MP3s of the Moment!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,125 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

I'd like to have an MP3 of the Moment thread, one that works like the Trailers thread in the Film section.

We can post mp3s we find accessible on the web... tracks that seem to be provided properly and legally... as a way of checking out new music.

For example:

David Bazan's Black Cloud covers Radiohead's Let Down, and others cover the rest of OK Computer...

Over the Rhine - Trouble

Over the Rhine - Entertaining Thoughts

And Over the Rhine's If a Song Could Be President

Anybody have links you'd like to share?

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet, 25 July 2007 - 12:32 PM.

#2 Stephen Lamb

Stephen Lamb

• 313 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

A friend of mine, Andrew Osenga, recently posted an accoustic EP for free download at his blog: http://www.andrewose...e-editor-vol-1/. Andrew was the lead singer of The Normals before they disbanded, and then replaced Derek Webb in Caedmon's Call.

#3 Steve Vander Woude

Steve Vander Woude

• 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Iron and Wine - Boy With a Coin

#4 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

This would a great pinned thread.

Pelle Carlberg - "Clever Girls Like Clever Boys More Than Clever Boys Like Clever Girls"

I was drawn to this song because it features one of the best titles of a song EVER! Seriously, it's a ridiculously good title. Fortunately, the music is good too. Landing somewhere in between the sad-sack pop of The Queen is Dead era Smiths and the jauntier moments of Belle and Sebastian's Tigermilk, this song absolutely thrills someone like me who actually admits to listening to twee.

#5 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

A friend pointed me to two tracks from a band called Yeasayer:

"2080"
"Sunrise"

Sort of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah-ish, sort of Lansing-Dreiden-ish, and yet nothing like them.

The Mary Onettes put out one of my fave discs of the year. Here are some tracks:

"Lost"
"Void"

#6 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 872 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

Adrian Orange & Her Band : "You're My Home", from the new album on K Records this fall.

(full disclosure: that's me on piano. We didn't rehearse. The take on the album is probably my third time hearing the song ever--the recording environment at Calvin Johnson's legendary Dub Narcotic studios gave the session a sort of Stax records quality-- an emphasis on spontaneity and "vibe" over technical perfection.)

#7 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:45 AM

Here is an MP3, quite literally 'of the moment'. It seemed like a good idea at the time; it was not a good idea. It was and was not a good idea. So bad it's good, or so bad it's come back to bad again? Not sure.

Anyway, here is our valient attempt to create that primary-school vibe favoured by Maher Shalal Hash Baz:

Wake up

Edited by stu, 26 July 2007 - 06:46 AM.

#8 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

More and more of The Trumpet Child is out there.

Here's Over The Rhine - Who'm I Kiddin' But Me

#9 TheTrout

TheTrout

• 152 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

Judas by Peter La Grand.

He's a friend of a friend, but it's still one of my favourite songs from last year.

#10 Steve Vander Woude

Steve Vander Woude

• 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

Freight Train (Demo) - Jeremy Casella

Casella's new independently released album, Recovery, is outstanding. Check out four songs from Recovery at his myspace page.

#11 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

Musically, the new Kanye West song "Can't Tell Me Nothing'" isn't bad, but the video is genius.

It features Zach Galifianakis and Bonnie "Prince" Billy performing the song on a farm. (Minor Offensive Content Warning)

Edited by Clint M, 03 August 2007 - 07:16 AM.

#12 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,125 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

OTR - Let's Spend the Day in Bed

#13 stu

stu

• 899 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:14 AM

If you go to Explosions' in the sky's website and click on the album 'The earth is not a cold dead place' there is a free mp3 called 'Your Hand in Mine'.

This song does strange things to me. It gives me a little taste of heaven, and makes me sick for more.

#14 Steve Vander Woude

Steve Vander Woude

• 46 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Band of Horses, "Is There a Ghost" from the forthcoming album, Cease to Begin.

Download at their myspace page.

#15 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:39 PM

Caribou's "Melody Day" from Andorra.

Talk about the perfect song for the end of summer. It's a perfect blend of pop and haze.

#16 Steve Vander Woude

Steve Vander Woude

• 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

Iron & Wine, "Innocent Bones" from The Shepherd's Dog.

#17 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

I wish I could find an MP3 of The Lodger's "Getting Special", because it's one of my favorite pop songs right now. But these other three tracks from their debut full-length will have to suffice, I suppose.You can, however, listen to "Getting Special" on the band's MySpace page, and I suggest you do so. It starts off a little Franz Ferdinand-esque, but then blossoms into something that, for some reason, makes me think of Saint Etienne crossed with Pulp.

#18 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:36 AM

I wish I could find an actual MP3 of it, but Matthew Sweet has a new song posted on his MySpace page called (get this) "Badass." Despite having a very similar hook to the bonus track "So Far" from his greatest hits collection, the song rocks harder than anything he's done in years. His new album (still tentatively titled Rock Bottom) has been lingering in post-production hell for a year or so; I'm glad it'll be coming out soon.

#19 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:15 PM

"Friday Night at the Drive-In Bingo" - Jens Lekman from the album Night Falls Over Kortedala.

Jens Lekman continues his track records of writing ridiculously catchy tunes ("You are the Light", "Black Cab", "A Sweet Summers Night on Hammerhill", "the Opposite of Hallelujuah") and once again combines his affinity for Steven Merritt and motown in this uptemp horn laced ditty about a ...Friday night at the the drive-in Bingo.

#20 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

While I'm at it, more Jens

"You are the Light"
"Black Cab"
"The Opposite of Hallelujah"