Battlestar Galactica

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#201 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,945 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

A trailer for the spinoff TV movie/show Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome premiered at Wondercon. NBC is blocking anyone who tries to put it on YouTube, but Crave Online has it on their site.

I wish they would've gone all the way and just called it Cylon with the Dragon Tattoo.

Blood and Chrome? Are there gladiatorial combat scenes or something?

A trailer for the spinoff TV movie/show Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome premiered at Wondercon.

And now Syfy isn't going to pick up the show. It might still become a web series at some point, though.

They could take it to Starz.

Edited by Nezpop, 23 March 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#202 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,694 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Blood and Chrome will premiere online this week.

#203 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,694 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

The first episode of Blood and Chrome looks quite good, for a web series, but I wasn't overly impressed with the story or characters. It was only 12 minutes long, though, so it might have room to grow.

#204 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,686 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I am forty one minutes away from concluding the series. Pretty well done overall, but this fourth season has dragged a lot, really only ramping up in the final episodes. I've read enough to know that there were significant complaints about the storylines faltering, and the relationships becoming more plot driving devices, but where the series excels, it excels with character moments that feel both right and surprising--I think of Starbuck's mocking of Gaeta and his choices later on. And where it goes south, it doesn't go too far south. But there's aspects of it that feel like unrealized potential, and Lost suffered the same fate with its reflective, silly final season. It's gotten too navel-gazing for its own good, bloated, without a sense of momentum so that when the end finally comes, its coming with a sense of action not merited by its own, but only in relation to the self-indulgence of the previous episodes. This season would have been stronger if it was more willing to kill off (or leave dead) larger characters. I'll look forward to finishing it and then reading back through the thread to see what others thought.

#205 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,686 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Finished it. Emotional finale, mostly earned, lots of questions.

#206 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,694 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

lots of questions.

Caprica started to answer some of them, but it got cancelled right when it was getting really interesting.

#207 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,686 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Spoilers, though its for a show off the air for five years, so not sure if that applies.

So, God saved Gaius Baltar using an angel who looked like Number 6. Baltar, slowly, painfully, over several years comes to believe in God, and somehow is essential at saving the human race despite enabling the destruction of 99.99% of it. The faith aspects of the show are really quite interesting--kudos to the showrunners for keeping everyone's motives murky, sometimes even to themselves. Not sure why only Baltar could see his angel, whereas everyone could see Kara Thrace, even though she was unclear as to what she was.

Adama's final choice, to sit alone on the hilltop (while Mosaic) was a little puzzling. Roslin's death was no surprise, and I'm curious why he decided to be a hermit.

So humanity decides to abandon its technology. New Caprica was kinda awful, so New Earth was better off without tech. Maybe after the results of their technological dependence was the near complete extinction of humanity, I can buy this, but not sure if the story earned it.

Wouldn't saber tooth tigers eat some of those people? I would have thought about keeping my technology. Achaelogists found Hera's body 150,000 years later--why didn't they find a Raptor part?

Why did Caprica Six turn good again? I can't remember. She was instrumental in the destruction of the colonies (and presumably didn't save Baltar--that was the angel version) and pretty ruthless. But now she's pretty and vulnerable and likes short guys. I am confused.

Who wrote the note about the 12 Cylons in Adama's quarters?

Was the final five thing just hokey? Thousands of years ago, five sentient cylons fled earth after creating resurrection and more cylons. They found human engineered cylons that looked like the ones from 1978 and then made a deal with them. But not the five--it was the other ones. Who were really bad, and then tricked the final five and got them to Caprica before they met the other ones (right, didn't Adama and Tigh meet during the cylon wars), then made them think they were human, and then they were not because of the Bob Dylan song. And the Indian one was really mean too. And Galen was just really depressed.

As I wrote before, I liked this show--I didn't give up on it, even though it took me the better part of a year to get through it. I think seeing it in that compressed fashion accentuated some of the plotting issues (see above), but made for real poignancy with some of the relationships--Adama and Roslin, Agathon and Athena, Tigh and Adama. It also highlighted the redundancy of some of it--I am sure that is part of the cinema veritae nature of the overall aesthetic, but it would have been nice to been able to know which episodes I could have skipped.

In retrospect, I wish the show had done more with:
  • The Cylon Civil War including more tension with the fleet in Season 4.
  • Giving Starbuck an overall character arc besides making her go crazy and turning her into an angel.
  • Fallout from Adama's coup, quitting the admiralty, rejoining the admiralty, etc.
  • Raising the stakes by killing off important characters.
  • Either explaining more about the whole old cylon/new cylon thing or ignoring it completely
  • Not having Lee Adama so inconsistent--or at least as a more well thought out idealist.
Otherwise, i liked very much the
  • Military and political context and culture
  • Roslin and Adama
  • space battles
  • a sense of urgency--everything seemed to put pressure on the survival of the human race.
  • Agathon.
  • The Boomer/Sharon/Athena characterizations
  • The insurgency
  • Doc Coddle
Probably lots more. But that's my summary thoughts.

#208 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,486 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

I started and stopped watching the first season of this 3 or 4 times. Eventually, I committed and made it up to settling on New Caprica, at which point it lost me. Now, I went back and finished it. Wow.

A few thoughts:

1. Of all the reviews and commentaries I've read, few have focused much on Chief Galen Tyrol. But he's probably the character I related to the most over the entire course of the series. And the conclusion of his storyline is, I'd argue, the most human of all the characters.

2. Dean Stockwell chewed up the scenery every time he appeared.

3. There should have been more of Mark Sheppard as Romo Lampkin.

4. There has been much praise heaped upon Breaking Bad as the show that really broke through the "reset" switch most television uses from episode to episode. I think BSG did just as good of a job a few years before.

5. It bumped Babylon 5 out of the top spot in my favorite "hard" sci-fi TV series ever.

Anna J wrote:
: Maybe I'm just not a fan of the "hey look, a really important secret plot point we didn't tell you about until just now" tactic.

Well, the "tactic" is just a way of trying to cover up the fact that they're just inventing things as they go along. Hence, e.g., when they revealed that one character was a Cylon, they suddenly had to explain why that character had a child, since Cylons Aren't Supposed To Be Able To Have Children, Which Is What Makes That *Other* Kid So Special. So they end up devoting an entire episode to revealing that the character's wife cheated on him at some mysterious point in the past, which further besmirches the character in question. And all because they wrote themselves into a corner.

As noted in point #1 above, that might have been a way to "write themselves out of a corner" but it sure connected and paid off to me. \

Oh, you sad little linear people.

What made this show special was precisely the way that it didn't know where it was going.

Mostly, I just wanted to quote Greg calling us sad little linear people.

Adama's final choice, to sit alone on the hilltop (while Mosaic) was a little puzzling. Roslin's death was no surprise, and I'm curious why he decided to be a hermit.

After literally carrying the weight of the world (haha) on his shoulders for so long, I think it makes perfect sense.

#209 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,486 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

I also want to say, and BSG is very fresh in my mind, but I can't think of another show or even film that gives us such essential role models for leadership as Adama and Roslin. In the face of emotional and system ridden guilt (Adama) and; physical and motivational challenges (Roslin) - these two characters fail, fall down, and keep not just picking themselves up, but leading.

I think this is an important and unique aspect to BSG.