Photo

Battlestar Galactica

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#161 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 521 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

The Resistance webisodes are included with Season 3 set. It looks like The Face of the Enemy series isn't on DVD at all, though.

#162 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

The Resistance webisodes are included with Season 3 set. It looks like The Face of the Enemy series isn't on DVD at all, though.

Yeah, it's not, at least the last time I checked. OK, just confirmed on Wikipedia and Amazon — it doesn't seem to be included in any version of the series. That said, all ten are available on Hulu here. The webisodes are pretty good, too, so they're worth watching.

#163 techne

techne

• 384 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

(sigh)

hulu. the bane of my canadian tv existence...

in any case, i checked by season 3.0 set and they are on DVD2. i never really watched the extras as the episodes were already so engrossing. maybe i'll go back and watch all the supplementary materials now.

#164 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

(sigh)

hulu. the bane of my canadian tv existence...

in any case, i checked by season 3.0 set and they are on DVD2. i never really watched the extras as the episodes were already so engrossing. maybe i'll go back and watch all the supplementary materials now.

Oops! I forgot you're Canadian. Sorry :(

Also, from what I've read, people have reported that even though some DVDs say "Face of the Enemy" is on them, they really aren't.

#165 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

• 521 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

The BSG Series "Bible", along with some season one scripts, can be found here.

Two snippets of interest from Moore's introduction to the "bible:"

...our series employs a three-tiered structure to maintain tension and suspense every week. Similar to the one employed by the classic TV series "Hill Street Blues' but never attempted in science fiction, this structure lets us keep the pressure on our characters every week through the use of a long-term continuing storyline while at the same time allowing for weekly, stand-alone stories designed to hook in viewers who may not have watched last week's episode.

Never attempted in sci-fi? What about Bablyon 5? What about Moore's own efforts to make DS9 a longer-form work of sci-fi TV?

The key to the success of this series is to never,ever let the air out of the balloon- the battlestar Galactica lives in a perpetual state of crisis, one in which the Cylons can appear at any moment, and where terrorist bombs, murders, rebellions, accidents, and plagues are the unfortunate routines of day to day life. There are no days for our characters, no safe havens, nothing approaching the quiet normal existence they once knew. They are on the run for their very lives.

Much has been made of of the season 3 slump, especially that second half chunk that featured several weak standalone episodes in a row. If I had to pinpoint an "air-escaping" moment, it would be then. But I would be curious to hear Moore talk about what he wrote in 2003 and how he changed that approach as the Cylons' internal situation grew more complex; that they stopped being just the bad guys and splintered into opposing factions, giving the humans a bit more breathing space.

Edited by N.W. Douglas, 28 February 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#166 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Much has been made of of the season 3 slump, especially that second half chunk that featured several weak standalone episodes in a row. If I had to pinpoint an "air-escaping" moment, it would be then.

I'm watching the series currently with two other couples (I'm the only one who has seen the show in its entirety), and I'm dreading the season 3 lull. That everyone is hooked on the show is making me giddy. I'm just hoping it stays that way. I think the problem is that some of the episodes work in theory, but end up being 15 minutes too long.

#167 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

• 521 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Much has been made of of the season 3 slump, especially that second half chunk that featured several weak standalone episodes in a row. If I had to pinpoint an "air-escaping" moment, it would be then.

I'm watching the series currently with two other couples (I'm the only one who has seen the show in its entirety), and I'm dreading the season 3 lull. That everyone is hooked on the show is making me giddy. I'm just hoping it stays that way. I think the problem is that some of the episodes work in theory, but end up being 15 minutes too long.

I'm trying to remember if there's anything actually useful continuity wise in a couple of those. Maybe you could talk them into skipping the Helo/evil doctor and Tyrell/Cally/airlock episodes.

#168 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

I'm trying to remember if there's anything actually useful continuity wise in a couple of those. Maybe you could talk them into skipping the Helo/evil doctor and Tyrell/Cally/airlock episodes.

Well, having watched five years of Lost with these folks (that's years, not just seasons), I think they'll be able to hang in there. And I'm somewhat partial to the second story arc you mention.

#169 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 337 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

I didn't have Space when the BSG remake started and by the time I got that channel the series was already well underway. I'm picky about my viewing habits - I don't want to shell out $5 to rent 3-4 episodes at Blockbusters and I also don't like watching on my computer (that's what the big screen TV is for!) - so I never really watched the show except for a handful of episodes. But now that its been released completely I may eventually buy the complete series set.

#170 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

I didn't have Space when the BSG remake started and by the time I got that channel the series was already well underway. I'm picky about my viewing habits - I don't want to shell out $5 to rent 3-4 episodes at Blockbusters and I also don't like watching on my computer (that's what the big screen TV is for!) - so I never really watched the show except for a handful of episodes. But now that its been released completely I may eventually buy the complete series set.

The whole series is available on Netflix Instant, FWIW.

#171 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

He's Canadian, though, and it isn't available there.

#172 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

I've just started watching this; I think I'm halfway through season 1. (Thank you, Netflix streaming!)

I'm pretty thrilled with the writing, acting, and production values, but, every time I watch an episode, why do I find myself constantly humming the (moving, noble) original TV theme? I know it appeared briefly in a videogame in the first episode of the pilot, but I think it's been absent otherwise. It's one of the great SciFi themes and among the greatest TV themes, IMHO.

I like some of the throwbacks to the original series, especially the casting of Richard Hatch as as Zarek. (Too bad they didn't get Dirk Benedict in a cameo.)

I do not miss the daggit.

One of the thoughts I keep coming back to is how childish Star Trek seems in comparison to BG. I don't miss the unbridled humanism of ST or stupid characters like Neelix. Even Commander Data seems pointless in light of the fearsome (and much more realistic) Cylon mimics. (But why only 12 models?)

#173 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

One of the other things I love about the show is its gritty realism. This isn't just a TV show where people use the toilet, they actually take dumps.

This is seen in the mechanics of survival--water rationing, phones with cords, exhaustion, laundry. Good stuff.

#174 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I just saw this on the IMDB trivia list for the remake:

Edward James Olmos had a clause in his contract that no strange aliens or monsters would ever appear on the show. He wanted to insure that the story stay focused on human drama.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

#175 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

He's Canadian, though, and it isn't available there.

Sorry. Didn't realize he was Canadian. My bad.

#176 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

I don't know if this is explained later in the series--so don't give any details just yes/no--but IF the Cylons are nearly perfect, synthetic, copies of human beings, then why don't they have free will (or something approximating it)? How are they programmed? Is it assumed that's done at a micro-neurological level? Is it equivalent to human brainwashing that leaves open the possibility of overcoming it?

Even if this is never explained, it would serve as an example of what makes this so superior both to Star Trek and Star Wars: mystery. Some things never get explained, and that's a good thing, because to do so without it being integral to the story would require that the storytellers reduce some character to a flat expositor rather than a realistic, limited creature with questions, doubts, and the rest. How many times do Star Trek characters pull some gadget/technique/algorithm out of their asses to neatly resolve the unknown? Why did Lucas have to insert midichloreans to explain away the Force? I hope BG keeps it up.

Another example of realism: The "bridge" on BG is apparently deep inside the craft somewhere, not on the top of the craft where it's easily hit with weapons (Star Trek) or on the outside of even the largest vessels, with huge windows (Star Wars). I never understood why Star Trek's bridge is where it is, especially given the fact that it doesn't have any windows, just a big-screen monitor--so there's no real point to having it where it is.

Edited by Pax, 03 March 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#177 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

I don't know if this is explained later in the series--so don't give any details just yes/no--but IF the Cylons are nearly perfect, synthetic, copies of human beings, then why don't they have free will (or something approximating it)? How are they programmed? Is it assumed that's done at a micro-neurological level? Is it equivalent to human brainwashing that leaves open the possibility of overcoming it?

That's one of the themes the Caprica series was setting itself up to explore more, but it got cancelled before they could get too far into it.

#178 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

My wife and I just finished watching the series today — first time through for her, second time for me. I'm surprised at how some things I didn't love as much the first time around (like the third season slump and some of the stuff in the fourth season) weren't really a problem this time around. I genuinely loved it, compared to the first time through, where I just liked it a lot. It wasn't a perfect show, but even some of the "boring" episodes felt good this time around.

I also really felt more connected to the supporting cast this time through. Sure, I loved hanging out with the main characters each episodes, but I really grew attached to people like Hoshi, medic Ishay, Hot Dog, Captain Kelly (who they really should've used more than three times a season), Seelix, Sgt. Erin Mathias, and others.

#179 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,734 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

Just started watching this on Netflix. Three episodes in, I'm liking it--am a little concerned that it may not sustain itself for 73 more hours, though. That's a lot of FTL jumps.

#180 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

Just started watching this on Netflix. Three episodes in, I'm liking it--am a little concerned that it may not sustain itself for 73 more hours, though. That's a lot of FTL jumps.

There's still time to stop! I recommend a permanent moratorium after 2x09, "Flight of the Phoenix."

I just pretend no other episodes were made after that--I must say I quite enjoy this tactic.