What I'm Watching This Weekend

• Please log in to reply
1691 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Rocky Balboa

I think that's it. I'll probably watch it tonight.

Do we already have a dedicated thread for this topic?

#2 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Apr 27 2007, 01:34 PM) View Post

I'm confused. Is the topic Rocky Balboa or is the topic what you're watching this weekend?

-s.

#3 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(stef @ Apr 27 2007, 04:20 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Christian @ Apr 27 2007, 01:34 PM) View Post

I'm confused. Is the topic Rocky Balboa or is the topic what you're watching this weekend?

-s.

Leave it me to screw up something that should've been easy.

Rocky Balboa is the answer to the question of the thread title. I was hoping others would chime in with their own weekend-viewing plans.

I remembered a long-dead thread in which critics mentioned which films they had been assigned to see in the coming week and had through we might already have a comparable thread for the idea I was getting at.

So, Stef: What's on tap for viewing in the Great Lakes state this weekend?

Edited by Christian, 27 April 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:53 PM

Do they call this place the "Great Lakes State?" Cool.

Well, I am out the door in 5 minutes to go back to Chicagoland. The church there has had a hard time finding someone to replace me, so I go back about every other weekend to help them out. (I don't have a job yet, they don't have a replacement yet, we're all friends and we like to help each other out...) Some weeks I take the wife and kids to see the Grandparents too, and this weekend is one of those.

We won't be watching any movies, unfortunately, but I hope to listen to lots of music. And I hope the kids don't whine the whole way there. We are picking up suckers. Suckers help.

-s.

#5 MrZoom

MrZoom

• 114 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

I plan to watch the first two Spider-Man films, in preparation for chapter 3 next Friday night. I got advance tickets for me and a friend for $3 each because I'm a reservist at my local comic book shop. Well, actually, they're generic passes, but the comic shop has reserved a block of seats for the 7:00 PM screening next Friday.

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

I had heard that Rocky Balboa was pretty good, a crowd-pleasing comeback for the franchise.

I thought it was very weak. Wish I had something positive to say, but nothing comes to mind.

As for today, my plans are shot. One daughter was sick Thursday, got better yesterday, but now the other daughter is down for the count, scuttling our plans to visit the grandparents and run some errands.

There's always the lawn to mow and trim.

And Micah just woke up. Time to give him a bottle.

#7 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,675 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

Saw Jindabyne yesterday. Maybe megaplex today for Fracture or Hoax. Maybe Black Book tomorrow.

#8 J.R.

J.R.

• 235 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

I watched Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! on TCM's underground.

Edited by J.R., 28 April 2007 - 01:33 PM.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,785 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

The Invisible last night (cuz I have to review it).

The usual kids' videos today, during the day, peppered with excerpts from that Sigmund Freud vs. C.S. Lewis PBS video.

Doubt I'll get to watch anything tomorrow. But I really WOULD like to re-watch the first two Spider-Man movies, in anticipation of Monday night's preview of the third film.

#10 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,266 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

Darrel, I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on Jindabyne. My review's going up at CT soon.

The Taste of Tea is showing here now, but I've got an overcrowded weekend, so I doubt I'll get out to see it.

I'm also curious about Diggers.

Wait Until Dark, one of my favorite Audrey Hepburn films, is showing at midnight at the Egyptian. Tempting....

Most likely I'll skip the big screen and stay home to watch The Wind Will Carry Us, from Netflix, if I find two open hours before I go back to the office on Monday. I also checked out the original The Day the Earth Stood Still from the library, and I may watch that for the first time. It'll depend on how tired I am. I have to feel wide awake and sharp to take on Kiarostami, but I imagine the latter makes for a good late-night selection when I have little or nothing left.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet, 28 April 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#11 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Saw The Wind That Shakes the Barley last night. Going to see Fracture tonight.

#12 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,856 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Captain Blood (1935). Now them's what I calls pirates of the Caribbean. Arr--except I don't recall any of them actually saying that. One of the pirates quotes scripture at irregular intervals, having been a former Puritan minister. I discovered that this was Errol Flynn's first Hollywood starring role, and Olivia DeHavilland's. I'm not sure he was ever better than this.

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,785 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

BethR wrote:
: I discovered that this was Errol Flynn's first Hollywood starring role, and Olivia DeHavilland's. I'm not sure he was ever better than this.

It's been so long since I saw Captain Blood, I can't comment on Errol Flynn's performance per se, but I DO think the script serves him better in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), a film that has many of the same elements as Captain Blood (de Havilland, a swordfight with Basil Rathbone, etc.). Both films have scenes in which de Havilland says, "You speak treason!" If memory serves, in Captain Blood, Flynn replies, "Oh I hope I'm not obscure." But in Robin Hood, he merely says, "Fluently." Less is definitely more.

#14 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

Planning to watch Adam's Apples tonight. Watched The Banquet on Friday night. This bit of awesomeness arrived recently, so I hope to be working through that for many weekends to come.

#15 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(theoddone33 @ Apr 29 2007, 09:12 PM) View Post
Planning to watch Adam's Apples tonight. Watched The Banquet on Friday night. This bit of awesomeness arrived recently, so I hope to be working through that for many weekends to come.

How was The Banquet? I was hoping to catch it in Toronto last year, but it played after we left.

#16 Jeff Kolb

Jeff Kolb

Existential Interpersonal Benevolant Ruler

• 446 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

Wallace and Gromit: A Close Shave

Classic.

#17 theoddone33

theoddone33

• 763 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(opus @ Apr 29 2007, 09:09 PM) View Post
How was The Banquet? I was hoping to catch it in Toronto last year, but it played after we left.

Answered here.

#18 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

I've got a backlog of titles right now. The only sure bet is 28 Days Later, which I've seen before but want to watch again before the sequel screens next week. Also in the stack:

Flags of Our Fathers
Out of the Past
Anytown USA
Children of Men
3 Women

Anatomy of a Murder (watched most of this last weekend, but fell asleep; would like to rewind the tape and watch it again from the beginning)
Shaun of the Dead

COM and Flags are due back soon, so I may prioritize those. However, I've seen both before, in the theater, and so may opt for a title I've not yet seen.

Edited by Christian, 04 May 2007 - 12:37 PM.

#19 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

If I see anything this weekend, it'll be The Host (finally) during a late, late show at the $3 theater.

#20 Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs

Cinerama List

• 391 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

I'll be watching Following Sean --

Netflix "At A Glance":

In 1969, writer-director Ralph Arlyck filmed an intimate conversation with 4-year-old Sean Farrell -- the son of free-spirited parents living in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district -- who talked openly about smoking marijuana and walking among speed freaks. Revisiting his subject 30 years later, Arlyck finds a much-changed man with thoughtful reflections about his childhood, his parents and the contradictions of the 1960s.