Do You Smoke? Why?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 03:45 PM

I do still enjoy the occasional cigarette and find absolutely nothing wrong with it and I do not find it to be hazardous to my health. This is definitely a personal decision...

I definitely think the church has overreacted to smoking, but when it comes being hazardous to one's health, I'm afraid you don't get a vote. I hope for your sake that the coroner finds it wasn't hazardous to your health.

Let us not forget that I said "the occasional cigarette." Most people breath in more second hand smoke in 30 minutes than I do when enjoying "the occasional cigarette" a couple of times.

Also, there was a recent study that said cigarettes actually increase the ability of the memory and there is now new research being done regarding cigarettes and their effects on Alzheimer’s.

That being said, I would have to say that probably almost everyone here is enjoying something, in someway that it hazardous to their health.

If we look at things that are hazardous to our health then I hope you are also looking at the serving sizes and foods one might eat. There is a direct correlation between that and heart problems which eventually result in death.

#22 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,615 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 03:45 PM

I used to smoke but gave it up cold turkey after a long battle with salmonella.

Perhaps you got the salmonella from the cold turkey?

#23 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 03:47 PM

I used to smoke but gave it up cold turkey after a long battle with salmonella.

Perhaps you got the salmonella from the cold turkey?

Let me just say this...I wish it was!!

#24 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:20 AM

(I find it sad that Christians are so judgmental towards people who smoke. I watch people from church sneak outside, around the corner and cross over into the woods simply to have a cigarette. People, people, people we aren’t this hard on the person standing next to us sharing tidbits of information regarding another person’s life and that is sin!

Not sure whether this was just a general opinion, or you specifically had me in mind when you wrote it after my comments above? If so apologies if I came across as judgemental. God's still working on that I s'pose.

I guess I'd add that I would fully want any smokers in church to smoke freely (so long as its not gonna affect anyone's health - so I guess not inside). I too hate it that people have to hide to be themselves, and tho I don't think its wise to smoke I'd prefer those who disagree (or who agree but do it anyway) to be able to do it without feeling condemend and looked down on by their equally shortfalling peers.

FWIW Part of the reason I shared as I did was cos I wanted to be open about my shortcomings to rather than doing the debating equivalent of hiding in the woods to have a sneaky cig. Hope that's OK?

Matt

(nearly said the British slang word for cgiarette "fag" then before I remembered what it was slang for over there!)

#25 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:40 AM

Ha! When I was a kid, I knew what a "faggot" was before I knew what a homosexual was, if that makes any sense. Then I went away to summer Bible Camp. The final night before going home we would have a big bonfire service during which we were urged to show commitment to Christ by, "throwing a faggot on the fire," ie. a stick of wood. I apologise to any gay folk out there reading this, but even at 14 and in the late 60's, this seemed comical and at least odd. Where do these terms come from!? I've always had in the back of my mind, the urge to consult the OED on this one.

#26 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:08 AM

Some website reckoned this

"The most common explanation for the homosexual epithet goes like this: Faggot is a bundle of sticks, from the Italian. In the late 16th century, the word acquired the sense of a woman, especially a shrewish one. The sense probably comes from the idea of a faggot being a burden or baggage (not unlike the modern ball and chain). Jump to the US, circa 1917, and the word transferred to effeminate or homosexual men."

Alternatively I'd heard it was cos at some stage in history they had been burned like a faggot of wood.

In the Uk we don't hear fag much but occasionally get faggot - funny eh?

Matt

PS Anyway...

#27 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:11 AM

(I find it sad that Christians are so judgmental towards people who smoke. I watch people from church sneak outside, around the corner and cross over into the woods simply to have a cigarette. People, people, people we aren’t this hard on the person standing next to us sharing tidbits of information regarding another person’s life and that is sin!

Not sure whether this was just a general opinion, or you specifically had me in mind when you wrote it after my comments above?

Oh no Matt, that was a general comment that wasn't directed at anyone here. I am fully accepting of others opinions here because it truly seems communal in that we are all being who we are. There is an amount of transparency in these forums that allows us all to be heard, challenged and, hopefully, grow. I do appreciate your sensitivity to the matter.

It seems that smoking is just so obvious to point a finger at (health issues aside) which then may make one feel better about their own actions or at least take the heat off for a moment.

I have known many prominent artists who loved the Lord with all their heart and smoked. They often had the struggle, and challenge, determining when smoking would be appropriate. The judgment placed on them and their ministry could have grave consequences. Would their message be rejected? How would this example affect those who looked up to them? But they did enjoy a smoke.

What about emotional health? There are some many things we all do that are as destructive to our emotional health as smoking is to our physical health. There have also been studies showing the link between physical health issues that began as emotional, mental or psychological problems. So I think smoking could end up lower on the list of concerns regarding health.

#28 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:51 PM

ph-y-ew.

I think I agree with most of what you've said above, particularly w.r.t. health. How many youth leaders who have done the "no smoking" talk have gone on to tell you about the potential dangers of mobile phones, of over tiredness / over work? Not many I'd guess

Matt

#29 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,073 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:59 PM

Hmm, some interesting thoughts here. A few of my own, in response:

- It's always important to be cognizant of the universal tendency towards judgmentalism and the corresponding need for a sense of moral superiority. It's ironic that the Bible belt is also known as the obesity belt of America, so I wonder how many of the folks condemning smoking and drinking are making multiple visits to the dessert table at church socials, ergo clogging their arteries in other damaging ways.

- Likewise, the point about emotional health is a valid one. We may be busy condemning tobacco use, but in many ways our workplaces (and churches) encourage and reward health-eroding workaholism. Clearly there are many detrimental physical and emotional offshoots of such behavior patterns.

- Then again, our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, so I have a hard time countenancing the use of a substance whose damaging bodily effects are superbly documented (even in small infrequent amounts, as I recall), with very little in the way of convincing data suggesting clear benefits (unlike alcohol, for instance).

Certainly a personal bias plays out here, too, as my mother died of a tobacco-related cancer at a young age, and I've been plagued with respiratory problems since childhood, that were undoubtedly worsened by years of inhaling secondhand smoke.

Anyhow, no judgmentalism is intended in these comments (Lord knows I have my own besetting 'issues'), but merely some more food for thought, I hope.

#30 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:46 PM

What happens when we get too much food for thought? Another form of obesity!! (tongue firmly in cheek)

#31 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,073 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:51 PM

Actually, I worry more about choking when I try to cram in too much food for thought.

(I know it's a lame attempt at humor, but it's the best I could manage tonight) smile.gif

#32 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:27 AM

The thought occurs that we also need to avoid being judgemental about people we think are judgemental. Now that's a toughie!

Matt

#33 Alvy

Alvy

Musical Thinker

• New User
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 11:59 AM

Matt,

I wish you wouldn't be so judgmental about people who are judgmental about other people being judgmental.

Consider yourself judged. :roll:

wink.gif

#34 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,232 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:14 PM

The thought occurs that we also need to avoid being judgemental about people we think are judgemental.

Good point. (Though who am I to judge?)

#35 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 03:01 AM

Good point.  (Though who am I to judge?)

I eagerly await the next phrase of the day (du jour for you bilingual ice birds).

#36 BBBCanada

BBBCanada

Musical/Existential Calendar Guy

• 680 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:47 AM

Well, it appears that I am joining this discussion late once again.

This question of smoking raises the whole “Christ and culture” dichotomy for me. Many fundamentalist types whom condemn smoking probably drive cars. Cars, as I understand it, are statistically “hazardous to your health.” There is a whole host of other detrimental activities that we “probably shouldn’t do.” However, this may require that we live like the Amish who in part live like that FOR THAT VERY REASON. Things we shouldn’t do. Holiness. Do we want to go down that road? Seems so contrary to WWJD who was extremely embedded in his Palestinian life and culture.

Anyhoo, this past year I started smoking the occasional cigar. Mancanudo Rothschild. Mmmmm…best tasting cigar I have ever tasted. Too expensive though. Presently, I smoke a cheap $3.50 Caffe Coretto. It tastes pretty good for what it costs. But I’ve tasted some really cheap ones? I may as well have had a turd stick’n outta my mouth. :?

What was interesting reading was the calming, reflective effects of smoking a cigar. Indeed, I have found this true for me personally. I sit in my car with the window opened and light up. I think some of us thinker types find this activity particularly satisfying. You really have to slow down when you smoke a cigar. Having said that, I just want to say…

THANK YOU JEEEESUUUUS!!! user posted image

P.S. By the way, have any of you been to this site? http://www.forces.org/index.htm

#37 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 02:15 PM

From the 12/23 Borowitz Report:

QADDAFI TO GIVE UP SMOKING

Opens Libya to U.N. Ashtray Inspectors

In what some White House officials are hailing as the successful result of months of backdoor diplomacy, Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi of Libya agreed today to give up cigarettes once and for all.

“It’s a filthy, filthy habit,” said Col. Qaddafi, grinding a pack of Lucky Strikes under his polished jackboot. “I should have given it up years ago.”

The Libyan madman, whom the White House now refers to as the former Libyan madman, invited U.N. inspectors to Libya to search his office for ashtrays.

According to close associates, Col. Qadaffi is also contemplating destroying his stockpile of unconventional hats.

While Bush administration officials were quick to take credit for Col. Qaddafi’s decision to stop smoking, experts said he was probably motivated by a desire to return to the international community, which frowns on chain-smoking dictators.

“The U.N. building, for the most part, is a non-smoking building,” said Dr. Jeremy Criswell of the University of Minnesota. “Qaddafi couldn’t get through a speech to the General Assembly without running outside every two minutes for a quick cig.”

But even as world leaders praised Col. Qaddafi’s decision to quit his four-pack-a-day habit, his college roommate, shoe salesman Mustafa Fakude, expressed skepticism about Col. Qaddafi’s willpower.

“This is just another one of Muammar’s lame New Year’s Eve resolutions,” said Mr. Fakude, who shared a dorm room with Col. Qaddafi at Libya State University back when the dictator was known simply as Bluto Qaddafi. “I remember when he promised to give up beer. Yeah, right! That lasted about five minutes.”

#38 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:08 PM

Well, it appears that I am joining this discussion late once again.

Better late than never, I says. You always bring a rather different perspective along.smile.gif

Anyhoo, this past year I started smoking the occasional cigar. Mancanudo Rothschild. Mmmmm…best tasting cigar I have ever tasted. Too expensive though. Presently, I smoke a cheap $3.50 Caffe Coretto. It tastes pretty good for what it costs. But I’ve tasted some really cheap ones? I may as well have had a turd stick’n outta my mouth. :?

I know exactly what you are talking about. We really should get together, if you bring over some nice Cuban Bolivar bellicosos, or Montecristo #2's, I'll introduce you to a great cigar shop that has EVERYTHING (but Cubans of course), at great prices. I'm talking about "Tobacco Road" type prices. I'll even reimburse you for the Cubans.

#39 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:31 PM

So everyone meet at Rich's for a cigar night!! I'll have a clove instead.

Bring your smoking jacket!

#40 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 03:14 AM

Ha! Hey, you [epithet]Chicago[/epithet] types, I DARE you to come on by Chez Richard. We'll have a great time and the guest room will be vacant after the holidays. Just let me know. The thing with "BBB" is, he's just across the river. Detroit and Windsor have always been pretty tight.