Sign in to follow this  
Christian

What To Do on the 4th of July

So I'm taking a break between Best of Youth discs, checking in here, and what do I find on this national holiday, when I assume everyone is out and about, at a picnic, a family event, or the movie theater?

I find the following people are currently online, reading this site:

Christian, kenmorefield, Smith, Sundered, Baal_T'shuvah, stu, cincyjake, Chashab, Buckeye Jones, coltrane, SDG, Darren H, Backrow Baptist, Jazzaloha, Jim Tudor, The Baptist Death Ray, Andy Whitman, Rich Kennedy, Jeffrey Overstreet, SZPT, opus, popechild, sanshiro_sugata, Darrel Manson, solishu, MLeary

--C'mon, people! Get some sun! :) (Says the guy who's about to dive into another 3-hour DVD, in hopes of finishing it before he has to return it tomorrow. But hey, I went a parade earlier today, and there's a picnic this afternoon, and...)

--C'mon, people! Get some sun! :) (Says the guy who's about to dive into another 3-hour DVD, in hopes of finishing it before he has to return it tomorrow. But hey, I went a parade earlier today, and there's a picnic this afternoon, and...)

HA! Summer is Purgatory for me. I can get heat stroak just working the backroom of the store in all its humidity and you want me to take in some SUN???

Dittoes on the Germany-Italy game, watching I mean. Then after the game some cedar planked Mahi-mahi on the grill and depending on the taste of my guest, Michigan Chardonnay, Michigan dry Riesling, older California Chardonnay, or Cristalino Rose' Brut.

I recently moved to New York City, and all the tenuous friendships I've formed aren't stable enough for a 4th of July outing. My friend who was visiting this weekend just took her plane back to Michigan.

I shall spend the rest of the day e-mailing college admission boards, doing laundry, and seeing Superman Returns. If I can see fireworks from my balcony, sobeit, but I'm certainly not going to seek them out.

PITY ME.

B)

(Sundered -- how was the church? Feel free to visit Philly sometime--and let me know!)

Church? Did I mention a church?

Man, this weather is beginning to addle my brains.

Was I still logged on around 1:30pm? Huh. We must have left right after.

The boys, my wife, and I went to her parents house for a relaxing, low-key 4th. Our oldest sleeps over with them every Friday night, but we hardly ever get a chance to hang out with them ourselves (and I've been blessed with the coolest in-laws). So we had grilled chicken for lunch and played dominoes until 5.

Got a good bit of rain too. Especially on the way home. Couldn't get our garage door to respond to the remote. Found out it was because our power went out. In fact, the first time I tried to type this exact post we lost power again. I just love our lousy grid.

It is surreal to hear the *pop pop* of fireworks outside when inside the house is devoid of appliance hum and only lit by candles and whatever sunlight made it through the cloud cover.

Unbelievable South FL day... Blue skies, high around 93. We spent almost the whole day in the pool and had dinner on the grill. We picked up some fireworks earlier in the week and were ready to cap off a wonderfully relaxing day, when the three-year old got freaked over one of the louder roman candle-type explosives and started screaming to go inside. His 20-month old sister followed suit and I was stuck with both of them inside for the remainder of the fireworks display. *sigh* So here I am typing with a three year old on my lap... Thank God the neighborhood is starting to quiet down a bit.

I was online, on the board about that same time. Then again, I was at my associate pastor's home, and was not logged in. Please count me in with all the other pitiable wretches.