Photo

MP3s of the Moment!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Concord

Concord

• 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

A most excellent idea for a thread, Jeffery.

As my inaugural post, I offer the following:

Blind Pilot - One Red Thread

Sparse and luxurious at the same time, this duo from Portland makes music that sounds great over coffee or anytime at all.

The Weepies - Orbiting

Husband and wife singer/songwriters from Southern California, destined for high rotation on the iPods of indy-lovers everywhere.

#42 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

I finally got around to checking out the Best of Bootie 2008 mash-up compilation this week and right now, I'm totally in love with Totom's "Every Kind Of Creep (Zebra remix)" which brings together Radiohead's "Creep" and Robert Palmer's "Every Kinda People".

Like so many of the best mash-ups, it doesn't work on paper at all but when you play it, it's a match made in heaven.

DJ Zebra's "Roxanne Should Be Dancing", Brat's "Easy Heaven", and DJ Schmolli's "Justice For Billie Jean" are also a lot of fun.

#43 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

Stereogum has an MP3 from the Clientele's upcoming album. It's entitled "I Wonder Who We Are", and well, it's The Clientele -- breathy vocals, lovely arrangements, a bassline to die for, and some Spanish guitar thrown in for good measure. In a word: gorgeous. Few bands are so beautifully consistent.

http://stereogum.com...are_078692.html

#44 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

"Dying in Africa" is the new track from Sally Shapiro's upcoming album, Guilty Pleasure (which gets my vote for the most accurate album title of 2009). If you're into italo-disco, synth arpeggios and orchestral hits, and/or cooing Swedish vocals, then this track will totally make your afternoon.

Edited by opus, 21 August 2009 - 01:16 PM.

#45 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,278 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

The Besnard Lakes return! And wow, it sounds very fresh and different. I wouldn't have expected this band to remind me of Belly, but that's what this sounds like to me.

Edited by Overstreet, 06 January 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#46 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,278 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

Two new Frightened Rabbit tracks.

#47 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

Labrador just released another MP3 from the upcoming Radio Dept. album. "Heaven's On Fire" still displays an 80s sensibility, but it sounds like the group is moving towards a breezier electro-pop sound a la Saint Etienne, which is fine by me.

http://www.labrador.se/heavensonfire/

#48 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

Damien Jurado has a new album -- Saint Bartlett -- coming out in May, and Stereogum has the first MP3 from it. I like it: it sounds like some longlost 50's sockhop anthem as covered by Jurado. Which means that, for all of its poppy-ness, there's a sort of nostalgic, antiquated melancholy to it as well.

#49 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,708 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

I've been having some computer problems that won't let me listen to it, but wow is that cover gorgeous. I thought Caught in Trees was an amazing reinvention of the Jurado format, so I'm excited to hear the new stuff.

#50 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

Damien Jurado has a new album -- Saint Bartlett -- coming out in May, and Stereogum has the first MP3 from it. I like it: it sounds like some longlost 50's sockhop anthem as covered by Jurado. Which means that, for all of its poppy-ness, there's a sort of nostalgic, antiquated melancholy to it as well.

I was pretty sure Damien Jurado had lost it. After a couple of tepid albums, he seemed to have totally lost steam. But then he released Caught in Trees and sounded revitalized. I remembered why I liked him so much. After listening to "Arkansaw" a few times I believe his hot streak might continue. It's got the Jurado "pop song" feel but Richard Swift's excellent production puts it into a totally different time and place. The 50's comparison is appropriate. I never would have guessed it, but it works like a charm.

#51 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

I came across "Round and Round" the new 4AD single from Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti and I can't get enough of it. Imagine a creeping bassline a la "Billie Jean", some 70's AM gold, a little disco funk, and a choir submerged in an echo chamber -- or just imagine a warmer, fuzzier version of Lansing-Dreiden fully indulging in a Hall & Oates fetish.

You can download the MP3 here or stream it here (and take a gander at it's, um, interesting artwork).

#52 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

Anyone listened to the Album by Girls? The song 'Hellhole ratrace' has got hold of me, and I'm wondering whether the album could be one to get hold of. Their video is sort of a hymn to the liberating power of a good party. I'm not sure I've ever been to a party that good, but still, it's a cracking tune, and a nicely filmed video.

#53 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,161 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

Pitchfork has a new joint from Big Boi, whose solo album is finally seeing the light of day this summer. I don't like it as much as I did some of the earlier leaked singles-- especially "Shine Blockas"-- but this is still a hot track, a shoo-in to be one of this summer's big jams.

#54 Steve Vander Woude

Steve Vander Woude

• 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

I got an email last week from indie label Velvet Blue Music about a free track from the upcoming album Panorama by newly signed Birds & Batteries. I've come to appreciate VBM's signing instincts (they are the label home of Doug Burr and Telegraph Canyon), so I gave it a listen. I'm glad I did. It's a beautiful song. Check it out.

Strange Kind Of Mirror

#55 Klaas

Klaas

• 67 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Damien Jurado and Richard Swift's "Other People's Songs" can be found here.

“Other People’s Songs Vol. 1” is a collection of covers recorded on the weekend of August 21-22, 2010 (with the aid of a four-track cassette recorder and a Coles-4038 ribbon microphone). It is available to you (the world) via the inter-webs for FREE. These recordings came about spontaneously, and we wanted to share them in the same manner. Look for another one around Winter time. “Thanks, Brochacho” - DJ/RS

#56 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

Thom Jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

New single from UNKLE with Nick Cave on vocals here.

#57 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:12 AM

I am just listening to Little measurements. by Les Etoiles, here: http://recordsonribs...tlemeasurements

It's released for free by a record label called 'Records on ribs'. It's nice. A little bit like Olaf Arnalds.

#58 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

Thom Jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

I would encourage folks to check out the mp3 for "Blacklight Horses," the new single from Matt Bauer's forthcoming album, The Jessamine County Book Of The Living, which features a fine guest vocal from Jolie Holland.

The mp3 is here (depending on your PC, browser and plug ins, you may have to right click to "save video as"--but if you do, it will download right into your computer, which is cool).

There is also a video for another track, entitled "When I Was A Mockingbird" here.

#59 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

I mentioned "Amen" by Edens Edge in the other thread. Today it's the free MP3 of the day over here.

#60 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

There are some free Marnie Stern mp3s over at killrockstars. I have just discovered this lady, and am being assaulted by a mixture of sounds that shouldn't really be played at the same time. I am glad they have been played at the same time, however; the overall effect is... pleasant and unusual.

She is definitely not the next big thing, though, that's for sure.