117 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,125 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

Oh yeah.

I loved All the Pretty Horses.

I had a hard time putting No Country for Old Men down, and lost a lot of sleep over it. Can't wait for the Coen Brothers' adaptation.

Now I'm hooked by The Road.

I hadn't even begun to think of who would be the right director, but I doubt I could come up with a more inspired choice than Hillcoat. His film The Proposition has the same rough, bleak, unforgiving quality.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet, 04 April 2007 - 10:51 PM.

#2 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

The Road is a stunning novel; one of the few I've wept over. (Interesting aside--it's the new Oprah book club pick!?)

I thought the tone of the novel would be hard to translate to the screen, but this seems like a fantastic choice in directors.

#3 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:49 PM

I just finished reading The Road while on vacation, and the whole time, I kept imagining how certain scenes might appear on the big screen. Hillcoat would make a fine choice as a director, and now Viggo Mortensen has said that the filmmakers are interested in him starring (presumably as the dad).

The full story...

#4 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

Fantastic.

So long as Elijah Wood doesn't play his son.

"Are you frightened?"

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet, 12 September 2007 - 01:22 PM.

#5 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,570 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Here's a terrifying, yet hilarious "what if" article. (WARNING - SOME GRAPHIC LANGUAGE IS INCLUDED HERE)

BRETT RATNER'S NOTES
FOR HIS FILM VERSION
OF THE ROAD BY
CORMAC MCCARTHY .

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 12 September 2007 - 07:04 PM.

#6 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Baal_T'shuvah @ Sep 12 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a terrifying, yet hilarious "what if" article. (WARNING - SOME GRAPHIC LANGUAGE IS INCLUDED HERE)

I don't know... smart sharks sound pretty awesome to me!

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,504 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Link to the thread on the book.

#8 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,504 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

Charlize Theron hits 'The Road'
Charlize Theron has signed on to join Viggo Mortensen in the bigscreen adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's bestselling novel "The Road" for 2929 Entertainment. . . . Theron, who will play the wife of Mortensen's character, will be seen mostly in flashback. Although the role is small, Theron joined the project because she's a big fan of the book -- published by Knopf in 2006 -- and was eager to reteam with producer Nick Wechsler, with whom she worked on 2000's "The Yards."
Variety, January 14

#9 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

The first image from the film has surfaced over at Twitch.

#10 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

Perfect.

#11 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:08 AM

Oh yeah, not only did I realize this was filming in nearby Pittsburgh (about 30 miles away), but I found out they were doing some shooting a few miles from my house, in the woods.

#12 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

A report from the set.

Robert Duvall's in this? Cool.

Edited by Overstreet, 26 May 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#13 Jeff Rioux

Jeff Rioux

• 164 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

I just finished reading this. Great work. It gave me bad dreams.

Like opus, I kept imagining how scenes would be filmed (knowing the film was in production). It'll be a very gray film. And Pittsburgh was a good choice of location for that reason, as it is gray and coal-stained.

That report that Jeffrey posted is exciting - sounds like the father-son chemistry will be great.

#14 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Jeff Rioux @ Jul 2 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like opus, I kept imagining how scenes would be filmed (knowing the film was in production). It'll be a very gray film. And Pittsburgh was a good choice of location for that reason, as it is gray and coal-stained.

It's sometimes gray, but it hasn't been coal-stained in years.

#15 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,570 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

A USA Today First Look at The Road, with a link to six more photos from the production.

QUOTE (USA Today)
Imagining the end of the world is not easy, especially if you're not going to create one with a computer. But director John Hillcoat and filmmakers of The Road believe they discovered it in Pittsburgh.

"It's a beautiful place in fall with the colors changing," Hillcoat says. "But in winter, it can be very bleak. There are city blocks that are abandoned. The woods can be brutal. We didn't want to go the CGI world."

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 07 August 2008 - 06:56 AM.

#16 livingeleven

livingeleven

• 67 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

I just finished this book. I started it once last year, immediately after reading Children of Men, and it was just depressing me too much as a follow-up. Got it from the library Monday, finished it nearly in one sitting. I am now looking forward even more to this. Viggo Mortensen was a great choice, too.

#17 Jacques

Jacques

• 129 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Baal_T'shuvah @ Aug 7 2008, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A USA Today First Look at The Road, with a link to six more photos from the production.

Startlingly so close to the semblance of certain passages in the book , is it just me or do these stills make one feel bit jacked up and speedy .... i mention this not to be clever... nor liken the feeling to passing it off as fanboy anticipation and concern for accuracy in so honoring the text ... but something more... Indeed having been likewise purifed so by the refining fire of McCarthy's book ... i cant help but feel some sort of weird tension... felt not since the experiencing the film " The Passion." I dont know whether to honestly cheer about this or somberly go back in the house and fill all my bathtubs up with water...and kiss my baby boy

the look or better gaze... in the eyes of all these great actors there in the stills recall the poem by Rilke called The Panther ... these stills shares a common gaze... both allude to the same tension of the primordial tooth and claw of nature...versus the true, the good, and beauty of humanity enduring so in the father and his Son in one word family... while the worlds on fire. The nature vs man theme used as it was in the McCarthy's earlier work the Crossing...of a boy and a wolf might be more applicable to the poem... yet i still think it resonates here in the gaze of all the stills .. and because of this it seems Hillcoat looks like he is gonna deliver more than just the goods, in something exceeding a simple cineplex viewing experience... but something akin and along the lines of a 2 hr witnessing ...a beholding if u will... for much like the pieta in the end of the Passion the images here gaze literally back at and into....me the viewer....and a reciprocal event occurs...and the movement reverberates and grows.. as it did for a beleiver, a poet, the dir. Hillcoat or in this case Scott Bowles. Thanks Baal T'shuvah for this update...the hope grows...and the tension as well, embraced.

#18 livingeleven

livingeleven

• 67 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

I got to look at the USA Today article and the pictures. I experienced a mix of excitement, surprise, and perhaps sardonic amusement. The pictures look like what was in my head while I read the book-- pretty much exactly. I'm so very glad that they've found a place where they can film and capture such a sense of desperation and hopelessness.

I live near the Pittsburgh area, however, and snickered when I read the comments about how "perfect" the area is, followed immediately by a twinge of remorse. For all the area's attempts to rebolster and revive their area, despite the amazing Robinson Town Center shopping district, the International Airport, the wonderful Carnegie Science Museum and the Zoo, this is pretty much Pittsburgh, for really. Dead steel town and whatnot. I read some of the comments from the article to coworkers, who were laughing and nodding in agreement.

It's funny; despite all the publicity they're getting, is it really a good thing that the deadness and despondency of their area is being pointed out?

I guess sometimes, any news is good news...

(The Pirates need all the help they can get.)

#19 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Oh, you're a Pittsburgher too, livingeleven? Me too.

I was also grumbling over the comments, but maybe for a slightly different reason. I realize Pittsburgh isn't well off, but it's far from the scuzzy, smog-filled wasteland it was 25 years ago. The burgeoning arts movement in the city is insanely impressive, and honestly I'm always wowed by the city's little thing: the view from Mt. Washington, the view of the rivers, the ethnic bustle of the Strip District.

That said, the area is far from perfect, and the commenters on the article should realize that not only does Hillcoat praise the city's beauty in a few spots, but also brought money into the city! Wow! Why is that BAD?

#20 Lance McLain

Lance McLain

• 137 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

Release date 11/26. I guess I know what I'm going to be doing after Thanksgiving.