Photo

new york, new york...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 techne

techne

• 383 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

a friend of mine is heading off to the new york fringe to do a winter's tale -- he has asked me if there are any galleries/ museums/ shows/ theatre/ dance thangs he absolutely must take in. he will be there for 2-3 weeks beginning august 1. any suggestions?

much appreciated...

#2 jfutral

jfutral

• 271 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

(Shameless self-promotion) My company (Pilobolus) is performing at the Joyce (on the corner of 8th Ave and 19th St) until the 11th.

Joe

#3 Sara Zarr

Sara Zarr

Drive-By Poster / The Glen Online

• Glen Online
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:07 PM

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, obviously. But you can't see the whole thing properly. Me, I could spend all day just looking at the Van Goghs...

#4 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,831 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:42 AM

Of all the huge tourist traps, I'd most recommend The Circle Line. It's just a boat ride around Manhattan, but it's a three-hour tour that shows you most of the cool sites (if only by a distance).

I would also suggest finding a nice jazz club and taking the performance in. And the Murray Hill section (29th to 34th streets and 3rd ave) have some exceptional restaurants with decent prices.

Of all the museums, sure, do the Met. But the best kept secret is "The Frick", down the street... a small little home converted into a museum.

Shows? Right now the buzz is surrounding _Xanadu_.

#5 techne

techne

• 383 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

pilobolus will be performing in calgary (right next door, really) this weekend as part of alberta ballet's season launch, but i have such a full weekend i can't go. poop.

i hope they will return one day. soon. :cry: :cry: