My Big Fat Greek Wedding
The Philadelphia Story
The Princess Bride
Return to Me
Roman Holiday
Sabrina
Say Anything
Strictly Ballroom

As usual, I am trolling particularly for titles to use in my Video / DVD Picks column come Valentine's Day. The usual constraints apply: Films like Say Anything and Amelie, as delightful as they may be in many respects, don't make the cut because of their indulgent perspective on nonmarital sex.

What are your favorites?

#2 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:24 PM

Sunrise has forever become number one.

#3 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:25 PM

You won't use some of these, by reason of your threshhold, but:
Shakespeare In Love
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
The Apartment
Truly, Madly, Deeply
Four Weddings And A Funeral
Annie Hall
The Thin Man
(all of 'em)
What's Up Doc
Clueless
Mystic Pizza
Out Of Sight

#4 Diane

Diane

Musical Shepherdess Goes to Washington

• 1,049 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:31 PM

I'd add this Jane Austen trio:

Persuasion (1995)--Simply outstanding. My top choice because the time is more manageable than my next pick.
Pride & Prejudice (1995)--The A&E miniseries version. Long, but so worth it.
Sense & Sensibility

Diane

#5 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:37 PM

Yes indeed, Diane. Even on which Sense and Sensibility.

#6 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:39 PM

Rear Window!

#7 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,965 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:59 PM

You mentioned Baz's first film, but what about Moulin Rouge! (Though again, probably has those issues you mentioned).

#8 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,189 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:03 PM

SDG wrote:
: The usual constraints apply: Films like Say Anything and Amelie, as
: delightful as they may be in many respects, don't make the cut because
: of their indulgent perspective on nonmarital sex.

Where would When Harry Met Sally... (number 6 on my all-time top-ten list) fall with regard to these constraints? The characters never come out and SAY "Premarital sex is bad! Bad bad bad bad bad!" but the characters' ACTIONS speak volumes. Billy Crystal's character is rampantly promiscuous and he gets married, the first time, just because he's tired of dating; not surprisingly, this marriage only lasts a few years. Meanwhile, Meg Ryan's character lives with a guy for five years because they're not ready to talk commitment, and then, when she says she wants children, they break up; within a year, her ex-boyfriend meets a woman and the two of them get engaged, and this prompts Ryan to sob and say, "All this time he said he didn't want to get married, but the truth is, he didn't want to marry ME. He didn't love me." And the climax to this film is, of course, the moment when Crystal says to Ryan, "I came here tonight because, when you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible!" And then, of course, there is the structural device of putting interview clips with various married couples between the scenes of the film. Granted, a few of these interview clips are pretty wishy-washy (like the guy who's been through several wives), and you have to wonder what problems Crystal and Ryan will have to face because of all those wild oats he sowed, but the whole point of the film, it seems to me, is that loving marriage is the ultimate goal that all people aspire to, whether they know it or not, and those who settle for less will get hurt. Quite honestly, I think this film (which I first saw when I was 18 ) is one of a number of things that has helped to keep me chaste all these years.

Apart from that, I also note that the number 2 film on my all-time top-ten list is The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985), which is a romance of sorts, and my number 3 film is The Family Way (1966), which begins with a wedding and then shows the virginal newlyweds struggling with impotence and the like, and my number 5 film is The Empire Strikes Back (1980), which is by the far the most entertainingly romantic of the Star Wars films, and the number 7 spot on my list is a tie between The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), which has one of my favorite romantic lines of all time -- "Well that's different!" -- though you have to see it in context to get it, and The Court Jester (1956), which has one of the funniest send-ups of courtly love, in which a hypnotized Danny Kaye tries to woo Princess Angela Lansbury.

#9 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:06 PM

Sunrise has forever become number one.

It wouldn't have been my first thought, but yeah, come to mention it, that's a great pick. From beginning to end. And even though it has an extra-marital affair, i think the way it was depicted was spot-on. It was shown as something vile that you'd rather sweep under the rug than something wonderful and enticing.

Can't really think of much else. It's not my genre.

-s.

PS Monsoon Wedding i'd agree with as well.

#10 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,965 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:23 PM

The Court Jester (1956), which has one of the funniest send-ups of courtly love, in which a hypnotized Danny Kaye tries to woo Princess Angela Lansbury.

Me and my girlfriend watched this one on the weekend, and I actually thought it was really good. Danny Kaye is brilliant. Of course, even for a goofy comedy it has another good (humourously) romantic scene where Hawkins and the girl are sleeping in the stable and she has him put his arm around her, etc.

The one romantic film that I can't believe no one has mentioned yet:

Casablanca

And as for myself, I have always found certain parts of It's A Wonderful Life to be wonderfully romantic. And also Donna Reed is a babe.

#11 schilleriana

schilleriana

spatial naturalist

• 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:29 PM

Before Sunrise.

#12 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

WOO HOO!

I just finished Holiday (1938), a romantic comedy starring Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn, and I am blown away. I think it could be my favorite Hepburn film and possibly even my favorite Grant film. Brilliant, delightful, subtle, elegant, just a wonderful, wonderful romantic comedy. Where has this film been all my life, and why is it not on DVD?!!?!

It will be my "classic" (50s and before) pick for Valentine's Day -- and a tough act to follow for the "older" (60s-90s) and "recent" (2000s) picks that will have to accompany it.

Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility are both great recommendations (too bad for me my predecessor at the Register already wrote them up).

Sunrise: Haven't yet seen this one, though it's been on my list for awhile. Thanks for the recommendation, Asher.

Yikes, Rich -- MOST of those titles wouldn't work for me, except What's Up, Doc? which I've already done, plus I haven't seen the Sherlock Holmes and Mystic Pizza films. I have seen Truly, Madly, Deeply but don't remember it all that well.

Rear Window?! Sure, Grace Kelly is the epitome of elegant allure and all, but it's hardly a Valentine's Day type flick.

Peter: When Harry Met Sally is well into the grey zone, but I'd have to watch it again to be sure. Of the others you mention, The Court Jester sounds most promising, though I don't know if I'll want to use it for Valentine's Day.

Anders: I did mention Casablanca. smile.gif

#13 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:09 PM

Yikes, Rich -- MOST of those titles wouldn't work for me, except What's Up, Doc? which I've already done, plus I haven't seen the Sherlock Holmes and Mystic Pizza films. I have seen Truly, Madly, Deeply but don't remember it all that well.

Well, you asked for my favorites. Sorry. I'm truly sad that Shakespeare doesn't make it (my best flick of the '90's). Sherlock won't either, unless the fact that the characters are spanked "for" doing the nasty compensates (it's bittersweet romance, for which I'm a BIG sucker, as is...) Truly. Mystic Pizza is an indie film from when that actually meant something (late '80's). I'm not sure at the moment whether there is extra-marital sex in it, but there is intent to commit that is foiled. And marriage. And a dizzying aray of screen debuts.

#14 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:15 AM

SAY ANYTHING (already mentioned) is my great favourite, but I understand the problem for your readership.

I can't remember if WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING has the usual laxness about sexual morality, but it might qualify. And it's my next favourite: nothing profound, but sweet, charming, and I think it's heart is in the right place. There's stuff about how authentic relationships grow. And Sandra Bullock's at her cutest. (Which for some, is not a good thing. For me, it worked worked worked. Sigh.)

I think of RUNNING ON EMPTY when I think of SAY ANYTHING: also about a teen romance, also more substantial than the usual. No memory at all about the sexual element, but given the liberal politics of the film's milieu, I would suspect a similar sexual liberality.

#15 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:41 AM

It Happened One Night.
Il Postino.
Cyrano de Bergerac.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,189 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:25 AM

SDG wrote:
: Of the others you mention, The Court Jester sounds most promising,
: though I don't know if I'll want to use it for Valentine's Day.

Plus it's a '50s film and it sounds like you've already got that era covered.

Rich Kennedy wrote:
: Mystic Pizza is an indie film from when that actually meant something
: (late '80's). I'm not sure at the moment whether there is extra-marital
: sex in it, but there is intent to commit that is foiled. And marriage.

I made a point of seeing this film on the big screen after seeing a clip on Siskel & Ebert in which the Vincent D'Onofrio character tells the commitmentphobic Lili Taylor character that he isn't going to have sex with her unless they get married first. It was a nice reversal of the typical gender roles, and I remember thinking the film handled this aspect of the story rather well -- he even says this because he's a Catholic, as I recall -- but I believe the Julia Roberts and Annabeth Gish characters do have non-marital affairs of their own.

#17 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,877 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:22 AM

Being that you won't accept any other "classic" film, (and I think Hollywood classics have always trumped the modern films in terms of romance... check out "Random Harvest" or "The Lady Eve")...

I did a search on IMDB and gathered from my memories which films were (1) good and (2) not morally offensive to your readers. Forgive me if my memories lag...

60s - 90s:
Princess Bride
Charade
West Side Story
My Fair Lady
Witness
Romeo & Juliet
Purple Rose of Cairo
Room with a View
Shadowlands

Present:
Count of Monte Cristo
Monsoon Wedding
The Road Home
In the Mood For Love
Mrs. Brown

Hope this helps!
Nick

#18 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:25 AM

I'd also vote for When Harry Met Sally, There is stuff about pre-marital sex in it but then its going to be difficult to find a film, at least a modern day film, where sex doesn't come into it.

Also I wouldn't have put Life is Beautiful down as a Valentines day flick.

What about Punch Drunk Love? Its such a sweet film, and IMO the sexual content is far less problemmatic than it is in Amelie (which you did list).

Also I also saw the following last year:
The Importance of Being Earnest
An Ideal Husband
About a Boy
Some Like it Hot
Bridget Jones Diary

Matt

#19 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,124 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:04 AM

Well, you asked for my favorites. Sorry.
I did -- after all, just because I had ulterior motives for starting the thread doesn't mean it has to be about just me and my needs. smile.gif
I'd also vote for When Harry Met Sally, There is stuff about pre-marital sex in it but then its going to be difficult to find a film, at least a modern day film, where sex doesn't come into it.
True. Lucky me, that's my job. smile.gif

Not that it can't have ANYTHING sexual in it... My Big Fat Greek Wedding did past muster, albeit barely... but bedroom scenes per se are very problematic (more problematic than nudity in a nonsexual context), and I have to be very attentive to overall moral considerations and what's likely to offend pious readers who don't see a lot of films.
What about Punch Drunk Love? Its such a sweet film, and IMO the sexual content is far less problemmatic than it is in Amelie (which you did list).
The phone sex scene alone would probably disqualify it.

More later...

#20 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,866 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:26 AM

Crossing Delancey--Amy Irving's bubbe wants the neighborhood matchmaker to fix Amy up with a nice Jewish boy (Peter Riegert) who makes pickles in Brooklyn, but Amy thinks she's too intellectual and modern for him and goes after a poet (Jeroen Krabbe) from Manhattan or Greenwich Village or some arty neighborhood. The poet, of course, is an utter cad. Fortunately, Amy figures out that one's job is not what makes a person romantic. Funny & romantic; no pre-marital sex--if I recall correctly. Rated PG, so it must be very discreet.