Ice Cream

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hard to believe we don't have a thread for this most perfect food.

What's your flavor of favor?
Spoiler
? or do you think it's stupid for Baskin-Robbins to even sell Vanilla when it has so many more interesting flavors?
Spoiler
?
Spoiler
?

Ben and Jerry make lots of fun flavors; I lean toward Cherry Garcia and Chunky Monkey. But I'm also fond of store brand vanilla with orange sherbert swirled in.

Tonight I had a new one from B&J: Black and Tan -- cream stout ice cream with chocolate ice cream. Better than it sounds.

#2 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,635 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

My favorite is mint chocolate chip. Not too fussy about who makes it.

Used to be a place across the street from church that had killer mango-jalapeno ice cream. Sad to say, they went out of business. Piece on NPR the other day about boutique ice cream in L.A. that mentioned this flavor.

One March, Haagen-Dazs put out a Bailey's Irish Cream flavor that was to die for. I've also had the Guinness ice cream.

The Stinking Rose in L.A. has garlic ice cream. Try it sometime.

#3 Chashab

Chashab

• 541 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

Best Vanilla: Breyers natural vanilla bean

Best Chocolate: Godiva

Best low-fat: Braums cappucino chunky chocolate frozen yogurt

Flavors I like: Tin Roof Sunday, Cookie Dough, Praline Pecan

Most recent surprise: Strawberry Cheesecake (Edys, I think it was)

I really like Breyers naturals over all. They don't use corn syrup, and the texture and taste is more like homemade.

#4 TexasWill

TexasWill

Easy Black Russian Terror Suspect

• 639 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:49 AM

Bought some Breyer's All-Natural Cherry Vanilla last night (black cherries in vanilla ice cream).

It was so wonderful that even lactose-intolerant Sara had a scoop. w00t.gif

#5 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,114 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

This sounds like the coolest ice cream shop, ever: http://www.nytimes.c...osciutto&st=cse

Whenever I have disposable income again, I want to revisit San Francisco, this time with the kids.

#6 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,635 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

My favorite at Baskin Robbins is one that is there every summer: Baseball nut.

#7 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,635 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

This sounds like the coolest ice cream shop, ever: http://www.nytimes.c...osciutto&st=cse

Earlier today I was joking with my wife about opening a shop called Killer Ice Cream, and naming flavors after Jack the Ripper and his ilk. It sounded outrageous until I read this.

#8 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Anything Breyers, but definitely their chocolate, and two scoops from 31 Flavors -- peanut butter chocolate and... I forget the other one, maybe it is Mississippi Mudd? Is that a form of chocolate?

#9 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,635 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

As a chocolate lover I disavow any flavor of ice cream that claims to be chocolate. Chocolate is something that can be added to ice cream in chunks or poured over it, but as a flavor, it ceases to be chocolate.

#10 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,716 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

While most Cincinnatians (and Oprah) swear by Graeter's, I prefer Aglamesis Bros. If you are ever in Cincinnati, or if you have $90 to drop on a UPS shipment of ice cream, you cannot really go wrong with either one. The Black Raspberry Chip from Graeter's is amazing, as is their seasonably available peach, and the Double Dutch Chocolate (Darryl's comment notwithstanding) from Aglamesis is sublime, especially with blended raspberry whipped cream and crushed pecans.

#11 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

While most Cincinnatians (and Oprah) swear by Graeter's, I prefer Aglamesis Bros. If you are ever in Cincinnati, or if you have $90 to drop on a UPS shipment of ice cream, you cannot really go wrong with either one. The Black Raspberry Chip from Graeter's is amazing, as is their seasonably available peach, and the Double Dutch Chocolate (Darryl's comment notwithstanding) from Aglamesis is sublime, especially with blended raspberry whipped cream and crushed pecans.

Graeter's (we have 'em up in Columbus, too) is consistently superb in a non-adventurous way. That's not a criticism. When I want a deliciously creamy scoop of ice cream with big chocolate chunks in it, and I do pretty much six days per week, then Graeter's is the perfect solution. Occasionally I like to branch out in more esoteric directions, and then local favorite Jeni's Ice Cream is the place to be for flavors like Kona Stout and Sweet Corn and Black Raspberries.

Edited by Andy Whitman, 27 July 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#12 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,716 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Ohh--just tried some Jeni's recently (apparently you can get it at local Whole Foods), and it was excellent. There was a Meyer Lemon variety that was wonderful.

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Overstreet, 27 July 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#14 Christian

Christian

• 10,708 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Is it just my imagination, or is chocolate chip going the way of the dinosaur? I realize it's not hard to find, but it used to be common. Now, I always see chocolate chunk, and cookies and cream, which aren't exactly the same thing. Maybe chips are just too tiny for a country accustomed to LARGE everything when it comes to food.

#15 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Is it just my imagination, or is chocolate chip going the way of the dinosaur? I realize it's not hard to find, but it used to be common. Now, I always see chocolate chunk, and cookies and cream, which aren't exactly the same thing. Maybe chips are just too tiny for a country accustomed to LARGE everything when it comes to food.

Graeter's plays both sides of this dilemma, calling various flavors <Something> Chip, when in reality the chips are the size of Buick Regals. I'm not complaining.

Edited by Andy Whitman, 27 July 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#16 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

As a chocolate lover I disavow any flavor of ice cream that claims to be chocolate. Chocolate is something that can be added to ice cream in chunks or poured over it, but as a flavor, it ceases to be chocolate.

ice cream snob

#17 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,635 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Don't miss checking out B&J's newest flavor: SchweddyBalls

#18 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,049 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

Don't miss checking out B&J's newest flavor: SchweddyBalls

So THIS is where I should have posted that. I posted it here yesterday...

#19 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Loved the sketch. Would have tried the flavor, but malted milk balls are a no-no with me. I can't stand them regardless of what surrounds them.

I'll bet that many roll their eyes at Haagen-Dazs. However, their "5" line is excellent. The idea is five ingredients only. Coffee ice cream is my favorite and H-D makes great coffee ice cream. The 5 version is every bit as good without all the extra and now apparrantly needless extra ingredients. Of the 5 line though, ginger is right up there with the coffee. Quite different and refreshing.

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 11 September 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#20 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,972 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

I found the original SNL sketch to be less funny than discomfiting, and the idea of voluntarily eating a flavor of ice cream named after it does not appeal to me.