Blue Like Jazz (2012)

Steve Taylor Christian film

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#41 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 1,018 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

This has a strange symmetry with the thread about Derek Webb in the music forum...

#42 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

That was classic Taylor humor. Loved it.

I wonder if the 10 cents from every dollar toward the Clone newsletter still goes toward his wife and kids and new Honda. smile.gif

#43 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:54 AM

Steve Taylor and Donald Miller say the movie is "on hold indefinitely".

#44 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

Has Taylor gotten a completed film out so far? It seems like his projects all have stalled along the way.

#45 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 1,018 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Has Taylor gotten a completed film out so far? It seems like his projects all have stalled along the way.

Didn't he direct a movie starring Michael W. Smith a few years ago?

#46 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

morgan1098 wrote:
: Didn't he direct a movie starring Michael W. Smith a few years ago?

Yep. Link to our thread on The Second Chance (2006). (Mildly surprised that no one had linked to it from this thread yet.)

#47 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

Didn't he direct a movie starring Michael W. Smith a few years ago?

Right, but no one saw it and we can't remember what it was called. And for some of us, the idea of the two working together in the first place was a bit strange.

I agree with the sentiment, though -- the idea that it seems like there hasn't been a completed film to this point. I wonder how he's making a living.

Edited by Persona, 17 September 2010 - 11:57 AM.

#48 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,175 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Save Blue Like Jazz ... by making a donation.

I gotta say, I wonder about the legality of all this. I mean, I'm sure it's LEGAL, but I also have a feeling that it could be really COMPLICATED, at least based on some comments that Kevin Smith made a little while ago ("We got some lawyers to look at it, and it's a f*****g nightmare to accept donations to make a movie. A tax nightmare, it sounded so good in theory").

#49 Bobbin Threadbare

Bobbin Threadbare

• 115 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

Right, but no one saw it and we can't remember what it was called. And for some of us, the idea of the two working together in the first place was a bit strange.

FWIT, Second Chance is by far the best "Christian movie" I've ever seen. Funny, biting, a call for social justice. If only as many churches would play it as played the pabulum of other "Christian movies."

I gotta say, I wonder about the legality of all this. I mean, I'm sure it's LEGAL, but I also have a feeling that it could be really COMPLICATED, at least based on some comments that Kevin Smith made a little while ago ("We got some lawyers to look at it, and it's a f*****g nightmare to accept donations to make a movie. A tax nightmare, it sounded so good in theory").

Given the way movies generally run their finances(by cooking the books so that, for tax purposes, they never make a profit), I'm not surprised that anyone trying the Hollywood method of filmmaking would think it a nightmare.

#50 Bobbin Threadbare

Bobbin Threadbare

• 115 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

It looks like the Blue Like Jazz is already $6,000 over their fundraising goal, with 19 days left to go.

Now we'll see if Taylor can pull the movie together and actually begin production on the 25th. I find it interesting that the site lists the project location as Nashville. Will it be standing in for Portland?

#51 Christian

Christian

• 11,041 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

I hadn’t kept up with the fundraising angle discussed here, but the Atlantic has a good piece on the film’s newly firm financial footing.

The movie's inability to fit into a pre-existing category helps explain why Miller and his collaborators had so much trouble coming up with the money to make the film. "You're sort of pissing off both sides," Miller said. "Hollywood hates it because we don't have our head up our ass, and the church hates it because we don't have our head up our ass."

Edited by Christian, 22 October 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#52 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,175 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

Mike Fleming @ Deadline.com has picked up the story of the film's salvation at the hands of its fans ... and the comments under his post are kind of interesting. One person asks why the $5 million budget couldn't have been cut back to $4.75 million, or whatever the difference would have been after the $250,000 in financing fell through. And at least one other person tries to raise a stink over the supposed devaluation of "associate producer" credits, now that this film will apparently have a thousand of 'em.

#53 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

Wayfaring Chestertonian Genre Slut

• 370 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

Mike Fleming @ Deadline.com has picked up the story of the film's salvation at the hands of its fans ... and the comments under his post are kind of interesting. One person asks why the $5 million budget couldn't have been cut back to $4.75 million, or whatever the difference would have been after the $250,000 in financing fell through. And at least one other person tries to raise a stink over the supposed devaluation of "associate producer" credits, now that this film will apparently have a thousand of 'em.

That post had faulty info -- the budget of the film is under 1 million, not 5 million.

#54 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,175 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

#55 morgan1098

morgan1098

• 1,018 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Steve Taylor doesn't look as old as he should in that video. In fact, he looks like he might still have a good rock and roll record left in him. Maybe after the movie...

#56 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,420 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

Trailer is up on the site now.

#57 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,484 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

#58 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 345 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

I just realized that the guy playing Donald Miller's the same guy who played LJ in Prison Break!

#59 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:21 PM

Steve Taylor doesn't look as old as he should in that video. In fact, he looks like he might still have a good rock and roll record left in him. Maybe after the movie...

Here's to hoping.

#60 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 345 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:23 PM

Here's to hoping.

Steve posted on his Facebook page that he'd make new music this year; whether or not he's serious I'm not entirely certain.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steve Taylor, Christian film