What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Please log in to reply
1567 replies to this topic

#821 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Saw Lost in Translation last night (and I mean night), and saw a double-feature today: Le Havre and The Gold Rush (both in theaters).

#822 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ever since I started watching The Wire box set I got for Christmas, that's been taking up much of my weekend viewing. I am hoping to squeeze in a viewing of Drive soon.

#823 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,844 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Can't believe I let over a week go by without catching anything in a theatre. But finally, yesterday, I went into town and caught three of the twelve Oscar-nominated feature-length films that I had not yet seen (Albert Nobbs, Monsieur Lazhar, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close). That leaves just nine films that I have not yet seen, three of which I can see on video and at least one of which opens in Vancouver next week.

Now all I have to do is get back up-to-speed on current releases; I haven't seen any of this week's new wide releases, nor most (if any) of last week's.

#824 Jim_L

Jim_L

• 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

A little late, but watched Groundhog Day in celebration of Groundhog Day.

#825 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,887 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hey all, it's worth taking the time to see latest Castle noir episode, The Blue Butterfly.

#826 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 246 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

Tonight we're going to give Tarkovsky's The Mirror a try. It's a VHS copy, though, which is disappointing. Also, didn't get a chance to see A Separation last week (or Pina for that matter), so hopefully we'll have time to do that this weekend too.

#827 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,260 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Andrew, I'm so jealous that you're about to watch Mirror for the first time. Most days it's my all-time favorite film. I wish you had a better copy of it, though.

I've got two more Bunuel films coming from Netflix, Susana and A Woman Without Love, both from 1951.

#828 Christian

Christian

• 10,465 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Andrew, I'm so jealous that you're about to watch Mirror for the first time. Most days it's my all-time favorite film. I wish you had a better copy of it, though.

I've got two more Bunuel films coming from Netflix, Susana and A Woman Without Love, both from 1951.

Darren, or anyone else: Have you seen much Fassbinder? I've never seen anything by him. A couple years ago, I was prepped to see Ali: Fear Eats the Soul at the Virginia Film Festival, but ended up not attending that year. I just came across the Criterion DVD at the library and grabbed it, but now am not sure what I'm about to get into. I'll just dive in, assuming I actually DO watch the DVD this weekend, but if anyone has any guidance for a Fassbinder newbie, I'm all ears (and eyes).

EDIT: Turns out I've already asked about this film, which Darren hadn't seen at the time but which Michael had.

Edited by Christian, 10 February 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#829 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,556 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

On the slate for the weekend:

Win Win
Inglorious Basterds
Metropolitan

My first time for any of these.

#830 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,842 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hopefully I'll be catching TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY this weekend at our local theatre. I'll probably watch HAPPY TOGETHER on Blu-ray tonight (which will only leave FALLEN ANGELS and AS TEARS GO BY on my Wong Kar-wai to-see list). Also, need to re-watch Moufida Tlatli's moving THE SILENCES OF THE PALACE for a seminar next week. It was the first feature film directed by a woman in the Arab world, and takes on all the more relevance in a post-Arab Spring world, as it deals with abuse and cultural silence during the time of Tunisia's independence from France. Anyone else seen it?

#831 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,428 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

In Time and Haywire.

I'd like to get to The Artist as well... We'll see about that.

Last night I started making plans for Chicago's 15th Annual EUFF (A&F thread Here), and I will spend a few hours this weekend researching the films and making plans. It looks like I'll be able to pull it off again this year, which is kinda turning into my annual vacation. (weekends only, but not a bad vacation at all.) There's some good stuff showing this year, but what I found most appealing was the weekend of the 23rd. The Music Box is showing The Kid with a Bike, which isn't a part of EUFF but I'll definitely be heading over there on that Friday night - and on that same weekend we have Hors Satan (Dumont), Alps ("Dogtooth" Lanthimos), Andrea Arnold's Wuthering Heights and a film called The Maiden Danced to Death, which looks delightful. :)

Edited by Persona, 10 February 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#832 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,571 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

A Better Life comes from Netflix tomorrow. Then we'll probably go see Loud/Close and at that point we'll have had all the key Oscar noms. A couple my wife saw without me, but I'll live. Still haven't got to The Mill and the Cross for my 2nd viewing and wife's 1st. Maybe after dinner tonight.

#833 Anders

Anders

• 2,842 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Ended up watching Otto Preminger's ANATOMY OF A MURDER last night instead. Pretty great stuff. Might get to HAPPY TOGETHER tonight since the weather and sickness has put a wrench in our plans with another family.

#834 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Saw Drive last night. Since it looks like I will be able to get to a theater this weekend, am hoping to see Pina and A Dangerous Method.

Edited by Crow, 11 February 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#835 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,448 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Tomorrow a double feature at the New Beverly Cinema (quickly becoming my favorite theatre) - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Punch-Drunk Love.

#836 Jim_L

Jim_L

• 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

This weekend, its pure entertainment from Shaw Brothers...

Lau Kar-Leung's Mad Monkey Kung-Fu - starring Lau Kar-leung, Hsiao Ho and Lo Lieh in Mandarin w/English subtitles.

Chang Cheh's Golden Swallow - starring Cheng Pei-pei, Jimmy Wang and Lo Lieh in Mandarin w/English subtitles.

Edited by Jim_L, 11 February 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#837 Anders

Anders

• 2,842 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hopefully I'll be catching TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY this weekend at our local theatre. I'll probably watch HAPPY TOGETHER on Blu-ray tonight (which will only leave FALLEN ANGELS and AS TEARS GO BY on my Wong Kar-wai to-see list). Also, need to re-watch Moufida Tlatli's moving THE SILENCES OF THE PALACE for a seminar next week. It was the first feature film directed by a woman in the Arab world, and takes on all the more relevance in a post-Arab Spring world, as it deals with abuse and cultural silence during the time of Tunisia's independence from France. Anyone else seen it?

Wow, I actually got around to watching what I said I would. Must have been a slow weekend on all other fronts.

#838 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,227 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Wow, I actually got around to watching what I said I would. Must have been a slow weekend on all other fronts.

Sounds like a very fine weekend for movies.

Wish I'd gotten around to watching something (A DANGEROUS METHOD was originally penciled in for Saturday night), but alas, time got away from me.

#839 Anders

Anders

• 2,842 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Sounds like a very fine weekend for movies.

It was. Especially getting around to watching Preminger's ANATOMY OF A MURDER on Friday night, which was fantastic.

#840 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,556 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Same here, Anders. Normally when I post here, it's just wishful thinking. This time, I managed to knock down all three movies I planned to watch (with a fair bit of reading and TV in between).