in L.A. The only thing that I can remember about the film now is that it featured a young and chubby Michael J. Fox.

Have you seen A Prairie Home Companion yet?

Good reminder. I realize that I've watched FEARLESS quite a few times, for rather different reasons. The first time, it was with a friend who (just like you) forced me to watch it because of his abounding enthusiasm for the film. Unfortunately, I under-reacted: it was okay, no big deal. Then I was at a retreat that he organized, at which he showed the film again (see, he is just like you. In fact, you even look alike!): again, my response was muted, though I continued to find more things to appreciate if not enthuse about. Then I watched it again for a course last summer, and this time the penny dropped, and I became a serious convert. So I watched it again, right away, to really dig into the film's details, to really chew that thing and savour every last mouthful. And I'm sure I'll watch it again.

For me, not being part of the generation that grew up on video, four viewings of a movie is a ton.

I realize ANDREI RUBLEV falls into the same category as FEARLESS for me. Watched it once, was more taken aback than awestruck. But two of my best friends both counted it as their uncontested Number One Favourite, so I bought it and introduced them to each other and we watched it together. Still didn't transport me, but wow, what a rich conversation! Then I recommended it be included in the syllabus for a Regent College course, and ended up facilitating the conversation following the film, and again, third time was the charm: finally I started to really resonate with the film's portrayals of all the various artists, and the prices they paid for doing their work, and the film's hard-won affirmation of the value of the work in the face of suffering, and was deeply stirred. It was as if that mighty bell took a long time to construct, but was well worth the effort on the chance that it would ring so much more deeply for all the effort expended in its making. Then I began the process of watching scenes on their own, and then what was something like a spiritual practice, transcribing the dialogue of the film. Once I've completed that, that'll be four viewings - and heck, the darn thing's so long, that oughta count for even more!

By the way, I was at a party last night, and this question turns out to be a great conversation starter. Amazingly, three people in a row who I asked mentioned THREE AMIGOS as one of their most-watched films. What are the odds?

A friend of mine suggested I see Fearless so I bought a copy used for $2. I liked the climax, but the rest of the movie left me cold. After your endorsement, I'm going to watch it again!

I'm not sure what my answer to this question is. It is probably something boring like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Return of the Jedi. Though in the last few years or so it might be Rounders or the A&E version of Pride & Prejudice.

My mom and sisters used to make a habit of watching all six hours of P&P in one sitting, every year. Did anyone else ever watch the Anne of Green Gables series? I can't think of how many times I've seen that movie, weird as that may sound. Interestingly, in the past couple years, Finding Neverland has taken it's place.

However, the all-time winner for me would have to be the The Princess Bride. It's just as funny as Monty Python, and not half as painful to watch.

If you liked Anne of Green Gables, you might like Christy. I was hooked by it when it was on the air.

Edited by Jana Segal

Reel Inspiration's mission is to encourage and promote the production and theatrical success of diverse films with entertaining, powerful stories that uplift, challenge, give hope or inspire the human consciousness.

Yes I have. I didn't care for it much. Too many coincidences, too many contrivances, too much like a sermon.

I'm not sure how it can be compared to Fearless.

I have seen it, and enjoyed it. I haven't listened to the radio program, but I liked the music in the film, and enjoyed the humor and the interactions between the characters. It isn't the kind of film I would watch multiple times, though.

Yes I have. I didn't care for it much. Too many coincidences, too many contrivances, too much like a sermon.

I'm not sure how it can be compared to Fearless.

In Crash, the coincidences make up a structure with meaning. The meaning is that we are all connected. What we do affects everyone else. Though the movie definately has some tough subject matter, I found this very uplifting.

Fearless is about very tough subject matter as well. Did you find it uplifting by the end? (That's the connection I'm going for here.)

I have seen it, and enjoyed it. I haven't listened to the radio program, but I liked the music in the film, and enjoyed the humor and the interactions between the characters. It isn't the kind of film I would watch multiple times, though.

Just curious... What is it about This is Spinal Tap and Waiting for Guffman that makes you want to see them again and again? (I aask because they seem to be simular in tone to Prairie Home Companion.)

Just curious... What is it about This is Spinal Tap and Waiting for Guffman that makes you want to see them again and again? (I ask because they seem to be simular in tone to Prairie Home Companion.)

Reel Inspiration's mission is to encourage and promote the production and theatrical success of diverse films with entertaining, powerful stories that uplift, challenge, give hope or inspire the human consciousness.

Wow, I think I can put you guys to shame in terms of repeat watching (or shame myself).

I've probably seen the original Star Wars trilogy each in excess of 100 times. ::blushing:: No exaggeration! I used to watch it over and over, and I still watch it several times a year in the past few years.

I saw The Phantom Menace NINE times in theatres, which is still the record for any film for myself in theatre.

Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and The Lord of the Rings films I saw five times each.

Of course, these are kind of guilty pleasure films that have a cult status in my family.

Oddly enough, after the Star Wars films, easily the film that I have watched the most in the last decade is...

Trainspotting.

Just wondering...What do you get out of so many viewings?

Just to be clear about the watching Star Wars over a hundred times thing, I'm in my mid-twenties, so that's over the course of about 20 years of watching the videos. If you average that out, that works out to only 5 times a year or so (though I'm sure when I was 12 I watched it more than that over that year). Still a bit excessive, but nonetheless...

What do I get out of it? It's comforting and those stories just put me in a great mood. If I'm having bad day, just pop in Star Wars and I'll feel a lot better.

As for Trainspotting, I'm not sure why I watch it so much (it's certainly not a feel good film), but something about it just resonates.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

• 4 weeks later...

Another one for me would be Fantasia. I saw when I was maybe five, and I've watched it ... well, a lot ever since. I might have seen it even before Star Wars.

My name is Darth Vader. I come from the planet Vulcan.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

I'd like to announce right here that listing films I've watched the most will promptly signal to many that my taste is in my tootsies.

But... in no particular order...

- High Plains Drifter (why? There's something about Clint painting a town red - literally - that just does it for me, despite how politically incorrect the movie is for a feminist type such as myself.)

- The Big Sleep (Probably in the past ten years I've watched this thirty times. I'll watch it thirty more. Why? Bogie and Bacall. Script written by -- among others -- William Faulkner. The hothouse scene at beginning is alone worth the trip, but it by no means ends there. Nuff said.)

- The Maltese Falcon (... just great. Bogie, of course.)

- Princess Bride (need I explain?)

- Almost any pirate movie, esp. those with Maureen O'Hara in them. Why? Because she's lovely and makes her leading man (whether Leslie Howard or Tyrone Power or Errol Flynn) appear all the more swashbuckling. I have an old VCR tape with three or four of these on it that I -- with and without little kids watching as well -- have practically worn out.

- Various chick flicks. But my openness to abuse ends here... I'm not about to name them!

Blessings,

jon

Heh... Thanks (mostly) to my mom I've probably seen Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins, Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang, My Fair Lady, Cinderella and It's a Wonderful Life about 20 times each and they probably top my list.

Other double digit films would include:

One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing

The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin

In Search of the Castaways

White Christmas

Beethoven (Probably the only film on this list that I truly find embarrassing...)

The Big Kahuna

The Hudsucker Proxy

Brazil

The Princess Bride

Superman

Superman II

Aladdin

Say Anything

The Usual Suspects

Most watched horror film: Alien (4 times -- combined with the sequels this would make double digits)

Most watched documentary: Stevie (3 times)

Film seen most times in theater: The Fellowship of the Ring (3 times -- oddly enough, I went 2 times for TTT and 1 time for RotK)

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Thanks to my wife I've seen PRINCESS BRIDE too many times... "wove, twu Wuve..."

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

I don't think I've seen any film even a half-dozen times, so finding out that people have seen double-digits numbers of a films a double-digits number of times is a bit surprising to me. I've seen both Waiting for Guffman and The Spanish Prisoner four or five times, so my guess is they're my winners.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."