30 Rock

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 4,919 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

One of the only funny people on SNL says her final "Good Night... and have a pleasant tomorrow."

#2 TexasWill

TexasWill

Easy Black Russian Terror Suspect

• 639 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:35 AM

Rachel Dratch is also leaving for 30 Rock.

Edited by TexasWill, 25 July 2006 - 11:35 AM.

#3 Russ

Russ

• 1,083 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:37 PM

I suspect they'll both be free to return sometime before Christmas.

(Was that my out-loud voice?)

There isn't room enough for two meta-SNL shows, and I think the other one is going to go further.

#4 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

There isn't room enough for two meta-SNL shows, and I think the other one is going to go further.

Oh, how I am looking forward to the other one.

I'm not the only one here with a wicked crush on Tina Fey, right?

#5 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:52 PM

SNL is also scaling down the cast list, from what Lorne Michaels has said recently.

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,863 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

TexasWill wrote:
: Rachel Dratch is also leaving for 30 Rock.

Fey AND Dratch? Swoon.

#7 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 4,919 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

Rumor has it Horatio Sanz is leaving, as well.

Thank God.

#8 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Jul 25 2006, 03:58 PM) View Post

TexasWill wrote:

Fey AND Dratch? Swoon.

A week later and I am still stunned that you would swoon over Rachel Dratch.

#9 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(SZPT @ Aug 3 2006, 09:07 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Jul 25 2006, 03:58 PM) View Post

TexasWill wrote:

Fey AND Dratch? Swoon.

A week later and I am still stunned that you would swoon over Rachel Dratch.

Peter is not the only one who likes Rachel Dratch. Sara and I are big fans as well.

I've never been able to figure out why so many people dislike her. Most of the SNL fan sites that bash her complain that she's "ugly." While she's no glamour model, she has a face for comedy and carries herself well.

She and Tina Fey have a long history of collaboration so it doesn't surprise me that they are leaving together.

#10 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

The thing that always amazed me about Dratch is that she played boys so well. She seems to relish the opportunity. I found her one of the more versatile cast members. That Sanz is leaving is an immediate improvement for SNL. Even his movie roles and cameos brought the level of any project he touched down a notch.

#11 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,560 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(Rich Kennedy @ Aug 4 2006, 05:53 PM) View Post

The thing that always amazed me about Dratch is that she played boys so well. She seems to relish the opportunity. I found her one of the more versatile cast members. That Sanz is leaving is an immediate improvement for SNL. Even his movie roles and cameos brought the level of any project he touched down a notch.

I have a funny story involving Sanz, David Dark and David Bazan...but it'll have to wait 'til another time. wink.gif

#12 gordimer

gordimer

• New User
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:23 AM

sounds like Seth Myers will be the new head writer. ugh.

#13 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:02 AM

CNN story on the changes and cuts at SNL

#14 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,731 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(gordimer @ Aug 9 2006, 01:23 AM) View Post

sounds like Seth Myers will be the new head writer. ugh.

A good thing out of this: he will no longer be doing sketch comedy.

Nick

#15 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

Can anyone report on last night's "30 Rock"? I had a meeting and had to miss it.

#16 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,731 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Nov 2 2006, 12:07 PM) View Post

Can anyone report on last night's "30 Rock"? I had a meeting and had to miss it.
It was a lesser episode. One of the female characters dresses inappropriately for work, and everybody is distracted (while all the men state that it wasn't a problem AT ALL). Baldwin insists to sit in on the creative meetings, and begins to take it over.

Tina Fey's humor is mostly reactionary. That means she can sell a terrible joke, and milk yuks out of it, by showing Baldwin laughing hysterically, and thus the joke is that this GE "suit" has no concept at what comedy is. Good for her.

Me, I fell asleep watching it.

#17 Sara Zarr

Sara Zarr

Drive-By Poster / The Glen Online

• Glen Online
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hah! I just came to post that it was my favorite episode so far and I think it's improving. I love watching Alec Baldwin and I thought the bits with Kenny the Page were funny.

#18 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

30 Rock moves to Thursdays beginning tonight, and it gets a major endorsement today in The Washington Post, courtesy of Tom Shales:

"30 Rock" clearly deserves another shot, and tonight's episode shows why. The series has consistently and considerably improved since its premiere, and although it unfortunately shares its setting -- backstage at a "Saturday Night Live" kind of comedy show -- with NBC's congested windbag "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," the sitcom is refreshingly bright, sweet and, lest one forget, funny. ...

Donaghy's prominence in the story lines has grown because Baldwin's performance is so rare and rich. He isn't doing the easy thing, which would be portraying a network executive as a clueless doofus. Although it's true that Donaghy is full of stupendously wrongheaded notions that he foolishly mistakes for ideas, as well as a pronounced bullying streak, Baldwin gives him an unlikely subtle poignancy. Instead of merely hating Jack, you're likely to develop a soft spot for him, especially when he tries to dismiss failure as mere foible. ...

Regardless of problems, "30 Rock" has earned its spot on the schedule, and not just because comedies are in such woefully short supply -- although, come to think of it, that might be reason enough right there. "30 Rock" is as good as "The Office," "My Name Is Earl" and the rapidly aging "Scrubs." ...

Baldwin's performance, on the other hand, seems perilously close to perfect, beyond improving ...

Most of the time, Baldwin's character is the one doling out abuse and yet, in a truly neat trick, Baldwin makes him the show's most sympathetic soul. That's beyond acting; it's more like alchemy. And a crazy joy to watch.

--If you haven't been watching, try it out tonight. Baldwin alone makes it worthwhile.

#19 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

Last night's episode had a few good belly laughs, but all in all, it was a let down. I hope future episodes improve.

Alan, can we change the thread title to "30 Rock"?

#20 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

I’ve come to enjoy the lack of activity in this thread, and being the only person to highlight each week’s episode of “30 Rock.” Maybe Sara will have something to say about last night’s episode, but until that time, let me … well, let me repeat myself, since my thoughts on the earlier episodes continue to apply to the most recent outing:

This show’s humor is wildly inconsistent, but when it’s good, it’s really good. And it’s really good whenever Alec Baldwin is on. His interplay with Tina Fey is one for the ages. Give the man an Emmy.