Sign in to follow this  

The Incredible Hulk

Wow. A remake of a three year old movie...I wonder if this will sell? Wasn't Ang Lee's film considered a box office flop overall?

Personally I would rather see a direct Hulk sequel that reimagines and fine tunes some of the first film's style than a flat-out remake. Haven't we seen enough of the Hulk origin story already?

And really, what was so terribly bad about Ang Lee's film that it needs to be ignored? The finale really sucked, yes. But Eric Bana was a good lead.

And really, what was so terribly bad about Ang Lee's film that it needs to be ignored?

Nick Nolte. :)

But I guess what bothered me is that the film felt like it lacked focus. When you are watching the closing seen in the rain forrest...I was more interested in seeing that story than the one I had just watched. Like Superman Returns, it had it's moments. And yeah, I liked Bana. But I felt like the Hulk lacked a visible opponent. Was it Nolte? The military? The jerky guy? All of the above?

I agree that it's similar to Superman Returns in its failures, but still... bad enough to merit re-starting the franchise already?

I am sure he was just testing your powers of responsiveness.

-s.

PS FWIW, it only took you 5 minutes. Wow, you are very responsive indeed.

Edited by stef

I found the Eric Bana Hulk movie to be profoundly disturbing. My son had just been born, and I found its graphic depictions of abuse to be almost more difficult than I could handle. I almost walked out of the theater.

But I felt like the Hulk lacked a visible opponent. Was it Nolte? The military? The jerky guy? All of the above?

Surely it was himself?

Matt

I would not disagree that it was one of the issues...certainly a man against self conflict. But I felt it was not done particularly well.

I agree that it's similar to Superman Returns in its failures, but still... bad enough to merit re-starting the franchise already?

Well, it's been a whole three years. Time to reboot the series if you ask me. ;)

And really, what was so terribly bad about Ang Lee's film that it needs to be ignored?

Nick Nolte. :)

But I guess what bothered me is that the film felt like it lacked focus. When you are watching the closing seen in the rain forrest...I was more interested in seeing that story than the one I had just watched. Like Superman Returns, it had it's moments. And yeah, I liked Bana. But I felt like the Hulk lacked a visible opponent. Was it Nolte? The military? The jerky guy? All of the above?

Himself

Green light for Tyler as 'Hulk' flame

Liv Tyler will star opposite Ed Norton in Marvel Studios' "The Incredible Hulk," signing on to play Betty Ross, the longtime love interest of Dr. Bruce Banner/the Hulk. . . . Jennifer Connelly played the character in the 2003 movie "Hulk," directed by Ang Lee.

Hollywood Reporter, May 4

Roth cast as 'Hulk' villain

"The Incredible Hulk" will be matched against the oversized adversary Abomination, and Tim Roth will play the villain's alter ego, Emil Blonsky. . . . Blonsky is a KGB agent who deliberately exposes himself to the gamma rays that caused Bruce Banner to morph into the Hulk. Blonsky has upped the dosage, making him larger and stronger than the Hulk, but unable to change back to human form. He blames Banner for his problem, and makes his best efforts to destroy the Hulk.

Variety, May 9

- - -

Unable to change back to human form? And Roth is playing the villain's "alter ego"? So is Roth basically just getting a cameo? Or is he going to be human for most of the movie and then change into a villain at the end, a la Nick Nolte in the last Hulk movie?

Hurt hurtling to 'Hulk' cast

William Hurt has joined the all-star cast of Marvel Studios' "The Incredible Hulk." The movie, which Louis Leterrier is directing, sees Bruce Banner/Hulk on the run, trying to avoid capture long enough to cure the condition that turns him into a monster. Hurt will play Gen. Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross, the man who has dedicated his life to capturing the Hulk -- and who also is the father of Banner's love interest, Betty Ross.

Hollywood Reporter, June 13

- - -

This would be the role played by Sam Elliott in the Ang Lee film.

"The Hulk Movie Will Be Different From the First One Because This One Will Be Good"

So says Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Films, making no friends among the people who appreciated Ang Lee's misguided but well-intentioned effort at bringing the green goliath to the big screen. Compared to subsequent efforts like Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider, the first Hulk film looks like Citizen Kane . . .

ScreenGrab, June 26

"Hulk" bulking up with Nelson

Actor/filmmaker Tim Blake Nelson has joined the cast of "The Incredible Hulk." . . . Nelson will play a scientist named Samuel Sterns. In Hulk lore, Sterns, a.k.a. "The Leader," is one of the Hulk's major antagonists, a menial worker in a chemical research plant who is bombarded with gamma radiation. He emerges from his accident not only green-skinned but also superintelligent, with an oversized brain.

Hollywood Reporter, July 26

SDCC 07: The Incredible Hulk Roars

The panel repeatedly stressed the different direction for this film from the previous one, citing the television show and comics as dual inspirations for the movie, dubbed The Incredible Hulk. At the panel, the first image of the new Hulk was revealed. He is a deep grey/green with a scarred hide and tortured face. . . .

But Norton was quick to point out that the film would not be wholly based on the TV show. Rather, it will be an amalgamation of many sources. Since signing on to do the film, he has "had a lot of deep exploration... of a lot of incarnations of the Hulk." Both he and Leterrier pointed to the Return of the Monster story arc as inspiration. . . .

IGN.com, July 28

William Hurt Says New Hulk Is More Heroic, Reveals Iron Man Crossover Scene

William Hurt is a consummate actor and a closet (until now) comic book geek. Both of which explain his excitement in revealing a bit about one surprise scene he shot for this summer's "The Incredible Hulk."

"I have a scene with Iron Man, with Robert Downey Jr.," the Oscar-winning actor told MTV News Friday at the Sundance Film Festival. "It's a funky scene."

For those who haven't heard the news, superhero house Marvel Comics is aggressively cross-pollinating its superheroes, most likely in preparation for an eventual "Avengers" movie. That means Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury will make a cameo appearance in May 2's "Iron Man," and ol' metalhead himself will drop into "Hulk." Little has been said about the scene -- until now.

"I don't know how it'll work," Hurt admitted, saying it was a thrill to appear as General Thaddeus Ross during Downey's scene. "I know it's weird [to work with a character from another movie], and to know it's a device. We did something; I don't know what that's going to be like [to watch]."

MTV Movie News, January 19

Tim Roth as Abomination ... the toy!

abominationtoypic.jpg

The image wasn't working for me for some reason, so I had to cut and paste in my browser. Someone should call Lynne Truss about that toy ad.

Fans of the Hulk might want to check out this fun series of three amazing computer-animated shorts starring Spider-Man, Iron Man, and a big green guest star. Click on "Iron Man's Adventure" and its sequels.