Time for fantasy football

Darrel Manson

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've set up a Yahoo league for us (and friends). Room for 20 teams. (The more teams, the better) So we won't have to worry about having an odd number (and the byes that entails), I've set us up as a straight points league.

Another change this year, is defensive players instead of def. teams.

League number: 143963

password: punt

Target for draft will be around the end of August.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 2 weeks later...

We're up to 7 teams in the league -- room for up to 20.

<----Defending champion. (I'm good as so very many things, it's a wonder more people don't resent me.)

Good as?? typing obviously not one of the things your good at. And where are you in the baseball standings? I have to admit I'm starting to worry there, my lead is down to 10.

Besides, has anybody ever told you they don't resent you?

-from the film
Armin

[Farley]Remember three or four years ago when I used to write posts with actual content in them? That was awesome.[/Farley]

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Thinking about joining. I've never done a fantasy football league. I've always thought it was a little weird how FF makes one's allegiances all out-of-whack; generally my NFL worldview defines regular season "good" as (a) Steelers win, (b ) AFC North teams lose and ( c) other AFC top seeds lose. FF screws that all up by making me root for great players on some of those teams to play great, which increases the chances their team wins. Of course, being in a "picks" league is like that, too, and it's not like I'd have to spend all that much more time following it that I do already...

Edited by Russ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Those who are thinking about it should get signed up and start working on your draft list. I would like to do the draft about the last week in Aug.

Bring your friends -- big leagues are much more entertaining because there isn't much in the FA listings to fill in when somebody isn't performing. Much more trading that way.

-from the film
Armin

Thinking about joining. I've never done a fantasy football league. I've always thought it was a little weird how FF makes one's allegiances all out-of-whack; generally my NFL worldview defines regular season "good" as (a) Steelers win, (b ) AFC North teams lose and ( c) other AFC top seeds lose. FF screws that all up by making me root for great players on some of those teams to play great, which increases the chances their team wins. Of course, being in a "picks" league is like that, too, and it's not like I'd have to spend all that much more time following it that I do already...

One of the benefits is that I likely have some interest, and therefore a reason to watch, every game. Okay, my wife would definately not see that as a benefit. And I'd rather the Chiefs win, even if it might hurt my FF team.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I'm in. My team name is Quest.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytellingĀ is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Great! I emailed the league earlier today saying that I plan to switch the draft status to ready about a week from Monday. That means those who haven't need to get their draft queues done (or go with the default list) Also for those on the fence, now you have a deadline to decide.

-from the film
Armin

The draft in this league is automated. From your team page, you can go to your pre-rankings (which are currently set on a Yahoo default.) You can move players around in the rankings as you like. If you really, really like Jon Kitna, you can put him as your top choice (and you'd be welcome to him.) When the computer runs the draft, it will assign a draft order (it snakes so that it will go 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 in the first round, and 9 8 7 ... in the second. Then when each team comes up in the draft, the machine will pick the top ranked player from your draft rankings (exception: toward the end of the draft if you haven't filled needed slots, it will skip to your top choice at a particular position.)

Note: a few players who have retired (like Bettis) are still listed in the rankings. It's wise to find them and move them to a do not draft list, or else you'll have to go in later to waive them and pick up the dregs left after the draft.

-from the film
Armin

WOW! Up to ten teams now. Still time to get in if you want. Ten teams is enough to make free agent hunting tricky, especially since I've give us a good number of bench positions.

Aside: I'm in a baseball league with 20 teams, about 15 active batters, 10-12 active pitchers, plus bench players. Talk about dumpster diving when somebody goes on DL.

-from the film
Armin

The Dumbtown Nosepickers also got T.J. Houshmandzadeh who I was gunning for if nothing else than I like his name. Let me know if you want to trade.

All three of the running backs from Denver were drafted by us. It will be interesting to see what their running game will be. From what I read, the rookie RB Mike Bell is supposed to start. I don't know though.

In past years Denver RBs have been good as a group, but they have often played by committee. After somebody gets hurt and someone steps up, one of the RBs does a pretty good job. If you have room for all three you can wait to see who it's going to be.

The problem with having 3 RBs from one team is when the bye week hits, it will hit hard.

Also, teams might want to look at replacing players that got picked but aren't available to play (marked in your roster with NA). You can claim someone off the waiver wire now (and go to the end of the waiver priority list) or wait a couple days and pick them up as free agents (and not affect your waiver priority.) For example, I have someone I want to pick up for Martin, but he's not worth losing my #1 waiver wire priority to get him. I expect someone will dump someone who I really want at some point, then I'll claim off waivers.

Edited by Darrel Manson

-from the film
Armin

Hey Everyone:

I waited and waited, but since nobody else did, I formed a "Pick-em" league.

You have created the Private Group called The Supremely Confident . To allow other people to join this group send them the Group ID# (50801) and the Password (ken). Remember, it is the Group ID#, not the group name, that other people must use to join your group.

You are now ready to participate in Pro Football Pick'em. Your goal is to earn more points than other people by selecting the winner of each of this year's regular season games.

Thanks for joining. Good luck.

-- Pro Football Pick'em Commissioner

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem

To spice things up, I'll offer up a free DVD to the winner from the following group:

Singing in the Rain

Traffic

The Man Who Wasn't There

Brother Bear

Casa de los Babys

I also made a "survival" pick-em league (see other thread) with prize.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Week 2 was not as good as Week 1 for me. I never realized how frustrating this can get when your benched players do better than your starters. I have Chicago's quarterback who scored 4 touchdowns and no interceptions. Didn't this kind of thing happen to someone last week when a kicker scored 6 field goals?

My tight end is killing me.

Edited by TexasSara