Do You Smoke? Why?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 BBBCanada

BBBCanada

Musical/Existential Calendar Guy

• 680 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 03:15 PM

That's right Rich. We're pretty tight. I've always thought of us as "another 'burb" of Deeetroit. Which means, that I shouldn't have to pay to go across the river. Which means there may soon to be a protest at the border. biggrin.gif

Now, I hear the Montecristos can be pretty expensive. Is that true? I don't know about the Bolivar bellicosos at all. How are they in terms of costs? There are several places in the downtown core where I can purchase these. I'll have to check 'em out before we get together. We'll also need some wine you know. Now thaaaat's the life. Cigars, wine and buddies. Kick up the feet. Sit on the back porch. You've got a back porch don't cha? If you don't? OK. Whatev'r, we'll make due.

asher, that's right. Everyone at Rich's. Oh, sorry Rich. It's OK with you and the Mrs. right? :wink:

#42 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:31 PM

Now, I hear the Montecristos can be pretty expensive. Is that true? I don't know about the Bolivar bellicosos at all. How are they in terms of costs? There are several places in the downtown core where I can purchase these. I'll have to check 'em out before we get together.

Ahem. They are. I don't know exact prices, but any Cuban handmade is wildly expensive and certain ones are worth it. I did say I'd reimburse you, so give me fair warning.:oops: And I'm not talking by the box either. I have become fond of the imitations of those two at the place mentioned above, which is why I mentioned them in particular. I've never actually had a real one of either yet.

We'll also need some wine you know. Now thaaaat's the life. Cigars, wine and buddies. Kick up the feet. Sit on the back porch. You've got a back porch don't cha? If you don't? OK. Whatev'r, we'll make due.

I prefer bourbon, of which I have plenty, but wine is fine as well. I'd think the back porch would be a little cold. Something can be worked out.

asher, that's right. Everyone at Rich's. Oh, sorry Rich. It's OK with you and the Mrs. right? :wink:

There may be more truth in this than you think, besides, the Babe and I don't always have the same days off. :twisted:

Oh, just how "tight" are you? Are you a "Wing Nut" or a "Least Fan"?

#43 BBBCanada

BBBCanada

• 680 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 11:30 AM

Rich,

I'll give ya fair warning. I was in a bar in Windsor http://www.kokopellies.com/ here last year and a guy I was shoot'n the breeze with next to me offered me a sip of his bourbon. Whoa! Nice stuff. Went down on the warm side. I'm afraid I don't drink bourbon and my innards might not be able to handle it. Whaddya think? Wanna do this sometime in the New Year? As to the Wings? I'm between a "Nut" and a fan if that makes sense. :-k

#44 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:24 PM

Definitely early this year. Just the live fellowship alone among participants here is something to savor.

#45 BBBCanada

BBBCanada

• 680 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:38 AM

Rich,

I'm ALL ABOUT fellowship. You and the "Babe" will also have to come over here for some Tunnel Bar BQ, on me of course. They have excellent ribs! See ya then...

#46 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

Remember all those federal bailouts that we all needed so very desperately to stop the end of the world?

Well, they're finally starting to find ways to spend all that money. That should help the economy.

#47 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,222 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

Funny that this thread should come up after all this time. About two years ago I actually *started* smoking (so in my mid-twenties, well after most people do, or so I'm led to believe). It was mostly in response to loneliness and stress. I was living alone at the time and I'd have many days where I would leave work and wouldn't see anybody else until the next day. One or two vacations or weekends where I wouldn't see anybody I knew for the whole period. During this time I was also frequently emotionally and mentally exhausted from my work, so the last thing I wanted was to read something stimulating or watch a movie that would make me feel anything more than I already was. So I started smoking. It had a tremendous effect of numbing my emotions and clouding up my brain so that I couldn't think about much of anything. It came to where just the one cigarette when I got home from work kind of "cut the line" emotionally and mentally between my work and my home.

I've mostly quit since then.... "Mostly" because whenever I'm with somebody who pulls out a pack, I'm always like, "Oooh, can I have one?" Which happens fairly rarely fortunately. But I quit buying my own cigarettes something like 6 months ago. I have to say that my main motivation for quitting is that I know that I'll never land a quality, Godly, woman to be my life-partner if I'm a smoker (or at least, I'll hurt my chances in a major way.) I know it's bad for you, but it's really easy to think, "I know people who smoke a PACK A DAY. I'm only smoking one cigarette a day. I'm not REALLY a smoker."

#48 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Remember all those federal bailouts that we all needed so very desperately to stop the end of the world?

Well, they're finally starting to find ways to spend all that money. That should help the economy.

That is sooo absurd! Not only have "they" gouged tobacco companies in exchange for allowing them to make legal products, the tobacco taxes on the finished product are ridiculous and pushed a sin taxes. So, huge percentages for revenue. That revenue is now spent on discouraging the behavior that brings in the sin taxes. Nice.

#49 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

Oh for the more innocent days

Watching Mad Men the other night reminded me of this thread again.

#50 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

ALVA NOË: Electronic Cigarettes and the Appearance of Smoking

Anti-smoking activists have long worked hard to tarnish the appeal and glamor of the smoke. They've been trying to tear-down smoking's image. From their point of view, pretend smoking is dangerous if it does anything to make smoking seem appealing. In the trenches of the smoking propaganda wars, a smoking simulacrum is a dangerous weapon, not because it's dangerous itself or poses dangers to others, but precisely because it may not.

And on the other side, manufacturers and their shills are quick to insist that that e-cigarettes are a tool for quitting. Why? Not because they are a safer cigarette, but because they are not a cigarette at all, but rather a nicotine-delivery system that has the appearance of a cigarette. Again, the value in a simulacrum.