Getting Healthy

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#101 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

Absolutely. I do stretch before any exercise so I think I am covered there. I will do some shoe shopping soon. Thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated.

#102 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Right now, my knees are just not responding well to it. I have tried to do some jogging/running but inevitably, my knees are very sore after I am done. I don't think that is a good thing...is it? What do I know? I have never jogged before like this so perhaps I should feel some pain in my knees.

There's knee soreness/discomfort and then there's knee pain. Soreness (even moderately intense) is just a reality of getting in shape, imo, and should not be feared. Your knees and shins are going to hurt and some hobbling in the early stages is to be expected regardless of your weight. Unless you've been diagnosed with a specific condition or sustained a serious injury to your knee, I say push through it, man! Take some ibuprofen and hit the road!

#103 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

Well, I took your advice Greg and the pain has improved. I am now doing a program called Couch 2 5K (or C25K for the cool kids). If I follow this program I am supposed to be able to run a 5K in about 90 days or less - some version say 60 days. I am on my first week of this. So far so good. I've never been a runner, but I would like to become one. I am planning on running my first 5K in October of this year. (It's for The Hope Clinic in Nashville.) If I can find another 5K before that I might try one a little sooner.

#104 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Seal team six: "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Posted Image

I had my operation to remove the defective vein in my right thigh. I'm wearing a compression stocking this week, but already I feel SO much better and lighter on my feet. I'm back to bounding up the stairs and walking a lot more. My doctor said the defect wasn't due to health or diet, just "bad genes" (meaning defective valves in that one vein).

#105 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Congrats Phill! Keep us posted on the 5K training. 60-90 days is a very reasonable goal. I found in the very early stages, focusing on keeping a sustained pace (no matter how slow) for 30-40 mins instead of the distance, liberated me to reach the goal a lot faster. Everyone's different, but the thought of 3.1 miles was very daunting to me at first and set up something of an invisible barrier.

Pax: Hope you rebound quickly!

I've been running through some pretty wretched heat here for the past month. In high humidity, tracking 3.5 - 4 miles feels a bit like I'm running 10. I try to be positive, but the bottom line is every session now begins with the mantra "oh man, this is gonna suck". And boy, does it ever. But the fact is I get the best post-run buzz in the summer. It's a buoyant kind of energy that lingers for hours.

#106 Christian

Christian

• 10,708 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

If I follow this program I am supposed to be able to run a 5K in about 90 days or less - some version say 60 days. I am on my first week of this. So far so good. I've never been a runner, but I would like to become one. I am planning on running my first 5K in October of this year. (It's for The Hope Clinic in Nashville.) If I can find another 5K before that I might try one a little sooner.

Congrats Phill! Keep us posted on the 5K training. 60-90 days is a very reasonable goal. I found in the very early stages, focusing on keeping a sustained pace (no matter how slow) for 30-40 mins instead of the distance, liberated me to reach the goal a lot faster. Everyone's different, but the thought of 3.1 miles was very daunting to me at first and set up something of an invisible barrier.

I've been running through some pretty wretched heat here for the past month. In high humidity, tracking 3.5 - 4 miles feels a bit like I'm running 10. I try to be positive, but the bottom line is every session now begins with the mantra "oh man, this is gonna suck". And boy, does it ever. But the fact is I get the best post-run buzz in the summer. It's a buoyant kind of energy that lingers for hours.

I was up to 2.5 miles for my morning run -- also training for a 5K in the fall -- and then read a book that suggested going for time rather than distance might be a good option. The 2.5 miles were taking me about 22:30, so I decided to go up to 25 minutes. I've done that the past couple of weeks. I get to 2.72 miles. Starting in June, I'll go for 30 minutes. I think that should put me at right about 3.1 miles, maybe a bit short. Once I've done that for a while, I think I'll try to run the same distance at various speeds -- bursts or drills or whatever the sprints are called in between the more leisurely paced running.

Oh, and I'll finally buy some new running shoes next week, and maybe one pair of running shorts and one "wicking" shirt. I don't think I'll be shelling out too much, but we'll see if I get talked into additional purchases.

#107 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

I was up to 2.5 miles for my morning run -- also training for a 5K in the fall -- and then read a book that suggested going for time rather than distance might be a good option. The 2.5 miles were taking me about 22:30, so I decided to go up to 25 minutes. I've done that the past couple of weeks. I get to 2.72 miles.

That's actually not bad at all, man. Time is definitely a less intimidating mental factor than distance-- glad to hear it's working for you. Sounds to me like you're ready for that race, now!

#108 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hey homies-- don't forget what today is!

#109 Christian

Christian

• 10,708 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hey homies-- don't forget what today is!

Pretty cool that I cracked 3.1 miles on National Running Day. I was heading for that landmark and got caught up in something on the TV monitor. By the time I looked down, I was at 3.2 miles. I think I hit 3.25 miles at the 30-minute mark.

I still need to buy some decent running shoes.

#110 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,322 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Christian, if there's a running store in town, go get fitted for shoes. At least here in Knoxville, the two specialty stores charge a bit more but it's totally worth it to get the right shoe. Some places will even ask you to jog on a treadmill, and they'll show you video of your stride. For example, I have a slight hip imbalance and tend to put too much pressure on the outside of my knees, so I was fitted for shoes that help counteract that. The difference between an okay shoe and the *right* shoe will become more and more obvious as you increase your distances.

#111 Christian

Christian

• 10,708 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

Christian, if there's a running store in town, go get fitted for shoes. At least here in Knoxville, the two specialty stores charge a bit more but it's totally worth it to get the right shoe. Some places will even ask you to jog on a treadmill, and they'll show you video of your stride. For example, I have a slight hip imbalance and tend to put too much pressure on the outside of my knees, so I was fitted for shoes that help counteract that. The difference between an okay shoe and the *right* shoe will become more and more obvious as you increase your distances.

That's the plan. We have a store called Pacers here in Fairfax City -- the only retailer that's survived an attempt to revive the small "downtown" area, which was redeveloped just in time for the economic collapse -- and I've been wanting an excuse to spend some $$ there.

#112 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

I just finished week 5 of the C25K program. The final day of Week five was a 20 minute run. Prior to that run, the longest run the program had required was two 8 minute runs on the second day of Week 5. I was a bit nervous about the 20 minute run, but I knocked it out yesterday afternoon. I haven't run/jogged for 20 straight minutes in probably 15 years, if not longer. I felt great when I finished it. I was tired, and my legs were sore, but man did it feel good. My 8 year old son runs with me and we were high-fiving each other and grinning like idiots after we finished. I have a 25 minute run at the end of this week. It does not worry me at all now.

#113 Christian

Christian

• 10,708 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

I just finished week 5 of the C25K program. The final day of Week five was a 20 minute run. Prior to that run, the longest run the program had required was two 8 minute runs on the second day of Week 5. I was a bit nervous about the 20 minute run, but I knocked it out yesterday afternoon. I haven't run/jogged for 20 straight minutes in probably 15 years, if not longer. I felt great when I finished it. I was tired, and my legs were sore, but man did it feel good. My 8 year old son runs with me and we were high-fiving each other and grinning like idiots after we finished. I have a 25 minute run at the end of this week. It does not worry me at all now.

Your 8-year-old runs 20 minutes? Dang. Took me until age 40 to do that.

#114 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

I took me until 33 to do it. When I was younger, I was always very active and played a lot of sports, but I never was a runner/jogger. I wish I had been. My son took an interest in running when he signed up with some of his school friends to do the Kids Music City Marathon in Nashville. They were required to run for 25.2 miles prior the final day, where they had to run 1 mile around LP Field (The Tennessee Titans stadium - NFL team for those that don't know). It was around the time he finished with the marathon that I was starting to take interest in running. So, we are training together. He is an awesome kid and it's so much more fun to have someone to run with. He is much farther along than I am though. He didn't even break a sweat yesterday. I was drenched.

#115 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

I did the first of three 28 minute runs last night and it went surprisingly well. I had one tough stretch about half way through the run that was on an incline. After that it was more difficult, but I was still able to finish. Next week is my last week.

While the program is called Couch to 5K, even when I jog for 30 minutes, I won't be up to 3 miles in distance. My pace right now is too slow for that. I am averaging about 12 minute miles - I know, very slow - but right now I am happy to just be jogging the entire time I am supposed to jog. After I do the 30 minutes for a few weeks I will start to work on my pace.

#116 Christian

Christian

• 10,708 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

That's the plan. We have a store called Pacers here in Fairfax City -- the only retailer that's survived an attempt to revive the small "downtown" area, which was redeveloped just in time for the economic collapse -- and I've been wanting an excuse to spend some $$ there.

We made the trip today. I bought a pair of Nikes, along with a shirt, a pair of shorts and an iPod wristband thing that I may yet regret (I wore it around the house this afternoon). Those three items cost more, in total, than the pair of shoes. That's OK. I'll probably feel more comfortable buying shorts/shirts/etc. off the rack at TJ Maxx or wherever now that I've done one full-price purchase.

#117 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

I'm now doing 30 minute runs consistently. Have been for a few weeks. Technically, I am finished with the Couch To 5K program, which is something I did not think was possible just a few months ago. In other health related news, I have lost 36 pounds as of this morning and only have another 34 pounds to go to reach my goal. I weigh less now than I did 10 years ago.

#118 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

I'm now doing 30 minute runs consistently. Have been for a few weeks. Technically, I am finished with the Couch To 5K program, which is something I did not think was possible just a few months ago. In other health related news, I have lost 36 pounds as of this morning and only have another 34 pounds to go to reach my goal. I weigh less now than I did 10 years ago.

Right on! This is very encouraging, Phill.

#119 Christian

Christian

• 10,708 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

That is great, Phill. Did you change the way you eat, or is the weight loss due primarily to running?

My running has hit a wall. I was up to 6K+ runs after months on the treadmill, then finally bought a decent pair of running shoes, a shirt, and some shorts, and headed outdoors to run in "the real world." I knew the transition wouldn't be a piece of cake, but I didn't anticipate my inability to run even short distances in my neighborhood without being badly winded. Frankly, I'm bewildered and not sure what to do next. I'm thinking of claiming that I reached my 5K goal without ever running an actual 5K, and then returning to my treadmill, defeated. I'm not to that point yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

Edited by Christian, 09 August 2011 - 11:46 AM.

#120 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

My running has hit a wall. I was up to 6K+ runs after months on the treadmill, then finally bought a decent pair of running shoes, a shirt, and some shorts, and headed outdoors to run in "the real world." I knew the transition wouldn't be a piece of cake, but I didn't anticipate my inability to run even short distances in my neighborhood without being badly winded.

Eww! You know what's funny, is I had the exact opposite experience in the early goings. I trained outdoors exclusively and then tried to run on the treadmill at a gym a few times and hit a miserable wall. I don't know if there is a simple answer why this happens, but it definitely sucks.

I'm currently trying to juggle a new 11-hour work day, the responsibility of four kids, a garage band project and a girlfriend and have inadvertently dumped my steady running routine. It's been a solid month since I've run at all. Surprisingly I haven't gained any weight but I do feel less energy, overall. Gotta get back on the open road!