Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

What a trainwreck.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they can get 60 Minutes to do a follow-up segment?

Epic trainwreck. They should rewrite the book Not Since Carrie just to include this, and retitle it Not Since Spider-Man.

#42 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hoo boy.

http://www.myfoxny.c...er-man-20101220

#43 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,060 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

:(

#44 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

He's said to have cracked or broken ribs and possible internal bleeding, but word on the BroadwayWorld forums is that he's awake, talking, and in good spirits. Thank God it wasn't worse. I also read that they're putting new safety protocols in place -- hope they're thorough about it!!

#45 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

You'd think Spider-Man of all people would perform with a net.

#46 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,640 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

The woes just keep on coming.

Injured Lead Actress Leaves Broadway's 'Spider-Man'

And if that weren't bad enough, a couple of critics have come out with reviews of the previews, which is kind of a taboo line to cross. The early reports are not too good.

Angry Reaction as Theater Critics Cross the Line on 'Spider-Man'

This past weekend theater insiders were surprised when two critics, Jeremy Gerard of Bloomberg News and Linda Winer of Newsday, crossed an unspoken line and published their takes on Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, more than five weeks before opening night on February 7th....

... Her (Winer) piece was less a review than a report, though she did acknowledge that the show’s vaunted flying effects are “exciting and scary, in a circus way,” and that director Julie Taymor was “said to be making much-needed changes to the meandering book, especially in the weak second act.” The rest of the criticism came from audience members Winer interviewed, one of whom complained the music was “weak” and another who said she “didn’t think this is theater for adults.”

... He (Gerard) praised the sets, lighting and choreography, acknowledged the short-lived thrill of some of the flying effects, but came down hard on the show itself: “an unfocused hodge-podge of story-telling, myth-making and spectacle that comes up short in every department. Can it be saved? Ask me on Feb. 8.”

#47 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,304 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

This week's New Yorker cover.

Edited by Overstreet, 10 January 2011 - 01:41 PM.

#48 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,825 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Doesn't load.

#49 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,304 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Fixed.

(For some reason, I am having trouble posting image links on A&F. When I do, all I see is a link, not an image.)

#50 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

A friend of mine saw this this over the holidays with his son. Pretty much what you'd expect: Cool staging, U2-ish music, a bit juvenile, with an unsatisfying ending. He say the new villain introduced was metaphysical.

#51 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,060 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

FWIW, Glenn Beck -- who apparently sees a lot of Broadway shows -- has been raving about how mind-blowingly brilliant this show is.

#52 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,640 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

The cover of this weeks The New Yorker.

Posted Image

#53 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,304 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

As usual, U2 has invited Steve Lillywhite to the project.

#54 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

This week's New Yorker cover.

Ouch!

#55 Christian

Christian

• 10,900 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

The Washington Post ran a negative review this morning. ("Taymor has found a way to send her superhero soaring above the audience. And yet, the creature that most often spreads its wings in the Foxwoods is a turkey.")

I'm currently going through the New York Times review, which calls the show "not only the most expensive musical ever to hit Broadway" but "among the worst," and "so grievously broken in every respect that it is beyond repair."

But I hear Glenn Beck loves it and has seen it four times. (I'm not a Beck-hater, but I know others on this board are.)

And yet ... the public fascination with this musical has me wondering if it might be a hit. The tone of those reviews -- one of the "worst" musicals of all time -- would kill any other high-profile show. But have the audiences agreed? From what I've heard, some who have seen the show really dig it.

#56 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

For SPIDER-MAN: THE MUSICAL to be a "hit" and recoup its losses, it would have to be a hit unlike any other. Somehow, I don't see this being the new PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Even if it doesn't tank right off the bat, will it have the legs that it really needs?

#57 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,264 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

For SPIDER-MAN: THE MUSICAL to be a "hit" and recoup its losses, it would have to be a hit unlike any other. Somehow, I don't see this being the new PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

What about Springtime for Hitler?

#58 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

The Washington Post ran a negative review this morning. ("Taymor has found a way to send her superhero soaring above the audience. And yet, the creature that most often spreads its wings in the Foxwoods is a turkey.")

That was the same line that caught my eye. Yowch!

I think some people are going to see it for the trainwreck value. But I doubt there are enough trainwreck fans to make it a hit.

#59 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

More bad reviews.

#60 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,640 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

According to the New York Times, the March 15th opening is canceled - performances will be shut down for two to three weeks of script and music retooling - and the opening is being pushed back to June.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 09 March 2011 - 12:39 AM.