Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,456 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

Can she do on stage for super heroes what she did on stage for disney animation? Read all about it here!

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 25 February 2009 - 12:48 AM.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,890 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

Spider-Man. Spiderman. There, now the search engine will find it.

FWIW, as I mentioned at my blog last week, I believe the connection between U2 and Julie Taymor goes back at least to 1995, when Taymor's husband Elliot Goldenthal wrote the music for Batman Forever and U2 contributed 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me'. According to the IMDb, Bono also plays "Dr. Robert" in Taymor's upcoming film Across the Universe.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,808 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

I reported this on my blog, and someone responded that the news was an April Fool's Day joke. But no... the news keeps spreading, and I haven't seen any denials from anybody's camp yet.

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,438 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

Dang. I was hoping she'd stay in film.

-s.

#5 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,456 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (Yahoo News)
Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, the hyped stage musical directed by Julie Taymor (The Lion King) with music and lyrics courtesy of U2's Bono and The Edge, will kick off what its producers hope will be an amazing run along the Great White Way beginning with previews on Jan. 16, 2010, and a Feb. 18, 2010, opening night.

Story here.

#6 Gina

Gina

• 365 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Is it just me, or is that the biggest mismatch between title and subtitle in history?

#7 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,456 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:16 AM

It's an uninspired title... kinda like last years X-Files: I Want to Believe. That title did as much for me as if they'd titled it X-Files: I Can Feel My Butt Getting Numb Already.

#8 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

The Times:
Proof that Bono is not infallible: Evan Rachel Wood is due to play Mary Jane Watson in the Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, scored by the U2 frontman and his compatriot, The Edge. But Ms Wood felt she had to intervene when the boys played her their gloomy tunes. I was like, Bono, I know you want to save the world and everything, but in this song youre talking about poverty and world hunger and its Broadway. Can we lighten this up a bit, can I just not sing this? He was like, Youre right, I know, we have to try, we have to try.
Too gloomy? This, from the woman who recently dated Marilyn Manson?

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

'Spider-Man' musical halted?
Should Broadway's Spidey sense be tingling?
Rumors have spread among legiters that the production sked for incoming mega-musical "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark" may be threatened.
The extensive work being done to prep for the technically demanding show, both in the shop constructing the physical production and in the theater where "Spider-Man" is due to bow, is said to have stopped this week. . . .
Variety, August 6

#10 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

BREAKING: 'Spider-Man' Musical Producers Confirm Production Suspended, Insist Show Will Debut In February
According to New York Post columnist Michael Riedel, Spidey's Broadway debut is quickly turning into a production nightmare, with production halted, actors released from their contracts and ticket agents scrambling to work out refunds for early ticket-buyers.
MTV Splash Page, August 12

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

'Spider-Man' to face his future
Producers of beleaguered tuner "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark" will meet in Gotham today about the fate of the production, just as estimates of the show's ballooning budget have hit a new height.
The major players who will attend the meeting -- both producers and creatives -- might emerge with a concrete decision about the timeline for the mega-budget musical.
Or they may not. . . .
Variety, November 5

#12 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

Spider-Man musical finds leading arachnid
Rock singer Reeve Carney to star in 'Turn Off the Dark'
Associated Press, November 6

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

Evan Rachel Wood exits 'Spider-Man'
Evan Rachel Wood has dropped out of the Broadway tuner "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark," which the rumor mill says is gearing up to begin its much-delayed preview period in late summer ahead of an official opening sometime around Halloween.
Producers of "Spider-Man," in which Wood would have played Mary Jane opposite Reeve Carney as Peter Parker and Alan Cumming as the Green Goblin, would not confirm new dates for the production, but did acknowledge that Wood has exited. . . .
Variety, March 9

#14 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,456 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

When is the title going to change to Spider-Man: Turn Out the Lights? This may be the biggest Broadway debacle to feature a big name musical act since the three month run of Paul Simon's The Capeman (although I must admit to enjoying quite a lot of the music from Songs from The Capeman). Between this and Andrew Lloyd Weber's Love Never Dies, it's going to be quite exciting to see which productions shuts down first.

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:24 AM

Spider Man Broadway Show Promised for Fall (Or Winter)
“Spider Man: Turn off the Dark” is coming. Really. This fall.
Original producer David Garfinkle tells me the $45 million Julie Taymor-U2 extravaganza has its money in place. There will be announcements shortly concerning a schedule and a replacement for Evan Rachel Wood, who bowed out of the part of Mary Jane. . . .
Roger Friedman, April 6

#16 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,456 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

Spider Man Broadway Show Promised for Fall (Or Winter)
“Spider Man: Turn off the Dark” is coming. Really. This fall.
Original producer David Garfinkle tells me the $45 million Julie Taymor-U2 extravaganza has its money in place. There will be announcements shortly concerning a schedule and a replacement for Evan Rachel Wood, who bowed out of the part of Mary Jane. . . .
Roger Friedman, April 6

I hear Kirsten Dunst has freed up some time in her schedule.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 07 April 2010 - 08:40 AM.

#17 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

And now Alan Cumming has left the show, too.

#18 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,890 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Broadway's 'Spider-Man' musical gets a December opening date
The production, directed by Julie Taymor and featuring music by Bono and the Edge, will begin preview performances at the newly renamed Foxwoods Theatre (formerly the Hilton Theatre) on Nov. 14 and will open on Dec. 21. . . .
Tickets for "Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark" are set to go on sale to the general public in September, but no specific date was given. . . .
The cast is scheduled to begin full rehearsals on Aug. 16. . . .
Los Angeles Times, August 10

#19 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,242 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hm. So we actually have a release date now.

I have a very, very hard time imagining this being any good.

#20 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,622 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

And now Alan Cumming has left the show, too.

So, Cumming is going?
Sorry. Sorry.