Channel 4

The Times

The Telegraph

#2 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

Ark replicas are everywhere.

It also ups the ante in the competition to build a big ark. Middle brother and ark champion Thomas Kwok insisted that it be constructed according to biblical specs, in part to distinguish it from one in the Netherlands that actually floats and boasts real farm animals but is just one-fifth the size of the biblical original.

Minders of the Dutch ark say they were in touch with the Hong Kong team and don't see it as competition. "We stand for the same goal as far as I can tell," said Jacky Baken, a 35-year-old gardener who quit her business to work full time on the ark. She says the group is at work on a full-size water-going version. And, she says, "We're still the first one with the floating ark."

These are just the latest additions to a veritable ark armada built around the world by the devout and the merely driven -- from a 300-foot-long ark built by a pastor in the Canadian town of Florenceville, New Brunswick, to one built by Greenpeace in 2007 on Turkey's Mount Ararat, warning of "impending climate disaster."

Richard Greene, a 72-year-old evangelical minister, began building his full-size ark, in Frostburg, Md., after a vision he says came to him in 1974. Mr. Greene ran out of funds in the 1990s, leaving a giant skeleton of concrete and steel, but he says that 35 years on, he hasn't lost hope, though he can't help but be in awe of the other ark-builders. "If I got jealous of what other people are doing, this whole thing would have sunk years ago," he says. "You just keep on keeping on...But if God doesn't move a lot quicker, I won't be around to see the completion of this ark."

#3 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Apr 14 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Concrete? Steel?

Ah, so you have never heard of the Concrete Canoe competitions that propagate around engineering schools? Drexel has a top program. We here have Lawrence Tech, UM-Ann Arbor and Dearborn, Wayne State, Kettering (formerly GMI), and Eastern Michigan with noted schools wihin a 30 minute radius. The media loves that stuff here.

#4 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

So not only did Noah have to discover all 14 varieties of finch on the Galapagos isles he also had to invent concrete and the steeling process?

Not sure whether the majority of those here will enjoy or hate this Noah skit from Richard Herring, but I'm tickled by it at least.

Matt

#5 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,791 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Rich Kennedy @ Apr 15 2009, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Alan Thomas @ Apr 14 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Concrete? Steel?
Ah, so you have never heard of the Concrete Canoe competitions that propagate around engineering schools? Drexel has a top program. We here have Lawrence Tech, UM-Ann Arbor and Dearborn, Wayne State, Kettering (formerly GMI), and Eastern Michigan with noted schools wihin a 30 minute radius. The media loves that stuff here.

I suspect Alan's bemusement centers on the incongruity of these particular building materials in relation to the antediluvian context of the intended tribute.

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

"Evangelical" explorers have discovered Noah's Ark, although they've given themselves a 0.1% chance that they're wrong.

#7 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,241 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

"Evangelical" explorers have discovered Noah's Ark, although they've given themselves a 0.1% chance that they're wrong.

I rather wish the article hadn't been published solely by a news outlet as thoroughly worthless as The Sun. I'm quite skeptical, but I would like more detail.

Edited by Ryan H., 27 April 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#8 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

I would agree with your statement Ryan if you had included the word "solely" after published.

Matt

#9 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,241 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

I would agree with your statement Ryan if you had included the word "solely" after published.

Matt

Retroactively added. Happy? :P

#10 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,882 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Well, the Toronto Star ran a story of its own on this subject, too, for whatever that's worth.

#11 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,945 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

I know this is gonna shock people...

But apparently, it probably ain't the http://www.aolnews.c...-hoax/19459208'>real deal.

(
http://www.aolnews.c...a-hoax/19459208 )

Edited by Nezpop, 30 April 2010 - 12:29 AM.

#12 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

I rather wish the article hadn't been published solely by a news outlet as thoroughly worthless as The Sun. I'm quite skeptical, but I would like more detail.

What Ryan said.

;)

Matt

Edited by MattPage, 30 April 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#13 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,945 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

What Ryan said.

;)

Matt

Hey, it was reported on by Fox!

#14 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Noah's Ark replica shows conservative Christians are embracing green building

From the article:

One might say that stories about green architecture have now officially jumped the ark.

#15 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,902 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Noah's Ark replica shows conservative Christians are embracing green building

From the article:

One might say that stories about green architecture have now officially jumped the ark.

As a consortium that includes his group prepares to break ground this spring on a biblical theme park called Ark Encounter, which will include a replication of Noah's Ark built according to the dimensions given in the Book of Genesis, it is turning to the latest trends in "green" architecture. Scheduled to open in 2014, Ark Encounter will include environmentally sustainable technology "from Day One," Zovath said, and will be built by a firm that specializes in LEED-certified construction and design, the industry standard for environmentally efficient buildings.

"Green building", yada, yada, yada ... a Noah's Ark theme park??? Wait a minute, this is ... actually ... true ...
Posted Image
It'll be just like Disneyland, in more ways than one.

Ken Ham and company is at it again. The Creation Museum near Cincinnati has decided to expand and build an 800-acre theme-park style complex featuring a replica of Noah’s Ark. The project will cost an estimated 125 million dollars and is scheduled to open in 2014 in nearby Williamstown, KY ... According to The Ark Encounter web site, this mammoth “themed attraction” will include nine areas:

• A Walled City—This is where guests will enter and gather. It will include “period shops, restaurants, and venues that bring to life the city and times in which Noah lived, including his house.” According to planners, the city will depict “the lifestyle of the people of Noah’s day.” Considering the Bible says this about life in Noah’s day—“Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually,” and “Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence,” (Gen 6:5, 11) the possibilities stagger one’s imagination. I wonder what characters will represent the “Seven Deadly Sins”? “Please, mommy, I want a hug from Envy!”
  • Noah’s Ark. The Ark will be the park’s central attraction. Guests will take a tour of the structure so that they may “gain an understanding of how it could have been built, and how Noah, his family, and all of the representative kinds of land animals were cared for, and then survived on board for 370 days of the Flood and its aftermath.” Given the fact that Scripture says nothing about any of this, one wonders about how “Biblical” these “themed presentations” will be. The highlight of each day will be a spectacular show “featuring the ‘parade of animals’ and the dramatic ‘eruption of the fountains of the great deep.’” Will there be re-enactments of sinners drowning and crying out in hysteria and panic? Carcasses of dead, bloated animals floating on the surface of the lake? A nearby ravaged landscape? Will the greatest historical example of God’s wrath being poured out on the earth be “fun” and “exciting” or will it communicate anything at all about the actual fear of God and the reality of Divine judgment?
  • Noah’s Animals—According to the site, “This area will be similar to a petting zoo, complete with barns, a petting animal area, an open grazing area, a stage for daily live animal and bird shows, and lots of meet-and-greet areas for close-up encounters with unique animals and birds.” Why sure, because that is what the story of Noah’s Ark in the Bible is all about: lots and lots of cute animals providing squeals of delight for the kids. I never could understand why the Flood story was so popular in Sunday School literature and children’s books and toys. I can’t think of a more horrifying narrative! (What’s next, a Sodom and Gomorrah theme park? “Enter over there, by the pillar of salt, ma’am.”) When it comes to the Flood, nothing tells the story of God destroying the land and creating absolute chaos, mayhem, and universal death like a parade of cute little baby animals frolicking two by two up the Ark’s ramp.
  • Children’s Play Area—Another “fun-filled” and family-friendly area, this part of the park will “be highly themed with bridge nets, climbing areas, slides, and zip lines.” Maybe if the kids in Noah’s day had some of these cool things, they could have escaped the destruction. Quick! to the zip line!
  • The Tower of Babel—Ironically, the motivation for those who built the original city of Babylon and its tower was, “so that we may make a name for ourselves” (Gen 11:4). ‘Nuff said.
  • Journey through Biblical History—Not content to give answers from Genesis, the park will depict “the formation of Israel, Moses and the ten plagues in Egypt, and the parting of the Red Sea.” They give no details here, so perhaps these will mostly be portrayed in trailers for coming attractions.
  • The First Century Village—Their description of this part of the park is so subtle that one can only conclude this is the area where the “Gospel Presentation” will take place. Can’t have a Christian theme park without an altar call. The clue is “First Century.” Fast forward to the time of . . . you got it—Jesus. In their words, “The experience culminates with a visit to the Performing Arts Theater where a combined live and video-based show shares the summary of what guests have seen at the Ark Encounter.” You’ve seen the presentation, now it’s time to buy the condo.
  • Aviary—A bird and butterfly sanctuary. Why? Well, presumably because of the birds that directed Noah to dry land after the Flood. Or, perhaps it is because so many people have asked, “What happened to birds during the Flood?” Apologetics is important, you know. Gotta be able to give a reason for what you believe, even down to a question like this.
  • Special Events Area—I love this one. Note their description: “An area where large groups can have private outings away from the main guest areas will showcase some of the Leaders in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) building techniques used to construct the Ark Encounter. These techniques feature LEED standards in the use of wind and solar power, renewable resources, and preservation of the land. This will attract many educational groups and be positioned outside of the actual walled area—allowing for large group meetings and private events.” What? Nothing says environmental concern like a theme park about God destroying the world! The emphasis here on being “green” certainly sounds like a departure from the usual conservative party line. Oh wait, educational groups coming to learn about this will be “outside the actual walled area.” They will be consigned to the “Court of the Gentiles,” where the unwashed put a high value on such questionable concerns as environmentalism and the fact that humans might be able to do something to protect the natural world.

If you build it, they will come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajeZftkRKw