Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Neat or slob

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: neat or slob (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How neat or cluttered is your desk?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,697 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

Pick the one that's closest for you.

#2 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

I'm a serious slob. I organize by pile and they don't always fall over. I compensate by being fastidious in the way I dress.

#3 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

I just got done spending the day cleaning the house with the kids, who seem to replace every item I put away with two that don't belong.

There's a place for everything, but it may or may not be there.

I do, however, fly into cleaning fits between once or twice a week, and I love the satisfaction of looking at an organized desk, studio, home, whatever, after I take care of putting things in their place.

There's not a whole lot else I can put into its place. Maybe organization draws from an unhealthy sense of power.

-s.

#4 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

I love an organized space. There is nothing like being able to get what you need when you need it. I have the gift of finding a way to put 5 lbs. of "crap" into a 2 lbs. bag and my space is usually organized. However, I tend to have too many things going on at once and it doesn't take long to be overwhelmed by highly organized piles of very important stuff.

Edited by Thom(asher), 02 March 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#5 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(Thom(asher) @ Mar 2 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post
I love an organized space. There is nothing like being able to get what you need when you need it. I have the gift of finding a way to put 5 lbs. of "crap" into a 2 lbs. bag and my space is usually organized. However, I tend to have too many things going on at once and it doesn't take long to be overwhelmed by highly organized piles of very important stuff.

I envy your skill. I can't do that. However, I have a detailed memory and can navigate those piles pretty well. I have the capacity to remember iminent pieces of a pile in more or less sequence. Drive's Dena nuts. The piles AND the sorting throught them efficiently.

#6 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

Some time ago, a blogger I read posted this quote, which my desk has adopted as its motto:

[T]hat untidiness which is dearer than any order, since it shows an infatuated interest in the universe which cannot spare one second for the mere mechanics of existence.
Rebecca West, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (1942)

Usually I'm able to find what I need when I need it, or eventually. Sometimes by the time I find it, it doesn't matter any more. I do have a filing system for things I KNOW I'll have to find quickly and easily.

#7 TexasSara

TexasSara

Apocalypse Einstein

• 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thus far, I'm apparently the worst slob to vote. Every so often I clean my desk and find all kinds of things I had forgotten I had. If I need to find something, I have a pretty good photographic memory as to where I put it. I'm rather grateful Will puts up with it.

#8 jcc

jcc

• 39 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

I find words from a mind brighter than mine of comfort, as I survey my desk:

"If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"
-- Albert Einstein

Cheers,

CLive