...which brings to mind ROXANNE.

#22 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:04 PM

Cyrano de Bergerac.

...which brings to mind ROXANNE.

I SECOND ROXANNE!!! One of the most joyous modern romantic comedies... ever!! Fred Schescpie's best.

Nick

#23 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,996 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:06 PM

Roxanne is a fun flick... but my predecessor at the Register already did it.

Has anyone seen both / either the 1990 or the 1950 Cyrano? Any specific comments?

Crossing Delancey
Haven't seen this one yet, but it looks like a possibility. (The U.S. bishops OFB reports some nonmarital sex and "rough language" which I believe is code language for the F-word, but it sounds restrained enough to be worth a look.)

#24 Spike

Spike

• New User
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:18 PM

This was mentioned briefly but deserves another mention: 'The Road Home' is a sweet, simple, beautiful PG love story from China.
Also, 'Bram Stokers Dracula' is terribly romantic.
And 'Solaris' is tragically romantic.
'As good as it gets'
And don't hurt me for saying this, "Serendipity'.
'Titanic'
Baz'z 'Romeo and Juliet'
'Happenstance'

#25 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:20 PM

Haven't seen the 1950 Cyrano. The 1990 Depardieu version is the one I was thinking of -- a stunning film and romantic to the nth degree. Can't think of anything offensive about it, other than that it's in French and I don't know how well your group will handle subtitles. I will admit I first thought of Roxanne , which is a sweet film with only a couple of embarrassing bits (e.g., "Can I fluff your pillows?") -- but it doesn't hold a candle to the real thing.

I remember liking Crossing Delancey a good deal.

#26 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,151 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:33 PM

Ditto Mrmando's comments on the 1990 Cyrano, one of my all-time favorite films. (I was wondering recently if this most favored film status had something to do with the fact that my wife and I saw it thrice in the cinema shortly after our honeymoon, when a romantic film such as this would have resonated most strongly - thus I was happy to see that 'Cyrano' received a 100% from Rotten Tomatoes).

Anyway, it's got nothing offensive from a nudity, premarital sex, or language standpoint; plus the violence is handled discreetly - it has much about duty and honor within it, as a matter of fact. Gorgeously filmed, with witty subtitles by Anthony Burgess, to boot.

#27 SDG

SDG

• 8,996 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:36 PM

Oh, heck, I hit my readers over the head with foreign/subtitled stuff and silent film on a regular basis. There are only so many constraints I can work under! smile.gif

Not that I usually get very esoteric or artsy... I did do Russian Ark last week, and The Son was #2 on my Top 10 list this year.

In the past I've done I'm Going Home, Grave of the Fireflies, and Good Morning.

I will check out the 1990 Cyrano. Thanks.

#28 Alvy

Alvy

Musical Thinker

• New User
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:42 PM

I second Il Postino.

And did anyone mention As Good As It Gets?

#29 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,190 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:46 PM

: The phone sex scene alone would probably disqualify it.

Yeah, I thought so, but that's got to be more tolerablethan all the scenes of the naked dancer inside the sex shop in Amelie

Matt

#30 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:04 PM

In the Mood For Love

I'd also recommend Chunking Express for something a bit more offbeat.

Some other faves...

The Road Home
My Sassy Girl
Il Mare

#31 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:31 AM

Oddball love stories I enjoy:
Rushmore
Vertigo
The Princess Bride
Punch-Drunk Love
Donnie Darko
- There are some elements that turn it into a romantic-esque story.

Life is Beautiful has a wonderful romantic story in the beginning.

#32 LoneTomato

LoneTomato

• 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:05 AM

Before Sunrise is an amazing, amazing, amazing movie.

Say Anything is probably my favorite movie of all time (for sentimental reasons - Magnolia is my all time favorite for cinematic reasons).

The Road Home, a very beautiful movie, highly recommended

It's not out on DVD but it's in theatres, how about Big Fish? That scene with the daffodils . . . oh my, I'm tearing up again . . .

One of the three intersecting story lines of Three Seasons is a very touching love story, well romantic love anyway. All three stories are about love on some level. Hard to find though.

Oh, and why not throw in Fatal Attraction as counterpoint - comic relief for us singles.

#33 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:03 AM

One of the three intersecting story lines of Three Seasons is a very touching love story, well romantic love anyway. All three stories are about love on some level. Hard to find though.

Ah yes... beautiful film. I'd love to see this on DVD. I've only seen it on low quality VHS, which just not do justice to the visuals.

#34 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:13 PM

What about They Might Be Giants (1971)? Now available on DVD.

NO sex, but romantic in every way. Fabulous performances by George C. Scott as judge who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes and by Joanne Woodward as a psychiatrist, Dr. Mildred Watson (such a coincidence!) who's called in to cure him, but finds him and his quest to unmask the evil "Moriarty" much more compelling. Filmed entirely on location in NYC, ridiculous food fight in grocery store, and catch young F. Murray Abraham in brief appearance as movie usher. Script by James Goldman, who wrote The Lion in Winter. Great score, too.

#35 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,925 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:54 PM

I'm gonna second the nomination for Baz's Romeo + Juliet because although it is an adolescant and immature love, it does have many fantastically romantic elements too it (and the characters don't jump in the sack until they are married by the priest either so that may help you).

Or if the Baz R+J isn't your thing, you could do the Zeffirelli film from 1968 with Olivia Hussey (if my memory serves correctly it does have some brief nudity, though it was tame enough for us to watch in my grade ten English class).

I'm kinda on a R+J kick right now cuz we're studying it in my university english class right now, and let me tell you it's an interesting contrast to Titus Andronicus which we just finished.

On the Shakespeare side, a film version of Midsummer's Night Dream or Much Ado About Nothing would probably be a good choice.

#36 mrmando

mrmando

• 3,636 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:14 PM

On the Shakespeare side, a film version of Midsummer's Night Dream or Much Ado About Nothing would probably be a good choice.

Highly recommend the Kenneth Branagh Much Ado. The Michael Hoffman Midsummer, not so much--David Strathairn and Sophie Marceau have some chemistry as Theseus and Hippolyta, but the young lovers have none. Calista Flockhart can't even get her lines straight; Kevin Kline and Bill Irwin are all but wasted in their comic roles. I am, however, a big sucker for the Trevor Nunn Twelfth Night.

#37 mrmando

mrmando

• 3,636 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

Gorgeously filmed, with witty subtitles by Anthony Burgess, to boot.

Er, he didn't just write subtitles, he published a translation of the play.

#38 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:13 PM

Crossing Delancey is DEFINITELY worth a look. And let me say again that I am sorry about the list. I understand your reasons for the threshold a little better now.

I am hard pressed to come up with actual sex in the film, real or implied (ie. off screen). I can recall intent to commit, but pulling back and characters not caring about such restraint. The great thing about the the flick is the "Mensch v. Catch" theme. Just about the best example of such a theme and my list would have been softened considerably by its inclusion.

#39 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,253 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:54 PM

I'm gonna second the nomination for Baz's Romeo + Juliet ...(and the characters don't jump in the sack until they are married by the priest either so that may help you).

A huge fave of mine. But no way it passes muster for Sudge's project, that's my guess. This is one INTENSE movie - if the sex isn't too hot for his readers, I bet the violence will be.

...you could do the Zeffirelli film from 1968 with Olivia Hussey (if my memory serves correctly it does have some brief nudity, though it was tame enough for us to watch in my grade ten English class).

Maybe. But that love scene's pretty steamy as well - quite controversial at the time, at least partly because of the age of the participants. Curious to know what Steve The Grey thinks on this one as well.

#40 SDG

SDG

• 8,996 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:02 AM

Many, many thanks for all the suggestions!

The Road Home looks like a really good possibility for the "recent" category. Hooray! I had real worries about filling that slot!

Crossing Delancey is one I probably wouldn't have found without all-y'all. They Might be Giants looks like a hoot, which I may or may not want to consider for Valentine's Day. If Cyrano and/or Crossing Delancy everything I hope and expect it to be, I won't need another "older" pick -- actually, at the moment I've got a weath of "older" possibilities (of course romantic movies often work well for Mother's Day too smile.gif ).

I've never seen Zefferelli's Romeo & Juliet; curiously, the extremely brief U.S. bishops Office for Film & Broadcasting capsule mentions only a "brief nude scene" but then slaps it with an "A-IV - for adults, with reservations" (their writeup of the Baz version adds mention of "romanticized suicides" which would presumably apply to the Zef version as well). Neither looks extremely promising for my purposes, although someday I will have to catch the Zef at least (I wasn't encouraged by reviews of the Baz, speaking generally here and not with respect to the special issues of my column, and after my disillusionment with Moulin Rouge! I'm wondering if Baz will ever again equal the brilliance of Strictly Ballroom.)

My Fair Lady I've seen, but only once, and actually didn't really take to it. I realize this is akin to heresy, but gosh, call me a troglodyte for thinking that either Higgins needed some kind of rehabilitation, or comeuppance, or SOMEthing, or else at least the picture needed some other kind of resolution instead of just stopping. But I probably just didn't get it, and I'm definitely going to give it another chance. smile.gif

I was not a fan of Big Fish (or Punch Drunk Love for that matter).

Finally, let me say again, if you like the kind of movies that Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn made, do yourself a favor and go catch Holiday (1938)!

"Steve the Grey." Like that! biggrin.gif

Rich, stop beatin youself up. You makin me feel bad. tongue.gif