• Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

--content deleted--

#2 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows Vista. I've been looking at some sites to determine compatibility and security issues with it. One thing I want to do is disable any processes that I won't use. Google desktop, for instance, is going out the window (no pun intended). Any advice on other standard Vista processes, Alan? Any that you would recommend I disable?

I've also heard good things about Kaspersky anti-virus. Would it be worth it to try? I hate McAfee.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,119 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

Alan, what's a reasonable price for the switch? I'm thinking of upgrading the laptop from XP...

#4 Ann D.

Ann D.

Skylarking Maggie, the Musical Thinker

• 579 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Jeffrey, everything I've read on Vista recommends a clean install, NOT an upgrade. I don't know how much it costs, though.

Alan, thanks! I didn't realize Google desktop was Toshiba's. I should have, but I'm tired.

Is Avast compatible with Vista? In looking around, it seemed as though the only AV products that would work is McAfee (yuck!), Symantec (eh), Tempo something (I think) and Kaspersky. I know I was warned off AVG as there isn't a driver yet available and would crash the system.

#5 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,831 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

My old PC's motherboard got fried about a month ago. Good thing I backed everything up in a Maxtor External Backup Drive.

Bought a new PC. Loaded with Vista by default.

My Maxtor External Backup software is currently incompatible with Vista.

Read that last sentence again.

Maxtor was also bought out, so there is very slow progress in actually providing a Vista-compatible download. The customer service representative has no estimated time of completion.

Good thing I backed up my stuff, eh? angry.gif

At least Vista looks nice.

Nick