Photo

favorite romantic movies / chick flicks?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 mike_h

mike_h

Flickerer

• 331 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:25 AM

Finally, let me say again, if you like the kind of movies that Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn made, do yourself a favor and go catch Holiday (1938)
One of my all-time favorites and very neglected. Could almost be a "New Years Eve movie" of It's a Wonderful Life's "Christmas movie" status.

#42 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:00 PM

\"Steve the Grey.\" Like that! biggrin.gif

Wizard of film

Last night my wife came home from the video store exhilarated - she'd found what she described as maybe her all-time favourite movie. "The romatic comedy! With Marissa Tomei! ONLY LOVE!" I don't know if my face or hers clouded first. "Uh, wasn't that ONLY YOU" I say, as gently as possible.

Yup, she had the wrong video, and could only berate Merissa Tomei for being in two movies with almost the same title. But anyhow, there's a belated nomination for your list.

#43 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,224 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

Cool thread smile.gif

Needs more Eternal Sunshine... and Corpse Bride though.

Also, I saw no mention of Ladyhawke. For shame A&F.

This thread reminds me of a good friend from college. Whenever people would be talking about favorite movies, he'd say "The Crow". Everyone would look at him weird and he'd explain, "It's just such a great love story." Then everyone would look at him a bit more weird. Which is what he was looking for anyway.

Edited by solishu, 18 November 2005 - 03:25 PM.

#44 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,782 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

My wife, about to go on maternity leave, wants me to upgrade my netflix queue to include more watchable films, mainly chick flicks (or Bourne Identity-like movies).

Now, I've had some good influence, and most of the common chick flicks don't meet up with her standards.

For example, "When Harry Met Sally", she rates as excellent. "My Best Friends Wedding" is the stupidest movie ever. She'll still sit through and enjoy films like "Miller's Crossing" but can only take one of those a month.

Can you help us out by recommending smart films that aren't obsessed with sex (though I pointed out to her that WHMS doesn't measure up to that standard), violence, are not insulting to the audience, or over sappy.

Other chick flix she likes: The BBC Pride & Prejudice, the Pride & Prejudice, she can handle "While you were sleeping", and the Winona Ryder "Little Women".

What else would you recommend?

#45 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Your Obedient Servant

• 830 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

Her appreciation for the two P&P adaptations is a helpful clue. Follow that up with as many top-drawer Austen adaptations as you can lay your hands on (Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion). Depending on your costume quotient, these are the best "chick flicks" around.

If she's looking for something a little more challenging, why not try Portrait of a Lady, which is a flick about a chick, but somehow escapes classification. Or perhaps the surprisingly mirthless House of Mirth?

Have you raided this list?

Edited by Nathaniel, 25 November 2007 - 01:30 AM.

#46 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,784 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

Out of Africa
Groundhog Day
The End of the Affair
Casablanca
African Queen
Life Is Beautiful
Amalie
He Loves Me . . . He Loves Me Not
A Very Long Engagement

#47 Jeff Kolb

Jeff Kolb

Existential Interpersonal Benevolant Ruler

• 446 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:21 AM

Return to Me
The Princess and the Warrior
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kolya
High Fidelity
Singin' in the Rain
Roman Holiday
Sabrina (1954)
Charade

Edited by Jeff Kolb, 25 November 2007 - 01:25 AM.

#48 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Buckeye Jones @ Nov 24 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife, about to go on maternity leave, wants me to upgrade my netflix queue to include more watchable films, mainly chick flicks (or Bourne Identity-like movies).
blink.gif

Is that an interpretive or alternative "or"? (What are "Bourne Identity-like movies"?)

Some chick-flick-compatible possibilities:

Very recent:
Once (yes I am sharing the love)
Lars and the Real Girl (not yet on DVD!)
Comparatively recent:
Monsoon Wedding
Strictly Ballroom
Life is Beautiful
Cyrano de Bergerac
Corpse Bride
Emma
Return to Me
The Dish
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
In Good Company
The Namesake
Just Like Heaven
Bride and Prejudice?
Classics:
Singin' in the Rain
Fiddler on the Roof
Shop Around the Corner
Bringing Up Baby
Holiday
The Princess Bride
It Happened one Night
Charade
Oklahoma!
Roman Holiday
Sabrina (1954!)
Monsieur Boaucaire (1946)
Silent:
City Lights
The Kid Brother
The General
Dunno about Bourne Identity-like movies, but some action-adventure movies with notable romantic themes:
Spider-Man 2
The Mark of Zorro (1940)
The Mask of Zorro
X-Men, X2
Pirates of the Caribbean
Superman Returns
Captain Horatio Hornblower
Other high-escapist-value and/or comfort movies, at least for me:
It's a Wonderful Life
Midnight Run
The Story of the Weeping Camel
Men in Black
Batman Begins
Spirited Away
The Court Jester
Jackie Chan's First Strike
Silverado
Die Hard
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Galaxy Quest
Star Trek II-IV, VI, First Contact
Frequency
Back to the Future
The Matrix

#49 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,782 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone--great suggestions. We're seeing a lot of stuff we haven't thought of--I knew y'all would come through.

She actually owns Amelie, so a great suggestion. We'll be adding a lot to the queue, and then ordering it so they should show up before 2010.

Keep 'em coming!

#50 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,224 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

I'd add The Importance of Being Earnest and Bend it Like Beckham.

#51 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,295 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

Sounds like we have the same wife. Chick flicks and Bourne Identity - who would have thought?

I'll ask Carole what her favourite movies are. For starters, I know she considers AVALON one of her all-time favourites, and she re-watches the (admittedly corny) RETURN TO ME over and over. (Embrace the sentiment, love the old guys and you'll be fine.)

#52 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,784 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

these two might be debatable: Love Song for Bobby Long and Being John Malcovich

(just sneak them in when the estrogen level gets too high for you.)

Edited by Darrel Manson, 26 November 2007 - 08:00 PM.

#53 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 2,001 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Ron @ Nov 26 2007, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like we have the same wife. Chick flicks and Bourne Identity - who would have thought?

I'll ask Carole what her favourite movies are. For starters, I know she considers AVALON one of her all-time favourites, and she re-watches the (admittedly corny) RETURN TO ME over and over. (Embrace the sentiment, love the old guys and you'll be fine.)

Return to Me is great - strong, strong supporting cast. I think Romantic Comedies are all about the supporting cast. You already know what's going to happen to the leads.

#54 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,783 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

It's Valentine's Day, and this thread hasn't had a post in more than six years, so I'm bumping it up.

#55 rjkolb

rjkolb

• 115 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch - 1940) - My personal favorite romantic comedy

The Lady Eve (Preston Sturges - 1941)

His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks - 1940)

Brief Encounter (David Lean - 1945)

I quickly scanned the thread and did not notice these; so I thought I would add them.

Edited by rjkolb, 14 February 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#56 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,784 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Film Movement catalog of romance films

#57 SDG

SDG

• 9,256 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

Return to Me is new on Blu-ray and DVD from Olive Films this week. I wrote for Crux about the film's Catholic themes:

“Return to Me” has an easygoing Catholic vibe akin, but not identical, to Golden Age Hollywood piety; in fact, the movie blends nostalgia and irreverence for the Catholic Hollywood of Bing Crosby’s era. Grace’s Irish grandfather Marty (Carroll O’Connor) recalls fondly that Crosby “made a lovely priest” (i.e., Father O’Malley in “Going My Way” in 1944, and “The Bells of St. Mary’s“), although another character counters that Crosby also “beat the hell out of his kids.”...

In the chapel, Marty and Megan light candles and pray. Marty invokes St. Michael the Archangel, admitting, “My wife never thought much of you, but you were always my favorite saint, because you’re a battler, you’re a fighter. Fight for us now, Michael. Fight for us.”

Hunt cuts back and forth between the chapel and the operating room, suggesting the power of prayer at work in the surgeons’ efforts. Then, at the scene’s climax, a closeup of a glowing votive candle fades to a heart monitor as the new heart begins beating on the soundtrack. It wouldn’t have been a heart transplant in a Crosby film, but it’s easy to imagine a similar “grace note” (so to speak) in a 1940s melodrama.

P.S. This thread was originally called "favorite romantic films?" In 2007 there was a much shorter thread called "Chick Flicks" (beginning with this post) which I have now rolled into this one.

Edited by SDG, 30 January 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#58 SDG

SDG

• 9,256 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

New article: "My Top 10 Movie Romances that Don't Show Up on Romantic Movie Lists."

Basically, after reviewing a bunch of Internet lists of romantic movies and seeing the same (obvious) choices come up again and again, I decided to be intentionally obscure and pick only titles I didn't notice cropping up on other people's lists.

So no Jane Austen or Shakespeare. No Hepburn or Cary Grant, Meg Ryan or Tom Hanks. No Say Anything or Jerry Maguire, no City Lights or Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. Nothing against any of the above, but you don't need me to tout them. Instead, here are ten films you might not find on other lists of movie romances.

B9GZelhIIAAafhx.jpg