• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,218 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

Ooops, thought I hit "preview" rather than "submit"

Well here's a fun feature...what we were talking about on this date in history. (Now if I could only get those back links to work...will try to clean it up...)

Three years ago today:

Peter T. Chattaway speculates about woman with no eyebrows in The Passion of the Christ trailer.

Two years ago today:

Jim Tudor discusses the book How Movies Saved My Soul (he didn't like it).

One year ago today:

Christian links to the Washington Post because he wants to know what happens when Columnists Cry Jihad.

Edited by kenmorefield, 14 July 2006 - 07:12 AM.

#2 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,675 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:11 PM

Next year on this date you can note that I opined that college profs have way too much time on their hands in the summer.

#3 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:00 AM

D'y'know, I've always wondered about doing an end of year review thing, but never got around to it, but I love what you've done here. Do it again, do it again!

Matt

#4 kenmorefield

kenmorefield

Supergenius

• 1,218 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(MattPage @ Jul 14 2006, 05:00 AM) View Post

Do it again, do it again!Jeffe

Three Years Ago Today:

Anders wants to know who has seen Laurel Canyon. (Turns out the answer is MLeary and nobody else.)

Two Years Ago Today:
Clint M shares how someone on another board responded to the death of Jeffersons' Star Isabel Sanford.

One Year Ago Today:

Josh Hurst announces the Reveal Listening Lounge--and it turns out he lives near another A&Fer.

Edited by kenmorefield, 14 July 2006 - 07:54 AM.

#5 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

This is truly fun!!

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,266 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:14 PM

Ken,

I appreciate that thought, and it wouldn't be too hard to find an abundance of those posts, but please don't. As it's part of my job to monitor what's posted at the Movieguide site, it helps once in a while to be able to just go "GAAAK!! I can't take it anymore!" But I do that far too often, and resurrecting those posts would just make it worse.

I've thought about going back and deleting a good deal of them, but some of them have led to good exchanges, so if I do I'll have to be selective.

Otherwise, this is a very cool idea for a thread.

#7 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:44 AM

:: Do it again, do it again

: (Ken does it again)

Thanks

Matt

#8 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(kenmorefield @ Jul 17 2006, 05:40 AM) View Post

One year ago today:

This is the way the Silence book discussion ends...

Does any thread ever really end with a bang?

#9 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(SZPT @ Jul 17 2006, 10:05 AM) View Post

QUOTE(kenmorefield @ Jul 17 2006, 05:40 AM) View Post

One year ago today:

This is the way the Silence book discussion ends...

Does any thread ever really end with a bang?

Yes.

blowup.gif

#10 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,266 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

This thread must be raised from the dead.

On this day in history:

2004:
SDG announced his TV film commentary debut, in anticipation of discussing The Passion of the Christ,

and

Christian announced that he had finally seen Au Hasard Balthazar, confessing, "the movie didn't knock me on my butt, like I thought/hoped it might."

and

MLeary defended In This World, saying that Winterbottom "does not let this politicization of the subject matter overwhelm the direction of the film."

2005:
Dan Buck and gigi had a debate about a conversation reported to have taken place between Dustin Hoffman and Lawrence Olivier.

and

Baal_T'shuvah observed Ewan Macgregor slamming Attack of the Clones.

2006:
Chattaway ahemed The Hipster regarding Che: The Argentine.

And

I discovered this news story about a group called... wait for it... "VILE":

Sick and tired of Hollywood's assault on traditional values? A group in Rochester, New York decided to do something about it. Viewers Insulted by Loser Entertainment, known by the acronym VILE, staged a protest at a local theater against the pro-homosexual propaganda film, "Brokeback Mountain," which is up for an Academy Award on March 5 and has already received 4 Golden Globes.

That's all the time I have to spend in my hot tub time machine today, but I just thought this thread needed another chance.

Edited by Overstreet, 23 February 2010 - 07:43 PM.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,785 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

One year ago today:

Carl F. H. Henry was not amused.

#12 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

Christian announced that he had finally seen Au Hasard Balthazar, confessing, "the movie didn't knock me on my butt, like I thought/hoped it might."

Oh, the humiliation! Will you post on the anniversary of when I watched it again, and saw it for the masterpiece it is? I gave it a "5" in our recent voting, you know.

I can't hide my flaws. They're on this board, in black and white, for all to see.

#13 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

FWIW, having no illusions about a film by Bresson (and a pack animal protagonist, no less!?), I believe that I came to a similar conclusion to Christian at about the same time. Without the dashed hopes, but that doesn't mean that the film didn't have a chance.

#14 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

Oh, the humiliation! Will you post on the anniversary of when I watched it again, and saw it for the masterpiece it is? I gave it a "5" in our recent voting, you know.

I can't hide my flaws. They're on this board, in black and white, for all to see.

No humiliation at all. I think you're probably joking about "flaws," right? Because "flaws" is certainly not an appropriate term here. Most of the films that have become most important to me did not "knock me on my butt" the first time. I've become very suspicious of movies that *do* knock me on my butt the first time around. I think it's a very rare work of art that can astonish us the first time and then prove it has the depth to go on surprising us. It seems far more often that a great film intrigues the first time, and then reveals its a wealth over time.

Three Colors: Blue didn't knock me on my butt the first time I saw it. It wasn't until the third viewing that I knew it was an all-time favorite. I've seen it close to twenty times now, and it goes on revealing and astonishing me more every time.

Edited by Overstreet, 24 February 2010 - 12:49 AM.

#15 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

Christian, go back seven years and read my old A&F "flaws". You will feel like you are Superman.

And yet, I continue, one foot in front of the other...

#16 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

...or a month or so and read mine.

Matt

#17 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

Shall we have a contest to find our own most embarrassing moment on the board?

#18 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,626 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

Shall we have a contest to find our own most embarrassing moment on the board?

Sure! And it might be fun to also list a response or two to that moment (or what may have been perceived as a response to that moment).

For example, here's a post of mine (not long after joining the board) from the Herbie Rides Again thread (this should already tell you something)...

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:07 AM
You know, I must admit that I've enjoyed the two remakes of Disney "product" that Lohan has been involved. The writing and direction is definitely several steps above the early attempts at updating their "classics" (anyone remember the Christina Ricci "That Darn Cat" debacle?). I've watched these with my niece, and part of my enjoyment I think comes from the fact that my niece has such a good time with these movies... and she's picky for an 8 yr old. She'd much rather watch a Hayao Miyuzaki film over the Rugrats any day of the week (to her Uncle's great relief). So, here's a good luck wish to the new Herbie!!

Followed immediately by this response from Stef (Persona)...

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:59 AM
ugH, Jeffrey, this is the kind of uncomfortable miserableness i was referring to.

:lol:

Which I do believe referred to another post by Stef from the same day, about the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the newer contributors. I can't for the life of me find that original post... perhaps it was in short term parking... or perhaps Persona finally realized the error of his ways regarding the Lindsey Lohan Disney years.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 25 February 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#19 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,266 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

I'm fairly certain I own the record for posting erroneous links. And I'm probably in the running for "Most Often Ahem-ed." It's nice to excel at something.

I think my most A&F embarrassing moment took place in silence a few years back when I finally discovered mrmando's "Secret of the Avatars," and felt humiliated by just how obvious and simple it was. Actually, I don't think I ever did admit it.

Edited by Overstreet, 25 February 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#20 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

I think my most A&F embarrassing moment took place in silence a few years back when I finally discovered mrmando's "Secret of the Avatars," and felt humiliated by just how obvious and simple it was. Actually, I don't think I ever did admit it.

The secret was discovered? What was it?!