Photo

Film Club, Revived

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

Inspired by Darren’s suggestion, I thought I'd launch a new thread and toss out a suggestion.

I wonder if we might resurrect the A&F film club in honor of Andrew Sarris’ new column repeating his assertion—which long ago caused me to watch this film—that Max Ophuls’ “Madame de” is the greatest movie of all time.

I’d like an excuse to watch my Criterion laserdisc of this film, which I haven’t screened in six or seven years. I’m sure it’s available on DVD as well, no?

Who’s up for an A&F “film club” screening of “Madame de”? If you’re interested, let me know how available the title is, and how quickly you can watch it.

After a few days of feedback, I’ll post again with a suggested discussion start date.

#2 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

I would be up for a revival of the film club as I have a bit of extra time lately. However, if my libraries do not carry the title or cannot find them, I am not able to see it. I have actually found a few Max Ophuls' titles, unfortunately not Madam de.

#3 Christian

Christian

• 10,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

I should've checked DVD availability before posting. It looks like this is a difficult title to track down. In light of that, I say we nix the idea. I was keen on this particular film but am afraid I don't feel any enthusiasm for alternate titles. I could, depending on what those titles might be, but I was interested in "Madame de."

#4 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,852 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Mar 7 2007, 01:24 PM) View Post
I should've checked DVD availability before posting. It looks like this is a difficult title to track down. In light of that, I say we nix the idea. I was keen on this particular film but am afraid I don't feel any enthusiasm for alternate titles. I could, depending on what those titles might be, but I was interested in "Madame de."

and now the revival is over.

#5 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,684 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Thom(asher) @ Mar 7 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Christian @ Mar 7 2007, 01:24 PM) View Post

and now the revival is over.

Why does having a film club viewing nix the discussion? Can you just start a "Madame de" thread on the main page? Whenever I see some old film, that's what I end up doing. Occasionally a discussion happens (see the "Rififi" thread).

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

I'm gonna watch "Madame de" and discuss it with myself. ;-)