30 Rock

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,233 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

As a result, the character of Jenna has become a one-joke character, and an already shallow character has become even shallower -- and less funny as a result.

I agree with this.

In truth, I think all the characters are starting to wear thin, except for Jack.

Which reminds me: Was no one else amused by the episode that had Jack falling for Avery's mom, played by Mary Steenburgen? I thought their banter was pretty funny.

I liked their interactions quite a bit.

#82 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Just watched last night's live episode -- on nbc.com, hours after the episode aired! -- and thought it was great.

I watched the East Coast broadcast. The West Coast broadcast is also available at the site. Anyone know whether the second live episode is distinct enough to merit watching?

#83 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 4,922 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Just watched last night's live episode -- on nbc.com, hours after the episode aired! -- and thought it was great.

I watched the East Coast broadcast. The West Coast broadcast is also available at the site. Anyone know whether the second live episode is distinct enough to merit watching?

A couple of the cameos are different, but I'm told it largely plays the same.

I loved the episode, which surprises me-- I did not care for the first live episode, and have only half-watched the current season of the show. But this one worked so well-- all of the cameos were hilarious, but the aboslute highlight, for me, was Donald Glover's hysterial impression of a young Tracy Jordan.

#84 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,684 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

There were a few differences, but nothing really major:

Kim Kardashian instead of Paul McCartney; she makes a Twitter joke at the end

Cheyenne Jackson sings theme instead of Jane Krakowski; mentions draft, 49ers took AJ Jenkins

The "gay doctor," not Nazi doctor; present-day doctor commercial had a few different jokes, too

In the Laugh In sketch, Baldwin was Charles Nelson Reilly (I think) instead of Nixon

Brian Williams played David Brinkley instead of Jon Hamm

The west coast audience seemed less enthusiastic, too.

#85 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Grrrr! I noticed in the paper that the show's final season premiere would begin at 8 p.m. Eastern, thought, "Hey, I'm home tonight with nothing to do, so I'll watch it," but just realized it's 8:15 and I've been on the computer in the home office for 30 minutes. Drat.

Thank goodness for streaming, but not until tomorrow.

#86 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I'm reading tweets that 30 Rock ended tonight. And I still have to watch last week's episode! (I think.)

How'd THAT happen?

#87 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Nope. The hour-long series finale is next Thursday. Tonight's episode could have been a finale, though.

#88 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ah, thanks!

#89 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Dang finale snuck up on me. And I'm now three episodes behind! Do I watch the finale first, then catch up?

#90 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,684 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

The last few episodes have been more serialized than the show usually is, and there were some major plot points. You might be a little lost if you watch the finale without them.

#91 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

WHY DOES TYLER ALWAYS RUIN MY EVENING PLANS???

#92 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,233 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Dang finale snuck up on me. And I'm now three episodes behind! Do I watch the finale first, then catch up?

Have an epic marathon tonight. Watch all of them right before the finale.

#93 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Have an epic marathon tonight. Watch all of them right before the finale.

A life update, from Christian:

In 2002, my first daughter was born.
In 2004, my second daughter was born.
In 2006, my first son was born.
In 2008, my second son was born.

What does this tell you about my evening plans?

GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER, people! What I mean is, I'll be getting kids ready for bed after dinner. There's no time for 30 Rock marathons before the final episode airs.

I trust those with children will understand, and sympathize.

Edited by Christian, 31 January 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#94 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,233 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I just think you should make tonight as much like a 30 ROCK episode as you can. So embrace your inner Liz Lemon and let your family life hilariously implode as you struggle to watch all of the 30 ROCK you missed only to come to terms with the inevitability of your own failure.

#95 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

That sounds perfect.

#96 Christian

Christian

• 10,476 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Here's what happened. At the dinner table, my wife blurted out, "So, '30 Rock' marathon tonight?"

Yes!

We left the kids to do the dishes and get ready for bed while we headed downstairs to watch the previous three episodes online. I'd actually seen the third-to-last episode, but Sarah hadn't. It was funnier the second time around! The other two episodes were OK.

The boys, of course, had trouble executing the plan of getting ready for bed themselves, but they did accomplish the task 20 minutes late, with next to no supervision from us.

The final episode(s) was (were) pretty good.

At 9 p.m., we put on Deadwood and discovered after the final episode of disc 5 that disc 6 has only supplemental material! So we finished Deadwood the same night we finished 30 Rock!