Bortz' Newest AEffort

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

So I wrote a 4 page script for the SacTicket "Show Us Your Shorts" Contest and the "Seeds of Tolerance" Contest sponsored by Current TV.

I finished the script and found to my horror that the deadline for the Seeds of Tolerance contest was, um, that night. In, um, 3 hours.

Ok, so I had a script for the Sac Ticket contest!

So we shot the thing on the Panasonic HVX in high def, yes we did. And I realized that there was no way to make it a 4 min film. Yes I did.

But I was wrong.

Originally, it landed at 5:42 after the edit. We trimmed it to a 5 minute version sans credits and I decided that this would be my entry for Spielberg's "On the Lot" thingamajiggy. Trimming it to 5 min was a great exercise, and I knew that I could take it back out in the Master for the festival circuit.

Then came the butchery: how to strip a story down to its basic elements and maintain its integrity.

Long story short, we did it, and I learned a great deal in the process. Every pause became a luxury, every beat a question: Does this further the story? This instant? This one? This?

I am happy with the 4 minute. I'm happier with the 5 minute which, now that we're done with the 4, we re-edited and came in at 4:55 and decided it would be the Festival copy as well, so the TRT will be about 5:20 with credits.

Anywho, thought I'd share. And if you're interested in seeing the chopped-down version, go here.

I'll mount the 5 min. version later this month on the Lot website. I still need to shoot my intro. smile.gif

Edited by Jason Bortz, 06 November 2006 - 06:49 PM.

#2 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

I always love your sigfile. I look forward to seeing any version of your film.

#3 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

We're in the Top Five.

You'll need to register to see them/vote--they won't spam you, don't worry. smile.gif

#4 Neb

Neb

• 164 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Just watched it: nicely done!

I'm bemused by the "comments" on the site. What's with the guy annoyed about having "propaganda crammed down my throat"? I guess I missed that part of the film.

Neb

#5 Plot Device

Plot Device

• 229 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Jason Bortz @ Nov 6 2006, 06:47 PM) View Post
Then came the butchery: how to strip a story down to its basic elements and maintain its integrity.

Long story short, we did it, and I learned a great deal in the process. Every pause became a luxury, every beat a question: Does this further the story? This instant? This one? This?

I am guilty of too much character exposition. I hate to kill character moments.

Congrats on your bravery at killing your darlings.

#6 MattP

MattP

The artist formerly known as popechild

• 595 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

So Bortz...
Last day to enter OTL - did you get your submission in? If so, is it online on their website?

#7 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

Actually, yes, it's up and on there--the full, five minute version. I'd encourage everyone to check it out, give me feedback/critique, etc. There're a few things I'd change, but hey--we made it in 2 days.

Don't think I made it onto The Lot, though. C'est la vie!

I'm sorry, I'm kinda reeling over the fact that I'm seeing FUGITIVE HUNTER on the 'Amazon' link to the right of this page. It's a direct-to-DVD release that, um, I'm a principle character in...

EDIT:

Forgot to mention: the 4 minute version was a finalist and I won back most of the money I spent on it. As an added bonus, the full version will play on the big screen at the Sacramento International Film & Music Festival this August. smile.gif

Edited by Jason Bortz, 01 March 2007 - 06:46 PM.

#8 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,104 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

Jason, congratulations. It's great to see your work up on the site. But I can't believe you cut my scene. I worked so hard.

Really, seriously, it's great to see your work AND your face again. Did I almost see you work in your Harrison Ford furrowed brow just as your testimony faded to black?

#9 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,459 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:37 PM

Hey Jason, I really loved the short.

How did the little brother cough the croup so well? What a horrible sound. It was perfect.

-s.

#10 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

Jeffrey

QUOTE(Jeffrey Overstreet @ Mar 1 2007, 05:06 PM) View Post
Did I almost see you work in your Harrison Ford furrowed brow just as your testimony faded to black?

Shhh.

And sorry about your scene. The censors nailed us.

I told you the SprayFoam was going too far...

stef

Brian Rife is an amazing actor. Like, amazing.

----

Oh, and my newest 'blogging on the site is called The Problems with Christian Films.

Edited by Jason Bortz, 02 March 2007 - 03:55 AM.

#11 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

Jason – I have a feeling this film/video is going to be well received in Sacramento. I loved the quietness that hangs over the entire piece. The "I love you" in the end is an interesting choice. Thanks for sharing your work.

Edited by Thom(asher), 07 March 2007 - 03:14 PM.

#12 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

I figured this might be a good place to do an “ask the director” type of thing.

Why did you choose to shoot with the Panasonic HVX and in high def?

#13 Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz

Unafraid of Ghost Cows.

• 1,442 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(Thom(asher) @ Mar 6 2007, 09:50 AM) View Post

It's readily available, incredibly time-saving, looks great, and the assassins would have killed my family if I hadn't used it.

#14 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,859 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Jason Bortz @ Mar 6 2007, 12:12 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Thom(asher) @ Mar 6 2007, 09:50 AM) View Post

It's readily available, incredibly time-saving, looks great, and the assassins would have killed my family if I hadn't used it.

The assassin reason would have been enough reason for me.