• 1,117 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday

#922 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Saturday at the monthly Something Old/Something New Celebration of Classics and Modern Cinema (where they pair two films which share a similar theme) - John Frakenheimer's Seconds (1966) and John Woo's Face/Off (1997)... and no, the similarity between the two isn't that both are directed by guys named John.

#923 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

SECONDS and FACE/OFF? I'd love to see that double feature.

For me, it's probably going to be THE AVENGERS, more out of obligation than genuine desire.

#924 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,683 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

After a week of film festival, maybe I can just sit outside and watch the world.

#925 Judo Chop

Judo Chop

• 117 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Friday night will likely be Toy Story with my daughter. I'm excited. For one, I actually haven't seen the film yet. For two, my girl makes a great movie-watching partner. She stops to ask only pertinent questions, and she is often visibly affected by moment of tension and suspense. Nothing makes her angrier than when Prince Phillip is ambushed by Maleficent and her goblins at Aurora's cottage in Sleeping Beauty. And few things make me happier than to see that. :)

#926 Christian

Christian

• 10,900 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

If my daughter's fever breaks, I'll be seeing "Margaret" tomorrow night. If not, then I won't be. In case that wasn't clear.

#927 Christian

Christian

• 10,900 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm off work tomorrow for a long weekend, so I'm jumping the gun to report that my "weekend" viewing tonight will be "The Guard."

#928 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,640 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

Perhaps Bertolucci's 1900 tomorrow. Got to see if I can gear myself up for a 317 minute film.

#929 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,683 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

The Avengers (probably in 2D). Have Quantum of Silence from Netflix.

#930 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Have Quantum of Silence from Netflix.

Is that the silent film version of QUANTUM OF SOLACE?

#931 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,186 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Probably 'Aguirre: Wrath of God' at home, and 'The Dictator' on the big screen.

#932 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,640 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Eraserhead and The Elephant Man tomorrow. Might actually catch The Avengers sometime this weekend. Considering all that May has going for it, it's been my slowest month so far for viewing movies. Gonna try and catch Blue Velvet and The Straight Story on Sunday.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 02 June 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#933 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,352 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

I've begun working my way through Jean Renoir, so during the long weekend I hope to watch Nana for the first time and to revisit Boudu Saved from Drowning. I also have Fincher's Dragon Tattoo but can't say I'm really excited about watching it.

#934 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Definitely re-watching Secret Sunshine at some point, since that's what I'm going to write about next for Relevant, but also, if there's time, the original Alien, which I'm ashamed to say I've never seen. We also need to catch up on last week's Mad Men.

#935 Christian

Christian

• 10,900 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Still Walking
Nostalgia for the Light
Submarino

#936 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,640 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Continuing with the David Lynch retrospective tonight with Inland Empire and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. Unfortunately missed Wed. and Thur's. showing of Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr.

#937 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,683 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Going to The Intouchables tomorrow.

#938 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,264 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

I watched Lunopolis last night. It's an aliens/alternate dimensions/massive conspiracy/end of the world movie, and a pretty good one. It's structured as a faux documentary, which makes the heavy exposition scenes halfway through a bit easier to take. It was made by Matthew Avant, and judging by the credits, it was a passion project on the order of Primer. He (and his family) did pretty much everything for it, and it's the only movie most of the actors have appeared in. The documentary style ends up hiding some of the budget/production limitations.

#939 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,944 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

Started "Into the Wild" this evening. At about 25 minutes in we are quite enjoying it. Hope to finish it Sunday night.

Edited by Attica, 03 June 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#940 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,640 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Only managed to see Inland Empire. Staying for Twin Peaks would have got me home around 3am, and after this past week of moving our shop to a new location, 3am seemed daunting. Which is too bad, because when they showed the trailer for TP just before IE, I really got a jolt of affection for those characters. I was one of those viewers who really didn't give this film a fair shake when it originally came out, and I'm intrigued to watch it again on its own terms, seperate from the series.