Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Time for fantasy football

I can count on my bench providing a big game.

Tight ends that do much are a rarity. When you get a good week from one, rejoice.

I don't like bye weeks.

Also I have noticed that whenever I drop a player, he will make at least one touchdown the next week. It has happened four times. Are you enjoying Keyshawn? I am steadily learning patience. Sort of.

I don't like bye weeks.

Also I have noticed that whenever I drop a player, he will make at least one touchdown the next week. It has happened four times. Are you enjoying Keyshawn? I am steadily learning patience. Sort of.

:)

What I really like are the defensive players. I wasn't very excited about using them before the season began, but mine have been much more consistent high scorers than any of my offensive players. Before this weekend, my two quarterbacks had combined for about -4 points.

I agree with what you said about the defensive players. Before when I said players get touchdowns after I drop them that includes defensive backs. I mentioned Chris McAlister before (dumbest drop I've made) has had two interceptions brought back for touchdowns now. I dropped Adrian Wilson last week, and he returned an interception for a touchdown. He is still available, by the way. He's a good player.

The progression of my drops they get a touchdown or two the following week: Chris McAlister, Keyshawn Johnson, Antwaan Randle El, Adrian Wilson, and Dante Hall (I just got Dante back.) Which is five not four as mentioned earlier.

I am writing this post to tell my side of the story of my trade with The Blitzkreig Bop. About two weeks ago, I noticed he was playing players who were on bye week. Since this is my first time at fantasy football, I thought maybe he didn't know what was going on. I emailed our commissioner about it, thinking he would contact Mr. Bop and see what was up. A couple of weeks go by, and I realized I needed a premier runningback. So I made a bunch of trade offers to about 4 different people. They weren't accepted, nor were countertrades offered. One day I came up with the idea of contacting Mr. Bop to see what was going on with him and to ask for a trade. I informed him of my situation, and he said since I was the first to contact him, he would accept any trade. I decided I wanted Larry Johnson, and I offered two top scoring defense players in return. The combined amount of points the two defense players have accrued is 67.60. Larry Johnson has 49.00 points. I thought it was a fair trade. He accepted the trade.

As to whether Mr. Bop wants to continue to play or not, that is his decision. I told him if he retooled his defense, he could probably catch up to us with the awesome offense he has.

In my opinion, I didn't do anything wrong, but I can see that, by appearances, it could look unfair. Mr. Bop can dissolve his team and send his players to waivers. He might keep his team intact with the option of making more trades with different managers. If the league wants to reject the trade, it's fine with me.

I would rather do poorly with my integrity intact and without the guise of impropriety, than win with people thinking I did something wrong.

I don't think anyone has any ill will toward you regarding -- I certainly don't -- but I think you understand why some of the owners are a little reluctant regarding the trade. I've had trades rejected before, and I (hope) it was never a reflection on me as a person.

Thelma

Darren H   

Hey everybody.

I apologize for paying so little attention to the game. Just as the season began, I left for a two-week trip to Toronto, and then, soon after returning, my wife had a bit of a health crisis. I've watched about five minutes of the NFL all season and have spent even less time over at Yahoo.

I can go either way with this. I actually thought it was sweet of Sara to contact me to make sure that I understood what was going on. After exchanging a few more notes with her and getting up to speed on how the season is going so far (I'm not in last place by nearly as many points as I'd expected), I decided the trade would actually be good for both of us -- especially seeing as how the Blitzkrieg Bop, um, don't have a defense.

If y'all approve the trade, I'll likely begin to pay a bit more attention to my team; if not, I really wouldn't mind disbanding the team. Either way is fine with me.

Darren "Mr. Bop" Hughes

"Hey! Ho! Let's Go! Blitzkrieg Bop!"

In my opinion, I didn't do anything wrong, but I can see that, by appearances, it could look unfair.
I don't think you did anything wrong at all. My message was more about what would be the most fair way to go if Darren had decided to stop playing.

If y'all approve the trade, I'll likely begin to pay a bit more attention to my team; if not, I really wouldn't mind disbanding the team. Either way is fine with me.
I would prefer that you continue to play, but I certainly understand that it should not be as high priority as the other things that have been going on in your life. If you want to keep playing, I would change my vote on the trade. Although, don't forget to look at the available free agents. Just about the only free agents who are scoring many points are defensive players.

Chip

'Burgh AC

I can officially say I'm not particularly fond of Rex Grossman right now.

Hmmm... I like being in first place.

:D

Hmmm... I like being in first place.

:D

LT had a pretty good day on Sunday, huh?

Darren H   

Thanks for approving the trade, everyone. I actually watched about ten minutes of the game last night and enjoyed watching Grossman get knocked around a bit -- not because I had a fantasy stake in the game but because Grossman is a Florida Gator, and all Gators deserve to get knocked around a bit. :)

Much to my surprise, I finished in first place. Darryl, you were very good competition as were all of you. Thank you, Mr. Bop for your trade and to the rest for letting the trade go through.

Before week 9, I had to pick a new DB, and after some research, I decided to pick up Darrent Williams, a cornerback for the Denver Broncos opposite Champ Bailey. I appreciated this player because Bailey was such a shutdown cornerback, Williams generally saw more action,and I also thought it was pretty cool that he grew up in Fort Worth. Unfortunately, Williams was shot and killed at 2:00 am this morning.

I learned a lot about football this season, and it was fun. Now that the regular season is over, Will is going to appreciate having his wife back. Professional football is the only sport I keep up with, and I know more about it than most women should.

One question remains: who is Ironheads?

Crow   

Ironheads was me. Named after the late great Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, my favorite nickname for a football player.

Congratulations to TexasSara for winning this thing. It was fun playing with all of you. I'm looking forward to doing this again next year.

Am I being too much of a woman for not bragging? It generally isn't in my character, but if it would be more fun, I can.

I kind of want to keep thread going by talking about things we learned or stupid mistakes we made. Perhaps none of you feel you made any mistakes, and I can continue being TexasSara: Thread killer, I carry a badge.

By the way, I read somewhere regarding the few women who play fantasy football, we are generally really hardcore. Guys don't expect much from us, which usually makes us want to work harder. Hopefully, no one feels emasculated by a woman winning (and not winning by much).

About time to think about football (even it baseball's all-star break isn't here yet). Shall we go with points again or hope for an even number and go with head to head scoring? Should we go with individual def. players, or def. teams?

Last year's positions and scoring:

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories: Completions (.1)

Incomplete Passes (-.1)

Passing Yards (50 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (5)

Interceptions (-2)

Sacks (-.5)

Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (.2)

Reception Yards (20 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (7)

Return Yards (20 yards per point)

Return Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles Lost (-2)

Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)

Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)

Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)

Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)

Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)

Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-1)

Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-1)

Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (0)

Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (0)

Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)

Point After Attempt Made (1)

Point After Attempt Missed (-1)

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.3)

Sack (2)

Interception (2)

Fumble Force (1)

Fumble Recovery (1)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

Pass Defended (.5)

Block Kick (2)

comments?

I'm in.

My personal preference is head to head, but I'm happy with points too.

Crow   

I'll go for another whirl. I've always done points, but I'm willing to try head-to-head if everyone else wants to.

I would prefer doing defensive teams verses having defensive individual players. That wouldn't be so high up the ladder of geekitude, and it's easier to keep track of. I can just remember, don't take the Rams D against the run, and I think I can do OK.

The 07 league is created. I've switched it the head-to-head (if we have an odd number, we may have to coerce someone in to filling our ranks). We can also shift to straight points if necessary. I've also gone with def. team rather than individual players. Look over the scoring (especially the def. scoring) and give your input.

To join, go to http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1. league # 103343. password: punt

3 of us in so far. The more the merrier. This is a low pressure league -- fantasy newbies welcome.

Believe it or not as defending champion, I'm out. As much as I loved it last year, I got too obsessive about it, and I think it would be best for my marriage and my life in general if I didn't participate.

For what it's worth (since I'm not competing), I would recommend head to head instead of the points system like last year. It's more exciting, especially if there is a playoff system toward the end. As much as I liked the individual defensive players last year, it was really time consuming. I think you made a good choice there.

I love professional football, and I'll probably still stay up to date about the different players. If anyone wants advice, I'll be more than happy to help. Here's some examples: beware of Rex Grossman. He'll do great, and then he folds like a picnic table. The Raiders defense might be a good sleeper defense. Their offense may stink, but their defense is pretty solid. Also, the 49ers and the Jets are up and coming teams. Don't rule them out. The Packers and The Titans make me nervous. Vince Young is the only Titan I would feel comfortable having on my team. One more thing is be wary of teams with new head coaches (San Diego, Miami, Dallas, etc.). Sometimes it takes awhile for teams to adjust to new systems.

There is a podcast on iTunes called Footballguys.com-The Audible, and those guys really know their stuff. (The stuttering Jeff Pasquino is a football genius. Listen to everything he has to say, despite how awkward it may sound.) They research everyone, especially collegiate players way before they enter the NFL. Last year, they recommended Marques Colston in the spring way before the season started. (I didn't know about this podcast at that time because I would have drafted him instead of letting Darryl get him.) They recommended a lot of stuff for me last year which helped me a lot. I will officially say they were a huge part of how I won last year. There, my secret weapon is out in the open.

We'll miss you Sara.

Let's go. Still only 3 here. sign up now and you'll be ready when the time comes to draft

We need some more participants! It's easy and fun!

If you've never played before or think you don't have time, the default rankings are already created for you and you can let the computer pick for you. It really helps increase your enjoyment of the game.

I'll even give you a free first pick (Mike Alstott!)

;)

Well, if we don't get more than 4 teams, I don't see how we can pull this one off this year.

Perhaps we could get more participation if we changed it to simply a pick'em?