Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Arrested Development

How do you respond to "catchy" new show promos?   9 votes

1. 1. How do you respond to "catchy" new show promos?

• I'm weary of the same !@#% ad for each show
    • There's a sort of friendly familiarity to the repitition
    • What's this? My TIVO edits them out
    • Hey, that's what PBS and cable are for, to avoid this stuff
    • Hey! This is the only way I get to see the Fall Classic and not miss 'ER'!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

160 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

With this post I will confess to some sense of vanity. One of the privileges of a subscription to GQ is a DVD I just received in the mail containing the pilot episode of this new show scheduled to start in November. Anyone receive one by other means? Will report when I watch it.

Posted · Report post

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, mostly sports, but I got sucked into watching this as I went from Cowboys game to King of the Hill, to Simpsons to Malcom to Arrested Development (does Fox have a killer Sunday afternoon lineup or what?). Totally wasted my afternoon and evening tongue.gif

Anyway, I enjoyed Arrested Development. I was really interested in all the corporate scandles from a couple summers ago, and this show does a good job of making fun of the corrupt CEOs behind such things, as well as the shallow, materialistic, lifestyle endorsed by richie-richers like the Hilton twins*. I laughted out loud a couple times: the arguement by which the protagonist's kid tries to get his cousin to make out with him ("that's why it'll be funny!"), the gag where the sister's husband thinks the party is pirate themed and ends up on a boat of gay protestors wearing his wife's blouse. That was a particularly funny sequence to me because the punchline was one of the first scenes of the episode, but you don't get it until you see the buildup. Nicely done.

All in all, this looks like just another disfunctional-but-loving-family-using-modernist-storytelling sitcom like Malcom in the Middle. I'm not an avid watcher of Malcom, but when I do tune in I usually get at least a chuckle or two, so I'll say I'm satified with Fox's latest and will probably watch it again next time the Dallas Cowboys play in the later NFL timeslot.

*for once I wish I had HBO so I could watch that new "Born Rich" documentary being put together by the Johnson & Johnson heir.

Posted · Report post

solishu wrote:

: *for once I wish I had HBO so I could watch that new "Born Rich"

: documentary being put together by the Johnson & Johnson heir.

FWIW, I linked to an article on that film here.

Posted · Report post

Saw this show last night. What was it--episode 2? Good cast, kinda funny. Quirky. Definitely better than Will & Grace, and maybe better than most sit-coms. But better than Scrubs? I'm not convinced yet.

Who said "Tragedy is easy. Comedy is hard"?

Posted · Report post

No WAY better than Scrubs! The writing is weak to my mind. Dena can't really sit through it, but then, those of differing senses of humor are destined to marry each other....

Posted · Report post

2nd episode was a bit of a dropoff from the first. I saw the big twist from a mile away. The girl-cousin's dumb embezzlement scheme made me chuckle though. It wasn't until she outlined it a second time that I thought, "Wait a minute.... That wouldn't work at all!"

Posted · Report post

Hi. The season two finale of "Arrested Development" was the greatest episode of anything ever. I just needed to share.

Dale

Posted · Report post

I really liked their fisrt album.

The show, can't say that I have seen more than a minute.

Posted · Report post

I finished watching the First Season DVD the other day. I LOVE THIS SHOW! It's been a long time since I've been able to get excited about a TV show.

Gob and Tobias are two of the funniest characters ever.

I only got watching about half way through Season Two, so I'm glad for the DVDs. I can't wait for the Season Two DVD.

Posted · Report post

I think I've watched the first season 3 times now. Just a fantastic comedy that stretches the limits of network television, and manages to include some great gags.

BTW Anders, Fox will be showing all of the S2 episodes this summer.

Posted · Report post

Good news for Arrested Development fans.

Source - It looks like the show will be renewed - and maybe for two full seasons.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's official: Renewed!

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

OK, Prins (and other advocates of this show), you win: I just picked up disc 2 of Season 1 at the library, so it looks like I

Edited by Christian

The pilot was pretty good, but it was certainly a below-average "AD" episode, and not quite representative of the series at large. If you make it through episodes 7-14 and still don't particularly like the show, give up; it's then obviously not your thing, because this is the show at pretty close to its best. But being of good taste, you will like them, especially "Pier Pressure" (no. 10) and "Beef Consome

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Posted · Report post

This program is misanthropic, nasty, and overly sarcastic.

I think I like it.

Posted · Report post

If you make it through episodes 7-14 and still don't particularly like the show, give up; it's then obviously not your thing, because this is the show at pretty close to its best. 

Suppose I agreed with this, having watched the first 6 episodes after watching episodes 7-14, but then suppose, right when you're about to proclaim the show's greatness, you find the third disc of Season 1 episodes kind of ... deflating? I have the final two episodes to watch tonight, but the other five or six on disc 3 seem to have lost something.

Just my imagination?

Oh, and am I to understand that Season 2 just wrapped, and is not available (yet) on DVD? So even if I decide the show is worth watching in the fall, I'll still have missed an entire season of episodes?

Posted · Report post

Fox is rerunning either all or almost all of season 2 this summer. And I will refrain from taking an opinion on the issue of whether you should watch it or not until you've seen the last two episodes of season 1, both of which are better than anything else on disc 3. (I still very much like the rest of disc 3, however, which worries me for your "Development" future.)

Dale

Posted · Report post

Fox is rerunning either all or almost all of season 2 this summer.  And I will refrain from taking an opinion on the issue of whether you should watch it or not until you've seen the last two episodes of season 1, both of which are better than anything else on disc 3.  (I still very much like the rest of disc 3, however, which worries me for your "Development" future.)

Dale

I'm not sure why the rest of disc 3 lacked ... something, but you're right, those final two episodes were smashing. Having been on and off the Atkins Diet for a few years now, I loved the ongoing Atkins-related humor of the final episode.

Dude, why do you have to go and tempt me with talk of reruns?

Posted · Report post

"What about macaroni -- let me finish -- salad?"

Let me say this: With the exception of the Martin Short episode (which I very nearly turned off) and the season 2 finale (which is the greatest episode of anything ever), the second season is approximately equal to season 1 in quality, both lows-wise and highs-wise. If watching more episodes in the same quality that you've been seeing sounds good to you, then, um, are you allowed to record shows off of broadcast TV onto a VCR tape and then watch them later? Otherwise, you're waiting until October or November for the DVDs.

Dale

Posted · Report post

I enjoy being able to reflexively refer to the lack of artful or redeeming shows on network television as much as the next guy, but I've got to give credit where it's due. We just finished the second disc of this show on DVD, and I'm stunned that something this quirky and clever is still running.

I've got to catch up to those second season reruns.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, after this and Cinderella Man (put me down in the "pro" camp), I've gotta hand it to Ron Howard. He's doing something right. At the very least, I don't think he should any longer be the butt of jokes about epitomizing mediocrity. Not until he returns to it.

Posted · Report post

I agree, at least with respect to this show. Somehow I didn't even recognize Howard as the narrator until I read it somewhere.

It destroyed my whole worldview.

Posted · Report post

Dale, the board is moving at the speed of molasses as I attempt to post this, but if you read it

Okay. Giving as few spoilers as possible for season 2 (although some of them I'll have to), here's the current status for all the characters leading into season 3:

Gob: May be Steve Holt!'s father.

George Michael: Dating Ann (girl at the banana stand in the last episode of season one); kissed Maeby.

Maeby: Unknown to anyone, left school to become a studio executive; made remake of Les cousins dangereux (the movie she and G.M. tried to sneak into in season 1); kissed George Michael.

Tobias: Left Lindsay to run off with Kitty to Vegas, where he is trying to join the Blue Man Group.

Lindsay: Other than the above, little change.

Buster: Got left hand bitten off by a seal; found out who his true father is.

Michael: Still running the company.

George, Sr.: Turned himself in to the police after a year on the lam, but switched places with Oscar after knocking out Oscar and shaving his head.

Oscar: In prison in George, Sr.'s place; trying to convince prison officers that he's Oscar and not George, Sr.; inadvertently outed himself as Buster's actual father.

Lucille: Sleeping with Oscar, except, y'know, obviously not right now.

Marc Cherry: Claims "Desperate Housewives" is a satire.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Posted · Report post

Excellent, fine sir!

But, who's Kitty?