10/14/04 Columbus, OH Little Brothers with String Section
10/15/04 Chicago, IL Old Town School Of Folk Music with String Section
10/16/04 Grand Rapids, MI Calvin College Fine Arts Center with String Section
10/17/04 Toronto, Canada Lulu's with String Section
10/18/04 Philadelphia, PA World Café Live with String Section
10/19/04 New York, NY Zankel Hall with String Section
10/20/04 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club with String Section
10/21/04 Alexandria, VA Iota with String Section

Edited by run, 31 August 2004 - 09:24 AM.

#103 TexasWill

TexasWill

Easy Black Russian Terror Suspect

• 639 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (run @ Aug 31 2004, 09:22 AM)
More dates added. Two Shows in Austin.

10/8/04 Austin, TX The Cactus Club
10/9/04 Austin, TX The Cactus Club

Apparently this is actually called "The Cactus Cafe"

http://www.utexas.ed...?cactus=current

I'm told this is a tiny little place, so that's why she might have to do two shows. The Cactus also reveals that she is expecting a "Special Guest" to perform...

I'm hoping to make one of the Cactus Cafe shows and I'll definitely be at the Dallas show. w00t.gif

#104 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:51 AM

I am so glad that she is playing at the Cactus, cause I really did not wanna pay $45 to see her open for Byrne.

#105 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (run @ Aug 31 2004, 10:50 AM)
I am so glad that she is playing at the Cactus, cause I really did not wanna pay $45 to see her open for Byrne.

Yeah, you're gonna have to pay $14 to see a full-length set in an intimate room. biggrin.gif

#106 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:50 AM

Okay... too late to go into the details. I'll post much more tomorrow.

Three things:

1) Ms. Phillips did about 10 songs (45 minutes) as the opening act including what were apparently two great new songs... w00t.gif

2) Apparently it was hard for her to play in Fort Worth. sad.gif At one point she announced that "a Texan had broken her heart". Of course that Texan is a Fort Worth person... She also referred back to the time she used to live here for 2 years in the days when she recorded "The Turning" and came to know and love that Fort Worth man. She had tears running down her cheeks on a couple of songs and at one point turned her back away from the audience during a musical interlude to "Say What You Mean" and wiped tears from her eyes.

3) I found out she has a new official website that just started up the other day: www.samphillipsmusic.com w00t.gif

More later...

#107 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,419 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:12 AM

Yes, I know what you mean. Sam is playing here this week, opening for Byrne, but the cheapest ticket is $70. SHOCKED.gif

I'll wait for a solo Sam show.

#108 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Crow @ Sep 14 2004, 08:11 AM)

Yes, I know what you mean. Sam is playing here this week, opening for Byrne, but the cheapest ticket is $70. SHOCKED.gif

Wow!

They were much cheaper in Fort Worth.

I'm not really a Byrne or huge Talking Heads fan, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed the show. His band and the Tosca Strings were so tight and musical that it would be hard for Byrne to mess it up.

"Psycho Killer" played on a six-piece string section is something to experience. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

#109 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,122 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:29 AM

WOO HOO!! An official Web site!! At last!!!

I just came across this in a concert review:

Clad in matching Dickies overalls, Byrne and band mates Paul Frazier (bass), Mauro Refosco (percussion) and Graham Hawthorne (drums) took the stage around 9:30 p.m. after an excellent opening set from Sam Phillips' four-piece band, featuring a macabre mix of sultry cabaret and bizarre carnival waltz with some offbeat humor thrown in to boot. Think the soundtrack to Tim Burton's life.

Just to make things even weirder, I feel I should mention that Phillips played opposite Bruce Willis as Jeremy Irons' steel-faced lover in 1995's "Die Hard With a Vengeance." The fact that she exuded the stage personality of a knock-kneed, oddball outcast forced to get up and sing in front of all these strangers (yet somehow retaining a quirky sexiness) sent my brain on so many diverging tangents it felt like it was about to explode. Yep, it was beginning to feel like a Talking Heads concert.

#110 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:56 AM

Here's a piece from the Fort Worth paper (www.startext.com)

No style proves too difficult for Byrne

By Jeff Guinn

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

At this point in his career, it's less a matter of what David Byrne does musically -- which is anything imaginable -- than how he does it. Last night at Bass Performance Hall, Byrne brought along a three-piece rhythm section and the six-piece Tosca Strings from Austin, and the resulting hypnotic cacophony had the near-capacity crowd up and dancing from the first notes of Glass, Concrete & Stone through the throbbing funk of Once In a Lifetime.

Few other artists could elicit a two-minute delay between songs waiting for shrieks of audience joy to finally subside. Fewer could draw an eclectic crowd ranging from 50ish Talking Heads diehards to mohawked high schoolers, but Byrne's appeal is that universal.

Monday night, his manic commitment to entertain was fully expressed, whether in exaggerated hip shakes during Auscencia or a stage-long dance in between verses of The Great Intoxication. Even between songs, Byrne was masterful, pondering the Freudian aspects of the Grand Canyon, or mentioning that lovers who inspired a tune had broken up, "but the song lives on."

The only flaw during Byrne's set was not of his own doing. The sound mix was horrible, with the Tosca Strings so loud that the bassist and percussionist were too often inaudible.

Byrne's opening act was equally impressive.

Sam Phillips delivered an 11-song, 45-minute set that was an example of nothing less than near-minimalist magnificence. Standing stock-still at center stage, backed by a three-piece band, Phillips sang about life's tough rather than tender places, augmenting the music with comments about the true definition of "torch" songs and somehow turning "Hope will kill you" into a laugh line.

Only anticipation of David Byrne kept the crowd from demanding that Phillips stay on stage all night. If she ever comes back to headline at the Bass in her own right, you ought to be there.

GRADE: A

Edited by TexasWill, 14 September 2004 - 10:57 AM.

#111 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:39 AM

Another review from a blog:

Mediocre Musician at David Byrne

This is the part that made me choke:

Thankfully, the folks in front of me were my parents' age and stayed put....in their seat.

Um, TexasSara and I were on the front row directly in front of the percussionist and were the only ones in that section who remained seated except during standing ovations...

sad.gif People think we're old! blink.gif pinch.gif unsure.gif

Edited by TexasWill, 15 September 2004 - 11:41 AM.

#112 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Jeffrey Overstreet @ Apr 29 2004, 11:48 AM)
"A Boot and a Shoe" has broken my heart. I have listened to it once and cannot bring myself to listen to it again... not for a while.

Jeffrey,

I bought A Boot and a Shoe yesterday, and although I had listened repeatedly to parts of this album online, I was quite unprepared for the album as a whole. Help is Coming began just as I pulled up to the house and, after hearing all that came before, I sat in my vehicle outside the house hearing it in context for the first time, hearing all of its brokenness and hope, and I had tears in my eyes. I thought I knew the song already, but really I didn't; coming as the last track of this album, it packs quite a punch.

So today, I re-read this thread looking for more clues about the backstory to this album -- I mean, it's uncomfortably, painfully honest in places. And your post of April 29th (excerpted here) is a nice a piece of writing about music as I've read in a long time.

Sadly, her current tour comes to Canada for only one night, and that is 2,000 miles from here, in Toronto.

tw

#113 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,122 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:39 PM

Thanks, Tim. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've only grown more in my appreciation with it. It has more personal significance for me than any album I've heard since 1986.

#114 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,122 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 01:31 PM

St. Louis Today:

Supporting Byrne was California singer-songwriter Sam Phillips, whose latest CD is "A Boot and a Shoe." After introducing herself, T-Bone Burnett's ex-wife stood stiffly for an odd, a cappella song. Her band then joined Phillips for the rest of the set and songs such as "Say What You Mean" and "One Day Late." She called them torch songs: "Torch as in tortured, or when you're carrying a torch for someone. You love them, but they don't love you back. But you have hope. I'm here to tell you, hope will kill you." She sang as if the ravages of love had taken their toll on her, but her fans are better for it.

#115 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,122 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

The Weekly Dig digs Sam Phillips... although I disagree with this review on several points.

#116 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Jeffrey Overstreet @ Sep 17 2004, 12:30 PM)
St. Louis Today:

[snip]  After introducing herself, T-Bone Burnett's ex-wife stood stiffly for an odd, a cappella song....

Burnett's ex-wife? Did I miss something, or is the reporter wrong about this?

#117 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,122 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, we did discuss this somewhere on the board a while back. Sam and T-Bone separated quite a while ago... more than a year ago, I think. And most of the new album comes from Sam's suffering and disillusionment and a period of healing and rebuilding. She's very frank about this at the shows. She comes right out and said that she's failed at love, and that she's become a "torch" singer... as in "tortured."

So Tim, I'm confused. Are you surprised by the news of the divorce? Or by the news that it was T-Bone Burnett who divorced her?

#118 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:51 PM

I was surprised to hear of the divorce. Just now, in reading all pages of this thread, I noticed your comment on the divorce, but what had stuck in my mind was the speculation over T-Bone's role in the album. The early discussion made me think they were still together.

Your comment in April was
Picked up my copy today, and I love love love... the photos. And the lyrics.

And no, I won't listen to it until I can settle down in some sacred place this evening.

"Thanks to T-Bone Burnett for his generosity."

Hmmm. That's very formal.

Bruce replied
My insert says "Thanks to T-Bone for his generosity." (no last name). Not *quite* as formal.
Bruce

Peter asked if she was still listed as "Sam Burnett" in the credits?
and TexasWill said, No...
I get the sense that she doesn't always like to tell people that she's married to a very influential producer... folks who don't know any better might think she's a Mariah Carey.

So it WAS covered earlier and I just missed it. Gives a lot of content new meaning, but makes me wonder how Burnett could mix songs like "I Wanted to Be Alone".

#119 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,122 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

Someone asked him that in an interview, and he replied, "Just wait until you hear MY next album!"

Oh dear.

But he also laughingly commented that he had no crediblity as a husband. An interesting remark.

I actually knew about the divorce long before this thread even started, but taking a hint from one of my colleagues, I decided to honor the efforts of Sam and T-Bone to keep it quiet in the press for a long time. Once Sam's album arrived and inspired speculation (which, I admit, I was playfully hinting at with my "formal" comment), the cover was blown off. The No Depression interview dealt with the subject quite boldly.

#120 TexasWill

TexasWill

• 639 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Tim Willson @ Sep 29 2004, 12:50 PM)
Peter asked if she was still listed as "Sam Burnett" in the credits?
and TexasWill said, No...
I get the sense that she doesn't always like to tell people that she's married to a very influential producer... folks who don't know any better might think she's a Mariah Carey.

When I wrote that I did not know for sure that she and T-Bone had split up, but her new album told me as much from the first listen - the first time I heard "If I Could Write", I knew... but it was not confirmed.

I was hoping she was just singing as a character, not as something coming from her heart.

As a person who has suffered the emotional, mental and spiritual devastation of being the victim of adultery, abandonment and divorce, I know the emotional territory all too well. I was torn apart for the better part of two years.

But through it all she has apparently found a stronger faith.