• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (joel @ Jun 16 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just imagining what it would have been like to stand in that crowd. Those four snare hits at the beginning of "Only Shallow" had to be the all-time biggest moment of pent-up anticipation in the history of indie rock. I wouldn't have been surprised if some people had dropped dead of sheer excitement before the the first notebend was finished.

Some similar thoughts ran through my head. I had a hard time breathing for about 10 minutes when I read the initial report.

But on the same token, no matter how good it was, I'm sure it may not have lived up to some folks' expectations. (Just as I'm sure some of the well-received reunions in the past few years the Pixies, the original Dino Jr. line-up had their share of naysayers. Party poopers. smile.gif )

#22 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

Crappy sound quality, but even so...

Here's the original video for "Only Shallow":

#23 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

Awesome video of "To Here Knows When" from the Fuji Rock Festival...

#24 draper

draper

• 442 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:44 AM

If the ringing in my ears, the stammering, the blindness and disorientation would stop. I could tell you that last night, at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium was amazing.

The sound was spectacular. I had a set list but somewhere around minute 15 of You Made Me Realize, everything went white. There was an electromagnetic storm that erased all memory. I remember Belinda introduced two roadies and said "Thank you for coming".

Kevin Shields said something like I am fond of crisps and then the lights went magenta, people got nose bleeds, paramedics went on alert and a fantastic show wrapped up in a squall of hiss that was epic in a way that getting sucked through a jet engine must be.

I don't generally rate a concert experience by ones ability to survive it. MBV have raised the bar.

Edited by mumbleypeg, 03 October 2008 - 09:44 AM.

#25 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

I'm more than a tiny bit jealous. Every word I've heard from these shows is nothing short of glowing. It makes me wish I could make it/afford a show. Although my 2+ year drought of concerts make me think my ears couldn't handle it anymore. I'm starting to become the "if its too loud turn it down" guy. Boo.

#26 draper

draper

• 442 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

Spectrum opened the show. It is a new band fronted by Sonic Boom from spaceman3. It reminded me at times of really loud really slow Stooges, at other times it was really loud Feelies meets every version of Sister Ray you have ever heard.

I had ear plugs in early. When MBV began, I took the plugs out but only briefly to compare the sound and listen to all the overtones.

The set list:
I Only Said
When You Sleep
You Never Should
(When You Wake)You're Still In A Dream
Cigarette In Your Bed
Come In Alone
Only Shallow
Thorn
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Slow
Soon
Feed Me Your Kiss
You Made Me Realise

The Santa Monica Civic is an auditorium with a floor slanted towards the stage. The visibility was excellent. The sound was detailed and very clear. The Lights and projections were really interesting, perhaps only bested by Radiohead.

The ear plugs were really necessary. It was a show that was far better than my expectations. I has seen very few shows that seemed to alter, time, space and chemistry simply in the way the sound impacted the room. This one really seemed to do that .

Edited by mumbleypeg, 03 October 2008 - 01:45 PM.

#27 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Reissues of Loveless, Isn't Anything, and various EPs and whatnot will be released May 7 (details, artwork).

Pitchfork interviews Kevin Shields about the reissues, and why it took so long.

#28 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 358 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Reissues of Loveless, Isn't Anything, and various EPs and whatnot will be released May 7 (details, artwork).

Pitchfork interviews Kevin Shields about the reissues, and why it took so long.

There is also a new song in that interview. A. New. Song!

#29 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 358 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

http://mybloodyvalentine.org/

It is here!

#30 bloop

bloop

• 197 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

I love it already. Not digging the album cover, though.

#31 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,161 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

NPR:

I think we were all a bit scared. What if we didn't like it? We waited more than 20 years for a new My Bloody Valentine record — heck, a few of us weren't even born when Loveless came out in 1991.

On Saturday night, the band released its new album, MBV, on its website. The site immediately crashed. Shortly afterward, someone started a petition to request that the White House fix My Bloody Valentines website. Many hours and many page refreshes later, the page worked. The website probably eased up as the most hardcore fans got their copies — and as torrent sites started offering downloads — and soon the band put the songs on YouTube.

I think it sounds pretty damn great. A sigh of relief, I'd say. But what do you think? Did you pay for the music? Will you?

All of the YouTube songs are embedded in the NPR story.

#32 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'll finally be able to give it a full listen today. I left my headphones at work over the weekend, so I've only listened to two songs so far, and on my laptop. I was definitely intrigued by what I heard, especially by the first song, but wanted to wait until I could really do the album justice with a proper listening setup.

#33 bloop

bloop

• 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

It's almost like 3 3-song EPs, but it works well together. It'll be hard to top this with me this year.