Sign in to follow this  
Rich Kennedy

Arrested Development

How do you respond to "catchy" new show promos?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A ten-episode run and then a movie? Wow. That's not what I expected. Part of me wants to play the cynic, but I'm such an unabashed fan of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT--for my money, it's the best TV comedy ever made--that I can't help but be excited at the thought of seeing everybody back together again.

Agreed.

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

I am much more cynical about the ability to go home again...

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Why? Are you chicken?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

This is a Bluth family celebration. It's no place for children.

Am I reading right past the detail about where the next season of the show will air?

Great question, Christian! I think you're right to be skeptical. Lisa de Moraes sure is!

Over the weekend, [Mitch Hurwitz] put another diamond bracelet in front of them: the notion that more episodes of the series would serve as a walk-up to the movie.

In his defense, what Hurwitz said Sunday at a New Yorker Festival Q&A session with “Arrested” cast and crew was:

a. He is working on the movie screenplay;

b. He had decided that the movie would be best served if he created another 10 or so episodes that could move the characters’ story lines to where he wants them for the film;

c. He does not own the franchise, and it is not up to him whether either gets made;

d. He was “80 percent of the way to an answer” on the movie, not to a “thumbs up” on the movie, but to an “answer” — which could be good news or bad.

Hurwitz did not say that:

a. Any studio had agreed to make the movie;

b. Any studio had agreed to make the episodes;

c. Any network had agreed to distribute the episodes.

Yet by Monday morning, it was being widely reported in the press that:

●“ ‘Arrested Development’ new episode, movie confirmed.”

●“ ‘Arrested Development’ will return, with new episodes and a movie.”

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I agree with that, Christian. I've been trying to play damage control with all of my friends dancing in the streets. Hurwitz's latest announcement is pretty similar to the same ones he's been making since..what...2006?

That said, I've read that Showtime, Hulu, and Netflix are all bidding on the episodes. I won't believe it 'til someone actually DOES put pen to paper.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

Hour wits has to be able to appreciate that...it is in the spirit of the show and it's supporters.

Excellent. I just finished watching the full series and I can't wait.

Well, it won't be out until next year, so you'll have to wait a little while. But waiting one year is easier than the 6-7 years I've been waiting since it went off the air.

Also, this:

Hurwitz and the cast pointedly sidestepped any talk of the movie that was supposed to follow the new season, even though the movie is what started this whole conversation in the first place. In fact, it doesn’t even sound like it’s part of the plan anymore, as Hurwitz also started dropping hints about a fifth or even sixth season of the show, saying, “We would love this to be the first of many visits.”

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

My wife and I are almost finished with the third season. It's my fourth time through, and her second. I've always loved this show, but it definitely rewards repeat views. There are lots of little things I didn't catch the first three times (Rita's uncle smoking while he brushes his teeth, Gob's pronunciation problems, and so on).

I think I like the idea of multiple seasons over a short season leading up to a movie, too.

Arrested Development via Legos.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth