favorite romantic movies?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 mike_h

mike_h

Flickerer

• 331 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 11:25 AM

Finally, let me say again, if you like the kind of movies that Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn made, do yourself a favor and go catch Holiday (1938)
One of my all-time favorites and very neglected. Could almost be a "New Years Eve movie" of It's a Wonderful Life's "Christmas movie" status.

#42 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,250 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:00 PM

\"Steve the Grey.\" Like that! biggrin.gif

Wizard of film

Last night my wife came home from the video store exhilarated - she'd found what she described as maybe her all-time favourite movie. "The romatic comedy! With Marissa Tomei! ONLY LOVE!" I don't know if my face or hers clouded first. "Uh, wasn't that ONLY YOU" I say, as gently as possible.

Yup, she had the wrong video, and could only berate Merissa Tomei for being in two movies with almost the same title. But anyhow, there's a belated nomination for your list.

#43 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,215 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

Cool thread smile.gif

Needs more Eternal Sunshine... and Corpse Bride though.

Also, I saw no mention of Ladyhawke. For shame A&F.

This thread reminds me of a good friend from college. Whenever people would be talking about favorite movies, he'd say "The Crow". Everyone would look at him weird and he'd explain, "It's just such a great love story." Then everyone would look at him a bit more weird. Which is what he was looking for anyway.

Edited by solishu, 18 November 2005 - 03:25 PM.

#44 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,068 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

It's Valentine's Day, and this thread hasn't had a post in more than six years, so I'm bumping it up.

#45 rjkolb

rjkolb

• 111 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch - 1940) - My personal favorite romantic comedy

The Lady Eve (Preston Sturges - 1941)

His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks - 1940)

Brief Encounter (David Lean - 1945)

I quickly scanned the thread and did not notice these; so I thought I would add them.

Edited by rjkolb, 14 February 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#46 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,637 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Film Movement catalog of romance films