Labyrinth (1986)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,996 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

Despite some imaginative visuals, such as the Escher-inspired omnidirectional castle at the finale, Labyrinth suffers from a distinct lack of charm, with poorly thought-out characters, limp plotting and a limp climax. Although positioned as a coming-of-age tale, Labyrinth indulges rather than challenges Sarah’s heroic-princess fantasies, with a made-to-order adversary whose whole world, for no very obvious reason, seems to revolve around Sarah.

-- Delivered by Feed43 service

Click here to read the full post at Decent Films; feel free to discuss this post below.

#2 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:52 AM

Hm. Thanks for this. I now realize that for years I have been confusing Labyrinth with another fantasy movie with an alliterating title that came out the previous year, Legend, and which also stars a major celebrity as the villain (Tim Curry). I've always despised Legend as a hyped up travesty of a fairytale (apologies to those who like it). Now I realize that I have never actually seen Labyrinth, but thanks to your review, I don't care much!

I can now definitively say that Labyrinth of the Faun was better than either of the above, although it included a surprising number of similar elements.

#3 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,659 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:56 AM

Watched this in the spring. It was a film my wife and I both had a memory of liking fairly well. But when we watched it this year, we were exceedingly disappointed.

#4 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

I love it when I was seven years old. Now all I like is the "Dance magic dance" song.

#5 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,509 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

FWIW, link to our thread on Legend.

BethR wrote:
: I now realize that for years I have been confusing Labyrinth with another fantasy movie with an alliterating title that came out the previous year, Legend . . .

Your confusion is even more understandable given that, IIRC, Legend was not released in North America until 1986, the same year as Labyrinth. (A different cut of Legend was released in Europe in 1985.)

#6 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(Peter T Chattaway @ Sep 7 2007, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW, link to our thread on Legend.

BethR wrote:
: I now realize that for years I have been confusing Labyrinth with another fantasy movie with an alliterating title that came out the previous year, Legend . . .

Your confusion is even more understandable given that, IIRC, Legend was not released in North America until 1986, the same year as Labyrinth. (A different cut of Legend was released in Europe in 1985.)

Since I didn't care for it, I had to rely on IMDb.com for the release date, so that's what I get! tongue.gif But by the same token, it really doesn't matter, matter, matter!

#7 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,785 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

As part of their "Week of Muppets," Tor.com has a post up about Labyrinth. I think it really gets a huge part of why I'm such a fan of this movie:

I adored Labyrinth as a little kid, and even more as a teenager, then throughout college and I still love it now as an adult, for many, many reasons. But the reason I love it most is that it features a headstrong young female protagonist taking on the world in jeans and sensible shoes.

If that doesn’t sound like much to you, then take into account the fact that the movie revolves around Sarah’s refusal to be treated as a princess (a word never once used in the script). One of the things that this movie does brilliantly is systematically reject the usual “princess” trope — Sarah’s happy ending isn’t going to be found on the arm of some fantasy heartthrob; her adventures in the labyrinth force her to abandon any such princess-y delusions. Her identity is her own, and she isn’t about to be swayed by any bedazzled, leather-loving, tight-panted gigolo with a castle, even if he is some sort of king.

#8 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Although positioned as a coming-of-age tale, <i>Labyrinth</i> indulges rather than challenges Sarah’s heroic-princess fantasies,</blockquote>

I am trying to decypher why this is a bad thing? I don't recall seeing this criticism being one I see leveled at heroic male leads...